Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by PretentiousHipster Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:06 pm

Zeros and Ones.

Looks like this actually might have been the biggest case of false advertising I've seen. Watch the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHje2IaqZGg

I knew something was off because it was directed by Abel Ferrara. He made some stuff that was more successful for the mainstream back in the 80s and 90s, but slowly drifted towards the more avant-garde (both eras are great imo). I knew to follow him closely after watching Welcome to New York (Not King of New York) which just might have the best performance ever, by Gérard Depardieu. I came in expected something along the lines of his other films, but whatever the trailer said.

The best way to describe it is Blackhat without the action. An exercise in style, but some of the most phenomenal stylistic shots I've seen in quite a while. Very close and in your face as it is a covid film, but he uses that to his advantage by using lots of strong lights resulting in intimidating looking shadowy figures.

I had no damn clue what happened, apparently Ethan Hawke didn't know wtf it was about when he read the script, in fact he didn't even call it a script, but honestly when the style, mood, and atmosphere was top notch. Who cares.

Not my favourite of the year though. Nothing will come even close to Benedetta.
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

by TheSSNintendo Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:10 pm

Spider-Man 2.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:21 pm

Recently bought a bunch of Christmas movies on Blu-ray and last night I watched the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
marurun

by marurun Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:53 pm

That’s a great Christmas classic, though it’s not even Thanksgiving, yet so what is wrong with you? Let us have our Turkey Time, you dirty heathen!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:58 pm

marurun wrote:That’s a great Christmas classic, though it’s not even Thanksgiving, yet so what is wrong with you? Let us have our Turkey Time, you dirty heathen!

In order:

Yes it is. I know it's not even Thanksgiving yet. Your comma is in the wrong spot. Fuck if I know. And that's rich coming from someone who calls Thanksgiving "Turkey Time".
marurun

by marurun Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:19 pm

I have had a comma displacement disorder all day. Christmas has a time and place. That time and place is not before Thanksgiving. And what’s wrong with calling Thanksgiving Turkey Time? I’m thankful for turkey and the time I get to spend with my family cooking and eating it!

So glad you enjoyed the original animated Grinch and not the horrific reimagining the story has had to suffer, at least.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:22 pm

Jim Carrey Grinch or Benedict Cumberbatch Grinch?

I actually enjoyed the Carrey Grinch movie, and while I haven't seen the Cumberbatch Grinch movie I haven't heard many good things.
marurun

by marurun Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:32 pm

Either. Only good Grinch is animated Grinch.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:29 am

It's turkey time... Gobble gobble
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:57 pm

I don't remember if I posted about Dune. I saw it. It's...interesting. I like what I saw, but so much of the movie just feels like set up. It's like everything really cool is going to happen in the next movie and it sucks having to wait. They've definitely laid down the foundation for something great here though. I never saw the original Dune, but I can't imagine it being as ambitious and huge in scope as this new iteration seems to be.

Next, I want to check out Last NIght in Soho. I've heard good things. Also, I'm looking forward to checking out The Outpost (2020) and Boss Level.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever