Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by RCBH928 Tue May 10, 2022 12:08 am

Hotel Artemis

I was hestitant because of the 6.5/10 IMDB score, I was afraid I might see something like The Expendables (surprisingly was 6.4/10) , but I found it to be on par with my expectations. I think people had an idea that its going to be a big blockbuster.

The end was meh though , which is a constant issue with a lot of films. One would anticipate a more interesting closing for the events.
Maybe the ending was the reason for the 6.5/10 score
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Fri May 20, 2022 7:02 pm

A Chip and Dale reboot came out today straight to streaming. Normally I wouldn't care because Disney just does cash grabs, but I was told by someone I trust that it's the best Disney films in years... and wtf she was right it was such a huge surprise.

The best way to describe it is a postmodern shitpost. It makes fun of both itself, and the nostalgia heavy wave that's going on now. Of course, it's still a kids film so expect many of those tropes to be used, but it even makes fun of itself for using some of them. Self-aware and self-referential at its most extreme. I had a blast going through it.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri May 20, 2022 10:36 pm

Completely forgot to mention this but last week for Friday the 13th I watched two of the films.

Between the end of my shift at Muffins and Scones and my evening shift at Cups and Cones, I decided to pop in Friday the 13th Part V, which for the longest time was the black sheep of the series, but I still enjoyed it.

Later that night, after getting home from my evening job, I decided to watch Part VI, which kickstarted the era of the undead zombie Jason, in lieu of the more human Jason of Parts 2-4.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun May 29, 2022 6:12 pm

Batman Forever...its no where near as bad as people make it sound. Certainly better than those "Michael Bay" movies and Fast and Furious especially considering the year of release was 1995. Van Kilmer gave a good performance unfortunately the Batman Character just does not match his physical looks , and I feel Tommy Lee Jones did a bad Two-Face performance , The Riddler took the spotlight as the main villain. Maybe it was intentional.

Definitely a Blockbuster...
marurun

by marurun Mon May 30, 2022 10:09 pm

The Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers movie on Disney+ is frikkin awesome. Ugly Sonic is a major character. The even gave Tress MacNeille proper billing above some of the Hollywood voices. The sheer number of cameos and 90s culture references across different properties, types of properties, and IP owners is insane. I’ve also never seen Disney so willing to lampoon their own legacy. I’d say the movie rivals Who Framed Roger Rabbit pretty well except for two key problems: the major human deuteragonist is not a very good actor and some of the major references date the film in a way that will harm its appeal long term in a manner very unlike Roger Rabbit. This movie is awesome right now but may not be very awesome in 20 years. So watch it now. Don’t wait.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue May 31, 2022 6:08 pm

marurun wrote:The Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers movie on Disney+ is frikkin awesome. Ugly Sonic is a major character. The even gave Tress MacNeille proper billing above some of the Hollywood voices. The sheer number of cameos and 90s culture references across different properties, types of properties, and IP owners is insane. I’ve also never seen Disney so willing to lampoon their own legacy. I’d say the movie rivals Who Framed Roger Rabbit pretty well except for two key problems: the major human deuteragonist is not a very good actor and some of the major references date the film in a way that will harm its appeal long term in a manner very unlike Roger Rabbit. This movie is awesome right now but may not be very awesome in 20 years. So watch it now. Don’t wait.

I’m actually really excited for that one. Glad you enjoyed it!
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Tue May 31, 2022 6:34 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
marurun wrote:The Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers movie on Disney+ is frikkin awesome. Ugly Sonic is a major character. The even gave Tress MacNeille proper billing above some of the Hollywood voices. The sheer number of cameos and 90s culture references across different properties, types of properties, and IP owners is insane. I’ve also never seen Disney so willing to lampoon their own legacy. I’d say the movie rivals Who Framed Roger Rabbit pretty well except for two key problems: the major human deuteragonist is not a very good actor and some of the major references date the film in a way that will harm its appeal long term in a manner very unlike Roger Rabbit. This movie is awesome right now but may not be very awesome in 20 years. So watch it now. Don’t wait.

I’m actually really excited for that one. Glad you enjoyed it!

Saw the trailer of this movie, and I wasn't really a fan of their new voices (I'm so used to them talking with their chipmunk accent). But I'll give it a try at some point since I was a huge fan of the TV series.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:00 am

Last movie I watched was Superfly (1972). I had heard about this movie for years and have been a fan of the Curtis Mayfield song for a long time but somehow never sat down to watch the movie.

I really enjoyed it! Had some action scenes, had some suspenseful moments, and some funny moments as well. Wish I had checked it out much earlier!
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:34 am

Adam Chaplin is considered the bloodiest action film ever made. I saw it expecting that for goofy fun. What I got is a film that is so much of a fever dream with filming techniques that I've never seen before, to the point that I would call it an avant-garde film. It's one guy doing pretty much everything, almost giving Neil Breen energy, but he seems a lot more competent in his craft. Fantastic action scenes despite most of it looks like it was made in a broom closet. A huge surprise.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:26 pm

Cronenberg's new film Crimes of the Future opened wide here (didn't expect that at all). The trailer got me hyped. It was nothing like the trailer but it somehow surpassed my expectations. The message was a bit obvious like 5 minutes into the film, but other than that political message it's pretty much a combination of Crash and Cosmopolis. Fantastic filming locations too. One of the movies that has a Dystopian setting where it seems really accurate. Kristen Stewart's performance is totally unhinged. Seriously one of the creepiest characters I've seen in a while.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever