What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Ack »

Did you see the remake of Death Wish with Bruce Willis? If so, how would you compare the two?
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Ack wrote:Did you see the remake of Death Wish with Bruce Willis? If so, how would you compare the two?

Death wish remake is so so. Acting is top notch in nobody and you really feel for the guy. Just my opinion though. This movie is way better
Ack

Post by Ack »

stickem wrote:
Ack wrote:Did you see the remake of Death Wish with Bruce Willis? If so, how would you compare the two?

Death wish remake is so so. Acting is top notch in nobody and you really feel for the guy. Just my opinion though. This movie is way better

Yeah, the Death Wish remake was...not good. I was concerned when I saw the trailer for Nobody that it was going to go that route. Glad to hear it's better!
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Ack wrote:
stickem wrote:

Yeah, the Death Wish remake was...not good. I was concerned when I saw the trailer for Nobody that it was going to go that route. Glad to hear it's better!

If you ever watch it, the dude missing trash days cracks me up. Pisses every guy off I imagine though. Plus bruce Willis mails it in these days.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

And the final movie of the unofficial "foreign film month" is:

Haunted Dormitory: Marionette Teacher

So we move from India over to China for a very odd ghost story, with a plot that feels like it was ripped right out of one of those Saturday morning mystery cartoons from the 70s, but without the fun or the charm. People spend an exorbitant about of time wandering around looking for people and calling their name. The entire backstory is conveniently provided by a creepy caretaker. The situation isn't what you think it is.... and on and on. It's basically a highly manufactured horror film filled with a bunch of horror cliches, plus an added romance angle, because that ticked off all the boxes on their list of "things that are popular now, right?" (I blame Twilight.) AND THEN it has terrible, rapid-paced subtitles with poor grammar and nonexistent punctuation.

Oh! And this is the synopsis, taken right off of the IMDB webpage:

In short: Run away! Run away!

Unless you're like Ack, in which case my advise would be: Get drunk and have fun.

Cheers!
Ack

Post by Ack »

You know me so well, Michi.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Based on the movie poster and the title I cannot tell if this is a good movie or a bad movie.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

MrPopo wrote:Based on the movie poster and the title I cannot tell if this is a good movie or a bad movie.

Hint: It is never once explained why they call her "Marionette Teacher".
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Retelling the events of the classic Doctor Who serial "The Daleks", we find Dr. Who (Peter Cushing) traveling in TARDIS (not "the TARDIS", just "TARDIS") with his granddaughters Susan and Barbara and the latter's boyfriend Ian to the mysterious planet of Skaro and encounter the fiendish Daleks and peaceful Thals.

This and its followup Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150AD both exist in their own continuity, as well as in the established DW universe as films loosely adapted from The Doctor's stories.

Definitely worth a watch, especially to fellow Whovians and/or fans of retro sci-fi.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

REPO Man wrote:This and its followup Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150AD both exist in their own continuity, as well as in the established DW universe as films loosely adapted from The Doctor's stories.

Nothing in Doctor Who exists in its own continuity. Everything can be retconned into the series now, and I would be delighted to see the show runners work in Peter Cushing as an alternative Doctor or:

Doctor preceding the First Doctor!

Also, @michi, I am surprised that there aren’t more good horror films from China. Japan and Korea have produced some outstanding horror films, but despite a well-developed film industry, Dumplings (2004) and Rigor Mortis (2013) are the only good Chinese horror films I’ve seen.