Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by REPO Man Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:43 am

Just finished Scream, the new one that serves as a take on legacy sequels and requels, the latter being equal parts remake and sequel. I enjoyed it and can't wait for Scream 6, which I've heard will go into work mid-2022.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:27 pm

After having finished Disney's Doug on Disney+ I decided to watch "Doug's First Movie". Originally planned for a straight-to-video release as "The First Doug Movie Ever", this film was initially planned for the straight-to-video market before Disney got the "brilliant" idea to put this in theaters following the success of The Rugrats Movie. This is ironic since before getting snatched up by Disney, Doug was one of the first Nicktoons, alongside Rugrats. They weren't the only original Nicktoons but we don't talk about THAT series.

The plot of this so-so flick, which was the last theatrically-released animated motion picture to use traditional cel animation, serves as an end to a running arc throughout the series involving Skeeter's suspicions of a monster in the nearby lake. But soon Doug and his friends find themselves in a tragically banal battle with a local industrialist who sees the monster's existence as damning evidence of his company's pollution of the lake.

Not only should this never have been released theatrically, but to be honest, billing this as the show's finale is an insult. The show's final episode serves as a much better finale, while this serves as more like the plot to a two-part episode, or God forbid a three-parter, set in the show's second of three seasons. While the Disney-made continuation is often derided as inferior by fans of the original Nickelodeon seasons, this show definitely deserved better.

Also, did you know that the voice of Patty, Constance Shulman, also played Yoga Jones on Orange is the New Black?
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:23 pm

John Carpetner Vampires , this is my second viewing since release. I think its one of the better (if not best) vampire movies out there , maybe tied to Blade (I need to rewatch) at least in the action genre. Ok, Interview with the Vampire is probably better, but that was more on the drama side of things.

Most vampire and zombie movies are just mindless stabbing, screaming, and trying to disgust you out. This was more on the realistic side of the spectrum than absolute mindless action.
marurun

by marurun Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:43 pm

Turning Red was just absolutely delightful. Truly a modern coming-of-age parable. Also super Canadian, which lends a certain fun flavor.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:34 am

Watched Spider-Man: No Way Home over the weekend. Thought it was a pretty fun watch. Enjoyed all the cameos, funny moments, and some good action sequences.

The Tom Holland Spider-Man movies have been my favorite of the various reboots over the years.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:36 pm

On my break today at work I rewatched Jean-Luc Godard's 1957 short film "All the Boys Are Called Patrick", about a man who makes dates with two women but doesn't know the two are best friends. It's on The Criterion Channel as part of their "French New Wave Shorts" collection.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:20 am

Onwards with my unofficial bloody movie month:

Bloody Birthday

Three kids born during a total solar eclipse turn into cherub-faced little serial killers right before their 10th birthday. Except no one wants to believe that these cute little buggers could ever be so devious, so it falls on their classmate Timmy and his older sister Joyce to put the little snots in their place and end their bloody little rampage.

This is the type of movie with a very dumb plot, but a lot of interesting scenes, almost like the filmmakers had a lot ideas for some deaths, and then decided to build a movie around it. As a result, parts of it can be fun, but the story is a mess and the characters, especially the "heroes", are forced to act like brain-dead idiots in order for all the scenes to play out the way the filmmakers wanted. But thankfully the acting is pretty good, so this "killer kid" flick doesn't end up being a total wash.

Blood Tide

A man and his wife go out in search of the man's missing sister, who's been spotted somewhere out in the Greek islands. They find the woman, and her captain friend, but they also end up encountering an ancient curse that seems to have somehow gotten a-hold of the man's sister.

File this one under "Movies that would have been better as sort film." You've got a decent cast, a great location, and a fun premise involving a mythical monster that likes to eat virgins. But the only interesting parts of the film happen at the beginning and the end, with everything in the middle taken up by pointless talking. And it's not even good talking like fun stories or plot exposition. It's just a bunch of forgettable chatter that you won't even remember by the time the movie is over. It does have James Earl Jones in it, but even he can't help liven things up. Though you do get the pleasure of hearing him recite parts of Othello.... not that that has anything to do with the plot either.
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:07 am

XXX: Return of Xander Cage

Watching a few recent Vin Diesel movies has really made me curious to go back and explore the filmography of Steven Seagal to potentially compare and contrast their self-indulgent garbage output. If you want to watch Vin Diesel stand around and smugly deliver dad jokes and have people praise his soft-looking body for a couple of hours this is your movie. If you're going to play this kind of character at least put in the work to look good.

I was surprised and slightly disappointed to see Donnie Yen and Tony Jaa in this film. Of course they were excellent, but I kind of want better for them...

I enjoy and can appreciate dumb movies. In many ways I prefer them. I'm not sure it's worth watching another Vin Diesel movie, though.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:43 pm

Note wrote:Watched Spider-Man: No Way Home over the weekend. Thought it was a pretty fun watch. Enjoyed all the cameos, funny moments, and some good action sequences.

The Tom Holland Spider-Man movies have been my favorite of the various reboots over the years.

I actually think Holland has been the worst Spider-Man, but No Way Home is a really well put together movie that actually got me to like him. I think No Way Home is FAR better than the previous two movies he's in and is the only Tom Holland Spider-Man movie that anyone will talk about years from now. It thoroughly leaves the previous two entries in the dust. It's like they actually tried with this one

I just recently watched The Adam Project

I checked this out based on a positive review from a certain youtuber. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, as I hated Free Guy despite many people giving that movie glowing reviewers. This movie is from the same director and once again has Ryan Reynolds in a starring role. Ryan Reynolds can be a bit annoying, as he's essentially the same character in all of his movies. The quirky guy who can't stop talking and making jokes. He's almost like the modern Jim Carrey. He's an actor you either love or hate. I think this movie is a good vehicle for him and he actually shows a little more range as a character and as an actor in this movie. He has to actually show emotion in this movie instead of just being a constant joke/one liner machine. I was impressed also that they managed to find a child actor who does a very good job of basically being a young Ryan Reynolds

The movie has a lot of heart, some well done action scenes, and is ultimately just a fun, feel good, movie. It's a time travel movie (which is why we have a young and old Ryan Reynolds), and has some of the usual problems that time travel movies have, like the mechanics of time travel and its consequences not actually making anything even close to resembling sense, but the movie is fun enough that you just stop thinking about it and enjoy the ride. Hell, even the characters eventually seem to just stop caring about what the potential ramifications of messing around with time travel are since none of them seem to actually know.

So yeah, enjoyed this one, hated Free Guy. I don't know how to feel about Shawn Levy as a director now
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:06 am

⬆︎ I thought this was the poster of a new Star Wars movie :lol: :lol:

----------------------
House of Sand and Fog

I will give it to Ben Kingsley. He did an amazing job portraying the character, I actually thought he is Persian or at least of Persian descent . Turns out he is British from Indian descent so kudos for his Oscar worthy (imo) performance! This is one of the very rare movies that had realistic drama+thriller scenario, you can actually believe this can happen in real life and not exaggerated to keep audience watching.

Unfortunately due to the story events I do not believe it was popular between theater-going crowd which is why we can't have nice things.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever