Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by RCBH928 Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:37 pm

Sneakers 1992. I am disappoint.
There is nothing that makes up for its 7/10 rating on IMDB. Very very very average. Doesn't feel its cult classic and the plot has been overused to death its cliche by now.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:22 pm

Rurouni Kenshin - The Final

I didn't know another Kenshin film had been made, until Anapan mentioned it in another thread. It recently dropped on Netflix, and apparently another one comes out at the end of this month. I guess Netflix is proud about this, as when the movie starts you see the word Netflix come onscreen with the X stylized to look like the one on Kenshin's cheek. It's a neat little touch

So anyway, I don't believe anime and manga are known for having lots of well done live action adaptations. I guess there's Alita: Battle Angel. I don't know much about the source material, but I thought that movie was good. Nothing else really comes to mind though. The Kenshin series though, has made the transition quite well. As a fan of the anime and manga, I enjoyed the last three movies. I feel the same way about this one.

Interestingly, this movie covers the Jinchu arc, which I don't believe was ever properly adapted in the anime. Now, being that this is simply a movie, don't expect it to fully do justice to the entire manga arc, but it hits the major points of the story and like the previous three movies has some great action mixed with good music, casting, and performances. One thing I like about these movies is that in addition to the kick ass action they do a good job of capturing the emotional beats of the source material. It's nice to see this arc done outside of the manga since the anime wasn't able to. The next movie will be a prequel that basically covers Kenshin's back story, basically sounds like a live action version of Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal. I feel like that movie should have preceded this one given that its events influence this movie but whatever. Maybe this is how they did it in the manga too, it's been so long since I read it that I'm not sure.

Kenshin fans will probably dig this, if nothing else you can watch it if you just want some awesome, samurai action. If you're someone who knows NOTHING about the Rurouni Kenshin anime or manga, you should watch the other three movies first.

In addition to the existence of this movie, I only just recently learned of The Hokkaido Arc in the manga. I will need to check that out too

As I finished watching this, I saw that Netflix also has a Dynasty Warriors live action movie. It's crazy seeing some of the things getting movie adaptations these days. I don't know what to expect from a Dynasty Warriors movie, but the trailer seemed to have the same crazy, over the top action as the video games. Whether that's good or bad I guess I won't know until I watch it.
Ack

by Ack Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:08 am

Dynasty Warriors was a primarily Chinese film production from HMV Digital China after a producer secured the film rights from Koei around 2013 or so.

Now if you want another over-the-top live action film based on an anime, I recommend Blade of the Immortal.
Ninjamaster
16-bit

by Ninjamaster Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:05 am

Re-watched Suspiria and Phenomena, I'm a fan of Dario Argento! :)
My collection Updated 2021: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31763
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:07 am

Glad to hear it!
Ninjamaster
16-bit

by Ninjamaster Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:11 am

REPO Man wrote:Glad to hear it!

You're a fan of horror movies too ?
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:14 am

You know it! You said you liked Dario Argento. See any of his other films? Also, any other Italian horror films you like? I personally enjoyed Demons, Zombi 2 and City of the Living Dead.
Ninjamaster
16-bit

by Ninjamaster Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:35 am

REPO Man wrote:You know it! You said you liked Dario Argento. See any of his other films? Also, any other Italian horror films you like? I personally enjoyed Demons, Zombi 2 and City of the Living Dead.

I collect horror movies (Blu Ray/Dvd) and watched a lot during past years :)

My fav films of Dario Argento are: Deep Red-Suspiria-Inferno-Phenomena (all with a mix of supernatural)

I don't like very much the "animal trilogy" and "Door into Darkness" an Italian television series presented by him.

Talking about italian Master I like also Lucio Fulci (The Beyond,Zombi 2,Aenigma) and Pupi Avati (The House with Laughing Windows)
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:01 am

You’re in good company here! We do a “month of horror” in October with some of watching, and writing about, dozens of horror films that month. I hope you’ll stick around and participate!
Ninjamaster
16-bit

by Ninjamaster Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:13 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:You’re in good company here! We do a “month of horror” in October with some of watching, and writing about, dozens of horror films that month. I hope you’ll stick around and participate!

Ok thanks! :)
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever