What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by Raging Justice »

I liked some of Sandler's movies even though I wouldn't call them "good". He's something of a guilty pleasure. I liked The Wedding Singer, Happy Gilmore, and Little Nicky

He's definitely a guy whose probably better as a bit player in any modern movie and not someone you would want staring in it. He feels like he's from a different generation to me, like someone who seemed really funny back during the height of his popularity, but in 2022 his type of comedy feels stupid and immature. Comedy has evolved but Sandler hasn't, if that makes any sense. I think I have a nostalgic attachment to some of his stuff though. Little Nicky is kind of an objectively bad movie honestly, but I still like it for some reason.
Ack

Post by Ack »

The greatest Adam Sandler movie is Airheads.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Raging Justice wrote:I liked some of Sandler's movies even though I wouldn't call them "good". He's something of a guilty pleasure. I liked The Wedding Singer, Happy Gilmore, and Little Nicky

He's definitely a guy whose probably better as a bit player in any modern movie and not someone you would want staring in it. He feels like he's from a different generation to me, like someone who seemed really funny back during the height of his popularity, but in 2022 his type of comedy feels stupid and immature. Comedy has evolved but Sandler hasn't, if that makes any sense. I think I have a nostalgic attachment to some of his stuff though. Little Nicky is kind of an objectively bad movie honestly, but I still like it for some reason.

Private Gems was dam good and way outside his usual work. The do over was a pretty good buddy flick with Spade.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Grown Ups was pretty hilarious and made more for modern times , although am not sure if I watched 1 or 2.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:He has had some really good dramatic roles in films like Spanglish,

Spanglish....now that is a movie I didn't hear about in a looooooong time.

Raging Justice wrote:I liked some of Sandler's movies even though I wouldn't call them "good". He's something of a guilty pleasure. I liked The Wedding Singer, Happy Gilmore, and Little Nicky

I wouldn't say its bad, its as you mentioned an outdated formula kind of like the 90s/80s sitcoms. I do not think something like Full House or Saved By the Bell will be as popular if it was released today, its not bad it was for a different time. Kind of like retro games I guess...

stickem wrote:Private Gems was dam good and way outside his usual work. The do over was a pretty good buddy flick with Spade.

You mean Uncut Gems, it was very different from his usual roles although he still had the usual character in him. Felt more like an "adult" Adam Sandler version than a different character. Movie was generally good and different.

IMO David Spade is very under utilized , he really do add to the movie and I like him. I am never like " oh no, he is in the movie?" quite the contrary.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

stickem wrote:

Uncut Gems was dam good and way outside his usual work. The do over was a pretty good buddy flick with Spade.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

The Raid. I am disappointed.

I heard so much about this movie I had high expectations . Action is your expected action movie and the story is super meh. Might as well call it Indonesian Judge Dredd.

I dont see whats special here...
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

RCBH928 wrote:The Raid. I am disappointed.

I heard so much about this movie I had high expectations . Action is your expected action movie and the story is super meh. Might as well call it Indonesian Judge Dredd.

I dont see whats special here...

Although I personally enjoyed The Raid, the sequel is MUCH better. It has much more story to it and a LOT more action. The movie also starts with a rather surprising twist.

I recommend watching it. If you end up disliking the second one too, then I guess these movies are just not for you. Honestly, I think the Raid 2 is the one that should have all the hype, not the first one
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Wheels on Meals a.k.a. Spartan X

So I just watched Wheels on Meals. This was a treat for me as a beat 'em up fan and a gamer and feels like an appropriate movie to post about on this site. The classic Kung-Fu Master was partially inspired by this movie. It was originally meant to be a video game tie-in, but the plans were scrapped. Yet the names of the protagonist and the girl he is trying to save are from the movie. Also, both Kung-Fu Master and Wheels on Meals were known as Spartan X in Japan.

So this movie gives us Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung, which is awesome. It also has Yuen Biao, who I am not too familiar with beyond a few scenes I've seen from the movie Righting Wrongs, also known as Above the Law (1986). He's awesome in those scenes, and I enjoyed him in this movie as well, though he plays a very different type of character here. He's kind of a dork here while Righting Wrongs casts him as a badass cop/vigilante type of character. He's got some awesome action scenes in Right Wrongs, so does Cynthia Rothrock. Anyway, having these three guys together in one movie is pretty awesome and there is great onscreen chemistry between them. There's almost a Three Stooges like vibe to this movie at times with the three stars bantering and bickering and Sammo Hung occasionally getting physically assaulted by his pals whenever he says or does something annoying. Plus, I was thrilled to once again see the lovely Lola Forner, who I practically fell in love with in Armour of God. She is even more stunning in this movie, and she has a much bigger role in this movie's story compared to Armour of God.

This movie is a real solid mix of genuinely good comedy (some of the dialog in particular is quite funny) and some great action. Getting to see three stars of the genre fighting in one movie is fantastic. There is one fight in the movie where Jackie even reminds me of Bruce Lee, which I believe he used to imitate early in his career before finding his own path. Yuen Biao shows some great agility, something I'm already used to seeing from Jackie, and Sammo Hung, as always, does things you might not expect for a guy with his body build. There is a rather awesome sparring fight between Jackie and Yuen right at the beginning of the movie. Also, I get to see Jackie Chan show off some skateboarding skills in this movie. There's a great sequence of him taking orders from people and delivering food from a food truck all while riding a skateboard. The more films of Jackie Chan I see (well technically, this is a Sammo Hung movie that he directed) the more convinced I am that he can do just about anything. Of the three, I think I enjoyed Sammo Hung the most in this movie. His character is the most interesting as he comes across as a dummy and gets picked on a lot, yet at times seems smarter than his buddies. Like Jackie, Sammo Hung has a certain charm that makes him lovable.

There's a fun chase scene in this, man I'm seeing a lot of chase sequences in movies with Jackie Chan in them. Lot of montages too. Anyway, there are some funny scenes involving a mental institution that cracked me up. Great use of character actors.

You know, as great of a star as Jackie is, some of these movies show just how great he is with a good ensemble cast. He plays off of others really well

This didn't blow me away as much as the last movie I saw with Jackie Chan (Armour of God 2), but I found it highly enjoyable and really just a solid movie all around. I haven't seen enough movies with Sammo or Yuen, so that increased my enjoyment of the movie, and Lola Forner just lights up the screen. Easy to recommend for fans of either of these three martial artists/actors. It's a nice introduction to each of them. I think it functions as a nice little piece of video game history as well.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Raging Justice wrote: I haven't seen enough movies with Sammo or Yuen, so that increased my enjoyment of the movie, and Lola Forner just lights up the screen.

If you have not yet read "I Am Jackie Chan: My Life in Action" you need to. It is a great read and you will understand the meaning and relationships of many of those cast in his movies, especially Sammo. "I Am Jackie Chan: My Life in Action" is in my top ten list of books because, frankly it was the first biography I was not forced to read, and it caught me off guard with the content. I highly recommend anyone to check it out.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Hot take: Actions films tend to suck because they try to take themselves seriously by incorporating a plot. I don't wanna start anything with you RCBH928, but I just remember you saying that dialogue felt like filler for you, and that is exactly how dialogue is in action films for me. I don't really understand why people would need a motivation or a relatable character for someone that just blows stuff up because a) usually that "motivation" is just not doing any character development at all, and doing a very cheap and half-assed attempt of doing one by throwing in a simple stake, or making it a revenge tale so you feel bad for them, and b) that implies that you watch films for their morality, and I find it weird because the actions they do tend to be morally questionable. I don't care about morals for films, and hate it when people only use that as an analysis, but people plot-focused focus on that, and they usually never question why a moral character would do immoral things which make make a cool analysis.

Because of those reasons, and the MOST character development that happens in them later on is throwing in a love interest, that once again, also just a simple attempt to increase the stakes, the dialogue scenes are a total buzzkill. They kill the pacing, and it doesn't even make a nice contrast between the action-heavy scenes.

Films like The Raid are better because they know what they excel. Screw the story, it's gonna suck anyways. Just throw in a bunch of cool action scenes with some tension sprinkled in there.