Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by PretentiousHipster Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:44 pm

Bloodstone: Subspecies II was so incredibly fascinating. The film itself wasn't confusing plot-wise, but my reaction to it was. It is somehow both so bad it's good and legit good at the same time. The overall tone, cinematography, and atmosphere are top notch. Fantastic use of vampiric lore as well. However, the acting is atrocious for the most part. Still, the lead villain made the film. He is so incredibly overdramatic and pathetic that I felt joy every time he showed up on screen. I guess it was like Jean Rollin without the erotica.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:36 am

My friend and I just got home from a Video Game Convention. He was doing some chores around the house. He actually has Cable, so I decided to watch TCM for the first in since I moved into my house. Well, this was on and like good ole TCM, I got sucked into watching it.

Anything with Humphrey Bogart in it will always be good. Since it was his last film, my friend and I watched him intently and really began to notice how the Cancer had changed him. Jan Sterling played his wife in the film and she was just lovely. Mike Lane played the giant boxer and I was rather moved by his performance, especially at the end.

It's funny to watch a film made in 1956 about the corruption in boxing and it still can be relevant today. These classic movies can really be timeless.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:40 pm

Write-ups from the last two weeks:

Savage Weekend

A group of adults head off to the wilderness for some relaxation, but instead they just end up getting stalked by a creeper in a plastic mask. Oh, and they get naked a lot. Like, a lot, a lot.

Ah, another cheep-y horror slasher that was made before the popularity of Halloween. But really the only real difference between the films is the location and the older age-group of the victims (which was a nice change of pace, btw). Yet it is miraculously still filled with cliches and still focused on watching a handful of obnoxious people engaging in a lot of hanky-panky and then getting chased and stabbed. It's just all the talk of homework has been replaced with talk of 401k's. Still, I liked it. I just wish that the print quality had been better.

Oh, and that they'd cut back 99% on the banjo music. That would have been nice.

A Haunting on Potter Street: The Potter Street Station

Is it just me, or are any other horror fans with an Amazon account constantly bombarded with ads for these movies? Cause it certainly feels like I'm being bombarded by these damn things. So they finally wore me down and I watched one of them.

I almost wish I hadn't.

I don't really care about paranormal investigative type stuff, and this movie really isn't an exception. They seemed to be trying WAY to hard with the soundtrack and they kept showing clips of things that I either couldn't see or hear, and then repeating those same clips THREE TIMES. It was getting annoying. But I guess I shouldn't have expected so much from a guy who calls himself Prozak. If this is one of the earlier outings, I'm not sure how they managed to make 10 of these things. I guess the people of Saginaw must just really like their ghost folklore. I suppose I'll watch another one that was released later, just on the off chance to see if they improved.

At least the old building was neat to look at.
Ack

by Ack Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:21 pm

You were way nicer to Savage Weekend than I was. I found it rough and kinda tiresome with the exception of one character. Still, glad you found something to enjoy.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:16 pm

Markies wrote:My friend and I just got home from a Video Game Convention. He was doing some chores around the house. He actually has Cable, so I decided to watch TCM for the first in since I moved into my house. Well, this was on and like good ole TCM, I got sucked into watching it.

Anything with Humphrey Bogart in it will always be good. Since it was his last film, my friend and I watched him intently and really began to notice how the Cancer had changed him. Jan Sterling played his wife in the film and she was just lovely. Mike Lane played the giant boxer and I was rather moved by his performance, especially at the end.

It's funny to watch a film made in 1956 about the corruption in boxing and it still can be relevant today. These classic movies can really be timeless.

I'll have to watch this sometime, I'm a fan of Humphrey Bogart but have missed out on a lot of his movies and this is is one of them.

Unrelated, but I'm just curious -- what game convention did you attend, Markies and how was it? Was it Mo Game Con?
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:56 pm

ImageImage

Had myself a double feature.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:11 pm

Finally got around to watching Fantastic Planet (1973). Great film. I would say this is due for a remake since the animation is quite outdated and low budget, but I fear that current trends would butcher it instead of improving it. Worth a watch if you know French or can find a version with subtitles, like this one. I would love some recommendations of similar films, animated or otherwise.

PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:32 pm

The director's 2 other films are more straightforward, I'd even argue that Time Masters is for kids, but I actually prefer them over Fantastic Planet.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:48 am

PretentiousHipster wrote:The director's 2 other films are more straightforward, I'd even argue that Time Masters is for kids, but I actually prefer them over Fantastic Planet.

I watched Gandahar last night (French with subtitles, if that makes a difference), and you're right about it being "straightforward." I enjoyed it enough, but of the two I most certainly prefer Planete Sauvage. It's a trip in a way that Gandahar can't be. Without the sex and nudity, Gandahar could easily have fit in with the 80s children cartoon aesthetic, while Planete Sauvage is more surreal and psychedelic and in line with other cartoons of the 60s. Of course, that makes sense given that the former was made in 1987 and the latter was made in 1973.
Ack

by Ack Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:57 pm

I watched this lovable piece of stinky cheese recently, in which Jean-Claude Van Damme is a former clothing counterfeiter turned legit jean executive in Hong Kong alongside his business partner, Rob Schneider, who is secretly a CIA agent.

Knock Off truly is a joy of joys.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever