Akira Toriyama has passed away

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Note
Next-Gen

Re: Akira Toriyama has passed away

Post by Note »

Ah damn, sad news indeed. Loved his character designs, especially when I was first getting into anime. I used to enjoy trying to draw his characters and create my own in a similar style.

His style and influence will definitely will be missed.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Not a fan of his visual style or his storytelling, but his influence was broad, in the manga and the games universe. He was a powerhouse and it's a shame he's gone.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

marurun wrote:Not a fan of his visual style

I always felt like Dragonball (particularly DBZ and DBS) is where he style really shined. His work in video games never grabbed me much, but his Dragonball Z/Super characters are awesome and are primarily what I will remember him for.

Story telling in Dragonball I'd argue is never the main draw. It's the action and the visuals, which is very fitting for something based off a manga for boys
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

I think I said before, but I think Dragon Ball is better as a manga than an anime. The pacing is much better. I read through all of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z about ten years ago and loved all of it. I have actually been wanting to read through it again with my son, though I'd probably skip a couple of pages around Master Roshi's early days...
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii