Beer!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Beer!

Post by Ziggy »

Over the last week or two, I got a craving for Guiness. Which is weird, because I never particularly cared for Guiness before. So I finally picked up a six pack yesterday, and found it easy to drink three of them! I don't know why, but all of a sudden I really like them.

If I'm going to kick back and relax with a beer, I like to use a glass mug. I mean, I've enjoyed plenty of beers from a can or glass bottle, but there's just something about a mug. It makes it easier to drink. Or at least, I always end up drinking a beer faster out of a mug. And without realizing it, it's just gone all of a sudden. In the summer, I definitely enjoy an ice cold beer. I keep a few mugs in the freezer, and those are nice to enjoy a frosty beer outside when it's hot. But in the winter, a frozen mug is the last thing that I want. In fact, I'm not even crazy about the idea of a beer at fridge temp. Not that I enjoy room temp beer. But I have this one walk-in closet that's sorta like a pantry. It isn't heated or cooled, so it's pretty chilly in there during the winter. I decided to keep my six pack of Guiness in there instead of the fridge. So they're chilled, but not extremely cold.

Anyway, long story short, I've been enjoying a slightly chilled Guiness from a mug! :lol:

How do you enjoy beer?
opa
128-bit

Re: Beer!

Post by opa »

I have a couple of Legend of Zelda pint glasses I like to use.

If it's a generic beer, I'll just stick with the can. Not really worth getting a glass dirty.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

While I have a few different vessels (frosted mugs, hefe glasses, tulips, etc), in all honesty I'm just drinking out of a bottle these days, unless I'm entertaining company.

If you like Guinness, you should eventually branch out to some other stouts. My go-to for quality is Founders Breakfast Stout. So delicious, and so long as I don't overdo it, I never really tire of it. I'd be curious to hear what else you'll try.

Can't say I prefer slightly chilled beer at the beginning, considering it can warm up too much if you sip it!
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

I don't drink much beer but I have a nice set of pint glasses that I love. They're an artist's take on the original 1980 Burger King Empire Strikes Back glasses that every house seemed to have in the early 80s. It's nice because now I can enjoy a beverage and acknowledge a classic film without getting lead poisoning.

When I do have a beer, I usually go for a good hefeweizen or pilsner. I grimly drank ales when I was younger before realizing I just didn't like them.

marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I love a good hefe, but a hefe is an ale. But I get what you’re saying. I don’t like IPAs or any of that hoppy nonsense that all ends up tasting like dry pine needles. I also dig high gravity stuff, because I can drink one beer and really feel it. And they usually taste pretty good, too, as long as they don’t lean into cough medicine territory.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

I'm a beer fan as well! It's definitely my go to if I feel up to having a drink on a Friday or Saturday. Nowadays, I'll mostly keep Modelos or Heinekens in the fridge at home, but I do like checking out craft beers and breweries from time to time. At home, I usually just drink them straight from the bottle. The only exception would be if I have company and we're splitting a can of craft beer.

If I'm going the craft route, I think my favorite style is a sour. I enjoy the tart taste and there's a range from higher to low percentage. I also mostly like low percentage beers (maybe around 4% to 5.5%), because I tend to want to drink more than just one, so that keeps me in check. Lol.

Also, when I'm traveling, I enjoy checking out some of the popular but different beers made and served in the area. Always cool to try what's available in a new place, and what the packaging is like.

A Guinness sounds good though, Ziggy. I haven't had one in a while, but used to drink them from time to time. Gotta love a good stout in the winter!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I actually stopped drinking beer (often) for most of 2023. I need to get my weight under control (by losing some) and beer wasn't helping. I probably drink beer most often during the summer. There's something awesome about coming home from a day of work and having a nice cold beer outside in the summer. Or sitting outside on a nice summer night and drinking a few beers. But last year I felt like if I had like 1 beer for a few days in a row that my stomach instantly got noticeably bigger. So I laid off of the beers, with the exception of a BBQ party or something. So the Guiness is the first time I've had beer in a while. That might have something to do with my enjoyment of it.

Founders Breakfast Stout sounds interesting. So I can have it for breakfast? That's great! :lol: But in all seriousness, I'll have to remember that one and check for it the next time I'm in a beer distributor. I'll try and do that before the end of winter, because come spring and definitely summer I like a lighter beer.

Speaking of lighter beers, Yeungling made a beer called Flight which has 96 calories and 2.6 carbs. But it doesn't taste too different from regular old Yeungling. It's not watery and doesn't have that mild light beer taste. Like Michelob Ultra, I don't know how people drink those. Anyway, Flight is wonderful in that it's a good tasting light beer. But I can't find them anywhere! So I kinda gave up looking.

One mistake I had was finding Yeunling in a Costo-type store. IIRC, I got an 18 pack for $22, which is a really cheap price per beer! Knowing that the beer was so cheap, and having so many on hand, made it really easy to consume them at a faster rate. Even worse, in recent years I decided I like Budweiser. And since that beer seems appropriate to drink from a can (rather than a long neck) I was also able to find them cheap in the Costo-type store. I forget how much the case of 24 cans was, but it was around a dollar per beer. So I'd come home and have my mini fridge stocked with 18 Yeungling and 24 Budweisers, it just seemed like a never ending supply so it made it too easy to drink them faster than I normally would.

The thing with the "slightly chilled" beer is that it's still in the low to mid 40's, so it's not that far off from the high 30's that I would normally keep my beer at. And there's two things that help. One, I don't keep my place too warm. And two, I drink it fast enough that it doesn't have time to really warm up. I really don't like warm beer, but I just don't care to have the just above freezing temp beer in the winter. Summer is a different story, however. I want my beer to almost be forming ice crystals.

Anyone ever think about brewing their own beer? It seems like such an awesome hobby. I came close to home brewing. I was making sure to only drink dark bottled beer with crimp on caps, and I was saving all of the bottles. I was also researching and slowly buying this and that in preparation to make my first brew. But same old story with time and money. I decided I need another hobby like I need another hole in the head. So I got rid of most of the beer making stuff that I acquired. Although it still seems like it would be a really fun hobby. Maybe one day.

I have a friend that works for a local brewery. Last year he won a company competition for an original recipe. So apparently they make and sell his beer recipe now.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

marurun wrote:I love a good hefe, but a hefe is an ale. But I get what you’re saying. I don’t like IPAs or any of that hoppy nonsense that all ends up tasting like dry pine needles. I also dig high gravity stuff, because I can drink one beer and really feel it. And they usually taste pretty good, too, as long as they don’t lean into cough medicine territory.

Ha! I guess I do like ales. It must be IPAs that I forced myself to drink. They seemed to be really popular in the 2000s and I think my dislike of their flavor somehow reinforced the idea that this was something I should drink lol
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The main difference between ann ale and a lager is the brewing method. But then Texas enacted laws governing what you can call a beer based arbitrarily on alcohol content, and so if you’re in Texas you probably never have the right info on your can or bottle.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So I picked up Founders Breakfast Stout. WOW!

I'm not use to drinking this kind of beer. It was about $18 for a 4-pack. Which is a lot more than the $13 or so I paid for the 6-pack of Guiness. But I have to remember that this is a much more flavorful beer, and it's also 8.3% alcohol. It's not meant to be gulped down like a cheap beer. It's meant to be savored. So in essence, I'd have to think of it as an 8-pack. Meaning I could consider it as the same price per beer, if I take twice as long to drink it. Which I would think you would want to take twice as long to drink it, being that it packs more punch in the taste department.

That said, I'm just nearly finished with my first one and I think I like it. I'll wait until I finish the 4-pack before I form an opinion. But it definitely wasn't bad. But so far, my thoughts are that I don't think it would become a go-to beer for me but I could see myself getting it again.