What’s your job? Are you happy? What’s next?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: What’s your job? Are you happy? What’s next?

Post by Ack »

Ah, Anapan's union is a hiring hall. Lucky duck. I'm in a right-to-work state, which means my union can't operate that way.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Awesome to learn about everyone's work and personal life, and get an idea of what others are up to outside of gaming.

As for me, I work in graphic design and production management, currently for a non-profit biomedical research organization. My focus has been on the production management side since 2020. My role shifted, and I began to take on more responsibilities specifically within the academic journals my organization publishes. It mostly consists of reviewing and formatting scientific figures, reviewing typeset proofs of articles, coordinating with authors on any issues with files and changes, coordinating with the editors, and tracking where articles are in the production process. Also, I handle the administrative side of it, consisting of working with our accounting department to process invoices for the editorial committee. The journals are published quarterly, so it gets a bit hectic around those months. I'd say this part of my job I'm happy with and while it sounds mundane, the work is straight forward and my colleagues in this area are easy to deal with. I'm thankful for my previous supervisor for roping me into this work and training me on this additional skillset.

Regarding the other portion of my work, which consists of supporting colleagues with graphic design needs, which was the majority of my career from 2008 up until 2020, I'm kind of mixed on it nowadays. I enjoy doing this type of work on my own time, but at my organization, I feel like a lot of the work isn't appreciated, and it's just tough to keep branding and other visual elements consistent when colleagues don't want to follow brand guidelines or they hire outside designers for certain projects and don't consult with our team about it.

Overall, I'm happy with my role. I miss my previous supervisor, as she was a great mentor to me and retired last year, but I'm looking forward to continuing the journal work, and I hope eventually, I'll just be working in that area. Also, I'd prefer if my company went fully remote, as I'm not big on the commute or office politics. I'd like to get a master's degree eventually, but other than that I don't have any specific plans!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm a substitute teacher at the local elementary school. I typically work three days a week.
marurun

Post by marurun »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I'm a substitute teacher at the local elementary school. I typically work three days a week.

Do you teach them to hunt moose and build their sub-arctic survival bunkers for when The Big One sweeps through?

(I kid. I love Maine.)
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I'm a substitute teacher at the local elementary school. I typically work three days a week.

I hope you teach them about Ys Book I & II!
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Well I got a finalized job offer yesterday and I'm waiting for 2 others to see if they send an offer. Looks like I'll be making more than before! Guess it was a blessing in disguise.

Potentially moving to Austin if I don't get my #1 choice of the 3, too, as it's based there.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Congrats on the job offer, Megas! That's awesome you'll be making more too.

Hope that situation works out for you!
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Thanks, Note. I'm probably going to have to find a way to make some money on the side for a few months- even like $100-200. Anyone have some ideas?
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

Sell us some of your games for cheap! Otherwise maybe some sweet clothing swag? I know you’ve been holding out on us.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

TLDR: Job offer, also don't ban me.

I'm probably autistic, and can get tunnel-vision when it comes to seemingly-unimportant goals, but I have a back-log that's huge of the worst of the tasks. They are time consuming and mindless to the point that me, unemployed now, can't bring myself to start them. I seek out other things to help other people before I think about wanting to get these tasks done. Despite that, I'd pay to have some things done. Depends on your abilities, and how much time you have.

I hired Partridge Semapi to do a translation. Great Success!

I need some problematic video files/physical media properly converted to files. Every PC can do it - 90's tech, but I got turned down on Fiver twice. That means it is a bigger bounty than the Fiver guys advertised. I would teach you how to do it before I did the shitwork myself.

I want a perfect copy of the entire "In Living Color" digitally, and have the discs physically. Every episode is an amalgam of interlacing problems and the entire series needs to be set up carefully to extract the video without the interlacing corrupting the final. After that, every episode needs to be manually renamed with the sketch names.

Heh, it's the digital equivalent of shoveling chicken crap, or being in a slaughter-house and doing "Bung Removal".

I have some smaller tasks. I don't have a lot of spare money, but I do feel a great need to have these tasks done.
I am bad at interacting, and tend to only respond when prompted, I realize I just made a job offer publicly in an inappropriate forum spot and also brought up anus-drilling. I apologize for both. These things belong in a PM, and there's no point in any retrogaming for I could've justified it. Despite those indiscretions, I'll pad it with good questions to members so I don't get banned:

@Chupon: You do what Calvin's dad did! I totally respect the detail your trade takes into account. I had some great experiences seeing what Autodesk could do in the 90's; but I have no idea what you use for software now. Are you using the same (Blender) with a lot of enhancements? Is it taboo to use that because, like me the detail view and cad are a side-thought and modeling is painful? Is Autodesk even still relevant? I needed to use AutoCAD last year to make a specific file forr a friend, and I enjoyed how familiar it felt over 10 years later.

@PretentiousHipster:
You do you well. I would like to hang out with you IRL, because your online interaction is so impersonal that I'm sure I never fully understand what I read from your posts.
I'll show up on the Racketboy Discord live chat with a camera, at a set date and time you choose. It's sure to be entertaining no matter how it goes down.

@Markies: You did well. Glad nothing stopped you from being comfortable. I was never put in a really bad situation without my pre-knowledge that it might be, but I've had some unfortunately uncomfortable, and often bug-infested times because I took jobs that weren't safe/good. If you do things well, you will not find yourself in a shit-show. I naively assumed my employers wouldn't put me in an illegally unsafe situation. I've been in several because I wasn't fully in control.

@Ziggy: Well, your shiny metal ass has always been able to explain everything.

@Limewater: That's sweet! I always wanted to be better at the low-level IC part of electronics, but never invested the time to do more than flashing chips. Think you could help with my DoomNES project? I'm failing to get anything but the audio booting.

@RobertAugustdeMeijer: Had no idea, but damn, you got a great think going - the opposite of "forever alone" meme. Didn't even know that was a thing now. Kudos!

@marurun: You've shown that your abilities are far beyond your stated librarian employment, but I'm glad you're doing well in your position. I chose not to try to climb the ladder in my trade because I saw how miserable my superiors were for a slight increase in pay.

@SamuraiMegas: You mentioned it before, but that's admirable they you are directly - socially interacting with clients and customers as a profession. I envy your ability to be so sociable that you make money at it. And also, unlike the two people I know IRL, you're good at it, and your business haven't gone under!

@REPO Man: I think your ability to string words together is pretty good. It's hard to make it as a writer, but as they go, you are good at writing. Everyone except the people who were born into it have to start at the bottom. It is very hard to make it out. The main thing is to never stop pursuing that you want to do.

@PartridgeSenpai: You up for a slightly more involved translation later this year?

@Reprise: Super-specialized... I have no idea what you said. Totally out of my field of knowledge. Still don't know what you do beyond entering data in a database, and I'm not sure that's correct. Do you directly observe young adults and evaluate them? Do you directly analyse the data? What data? Are you present in the mental-health facilities? Are you now both the worker, and supervisor in your unit?
One time my brother's foreman, and then superintendent quit, and he just kept working without any supervision for a few weeks. When a new supervisor showed up and tried to tell him what to do, he said "You aren't my boss, You have no idea what I do. That's why I have the keys to the truck, and you waked here. My job is more important than yours. You can't tell me what to do". My bro was right. It was entertaining to watch.

@alienjesus: Crazy how quickly things can change in the digital world. Don't have much I can say, but glad you're okay.

@Ack: What's a Right-to-work state? I heard some storied from my brothers working out there. It was a different world back in the 90's at least.

@Note In graphic design professionally, how do you deal with a client demanding low-resolution Jpeg data being entered into the final product? Do you denoise, then AI upscale it before vectorising, or just recreate it?

@BoneSnapDeez: Livin the dream - Gamer!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage