The Health and Wellness Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: The Health and Wellness Thread

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Limewater wrote:But again, I am more focused on joints and connective tissue during a warm-up. They much stronger and more supple once warmed-up, and that's where the injuries happen.

As someone currently living with an irritated hip tendon, I hear this…Stretching feels good for a few minutes, but it actually exacerbates the injury. I’ll get over it in a few more weeks, I think, and I’m rethinking how I exercise. Specifically, I’m thinking more gentle warm ups, with stretching after the most intensive parts of my work outs. (I think some deep gluteal stretches are what caused me to injure it so badly.) Also, no more running on short tracks, no more running on canted roads; and isometric hop exercises at least twice a week.

Since this is the wellness thread, I’ll share my approach to dieting for what it’s worth. First, I cook most of my meals; so, I know what goes into them. They aren’t always healthy meals, but they don’t have nearly as much fat, salt, and sugar as pre-processed or restaurant food. When I want to lose a few pounds, I look at my diet and cut one thing. So, for example, I cut out a few drinks a week last year, replacing a beer or glass of wine with a low calorie mocktail. Now, rather than having an alcoholic beverage 4-5 time per week, I have one 2-3 times per week (or not at all!) That resulted in about five pounds of weight loss. I’m cutting that back further this year, and I’m also cutting out sugar in my coffee and desserts. (I don’t like desserts much anyway.) These aren’t huge changes to my diet, but they are sustainable changes that make my diet just a little bit healthier. I suspect they’ll also result in some more sustainable weight loss.

Different things work for different people, and while there are wrong ways to improve your health and wellness, there’s no “right” way to do it. I hope that these tips help some of you out though!