The Health and Wellness Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: The Health and Wellness Thread

Post by Ack »

You need to stretch. Heck, it helps for general wellness anyway, but especially if you're doing new amounts of exercise. Even if you just bend down and touch your toes, you should stretch!
Flake

Post by Flake »

REPO Man wrote:ALMOST everything. And I literally just started five days ago.

Started what? Existing on this planet? Who gets to their 20s or 30s or however old you are without realizing exercise has to be introduced gradually? Have you even googled 'how to start exercising safely' or something else?
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Flake wrote:
REPO Man wrote:ALMOST everything. And I literally just started five days ago.

Started what? Existing on this planet? Who gets to their 20s or 30s or however old you are without realizing exercise has to be introduced gradually? Have you even googled 'how to start exercising safely' or something else?

What's the Las Vegas over/under on "Does Repo know the stove is hot?"
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Flake

Post by Flake »

MrPopo wrote:What's the Las Vegas over/under on "Does Repo know the stove is hot?"

Are you looking to bet for or against? I can already see the resulting post on this board: My family member turned the stove on and I put my hand on it and now I cannot afford to move to NYC.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Jokes on you since like most neurodivergents certain stimuli hits different, so I'd be well aware the stove is hot before I get close enough to touch it regardless if I can't tell just by looking.
Flake

Post by Flake »

REPO Man wrote:Jokes on you since like most neurodivergents certain stimuli hits different, so I'd be well aware the stove is hot before I get close enough to touch it regardless if I can't tell just by looking.

Considering you refuse to take measures to help yourself or avoid other completely foreseeable outcomes, you'll forgive us for not believing you.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

I think y'all are overstating the dangers or down-sides of "overdoing it" on exercise when you're completely detrained.

Your body naturally has some pretty good measures to keep you from pushing yourself too hard. You'll get nauseated and feel like you need to lie down before you puke. Not pushing yourself hard enough is extremely common. Pushing yourself too hard is pretty rare.

Completely detrained people go outside to shovel snow and end up having heart attacks, but the physical labor just exacerbates a significant underlying condition.

The real danger is, as I said before, injury due to poor form. You can get overuse injuries with good form, but they're relatively rare.

A good warm-up is important, though not such a big deal for 15lb bicep curls. I'd save static stretching for after the workout, with more dynamic movements before lifting. You'll stretch better after you're warmed up, and static stretching decreases strength performance, though it won't matter too much if you're a beginner.

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Ack

Post by Ack »

Do you believe in slapping your muscles before a work out or even when just waking up in the morning?
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Ack wrote:Do you believe in slapping your muscles before a work out or even when just waking up in the morning?

If you're asking me, I've never heard of this. I would not think that it would be very effective to warm up or stimulate blood flow because I would not expect it to provide any stimulation except for very superficially.

But again, I am more focused on joints and connective tissue during a warm-up. They much stronger and more supple once warmed-up, and that's where the injuries happen.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Being over 40, I now need to wake up earlier than normal, and stretch. This is both to maintain my flexibility, and prevent minor injuries to my muscles that previously didn't happen, or healed so fast that I don't remember.
When I was younger, I'd just do my job, and the scope of the job meant I'd be using my whole body to it's limits to get the different tasks done adequately.
I just woke up (sometimes hung over) and could jump right in to pound a large sledge hammer for hours, or run an angle-grinder overhead for most of a shift. Those things are increasingly hard to do for long periods of time.
Before I had a carpal tunnel operation, I'd wake up and bang my hand against the wall to get feeling back in it so I could operate power tools safely.
I'd suggest that spending a few minutes stretching and forcing your tendons to their limits is a good practice even without exerting your muscles. Having torn muscles and ligaments before, I always wondered if doing some stretches could've prevented some unpleasant injuries. Popular opinion suggests that I was complacent and would not have had the down-time had I done some basic stretches every day before exerting my muscles and tendons over their limits.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage