2024 New Years Resolutions

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
MrPopo

Re: 2024 New Years Resolutions

Post by MrPopo »

My New Year's resolution is to not allow Repo to try and steer conversations away from us pointing out all the errors he's making in his posts.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

It's funny how this site can seem completely dead and you'd swear not a soul was on it, and then Repo stirs some shit up and we've got 3 pages of posts. And so, while no nutritionist would recommend it, I raise an impossibly large cup of Baja Blast to you, Repo. Happy New Year, you crazy bastard! :lol:
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Golgo 14 wrote:It's funny how this site can seem completely dead and you'd swear not a soul was on it, and then Repo stirs some shit up and we've got 3 pages of posts. And so, while no nutritionist would recommend it, I raise an impossibly large cup of Baja Blast to you, Repo. Happy New Year, you crazy bastard! :lol:

He's half the reason i check in lol. He should have his own TLC series.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I'm not crazy. I'm weird. Crazy's in the head, while weird is in the heart.

But seriously, this thread's gone WAY off topic. That's why I created a health and wellness thread over here.

And back to the original topic, can NO ONE think of at least ONE resolution they can try for this year?
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

REPO Man wrote:And back to the original topic, can NO ONE think of at least ONE resolution they can try for this year?

Nobody wants your new thread when you stirred up all the action here.

Instead, you should start a second, new New Year's Resolution thread for nobody to post in.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

REPO Man wrote:I'm not crazy. I'm weird. Crazy's in the head, while weird is in the heart.

All right, you weird bastard, I'll play along. I'd like to get a consistent sleep schedule going. It's hard because I've always been a night person. It's difficult for me to get to sleep at night and then once I'm asleep it is hard as hell for me to wake up. I've actually been diagnosed with a circadian rhythm disorder, for whatever that's worth. Anyway, it puts me at odds with how most of the rest of the world functions which is kind of a pain. And if I have an appointment or my mom needs to go somewhere, it throws me off-balance and disrupts my schedule. If I can get a regular sleep schedule going, even if it's 4am to noon, it'd be a big improvement.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

For what it's worth, I also have issues falling asleep. If I don't take a couple of Advil PM, I could end up going to be at 2-3am if I'm lucky. The inverse is that I end up groggy AF the next day. And if I fall sleep at an ungodly hour, I end up groggy AF anyway.

What's your alarm? Mine's "Let the River Run" by Carly Simon, and I let it play out as I get out of bed, turn on the lights, go to the restroom to take a leak, wash my hands, grab a Reign from the fridge and get to the couch. But you might want something with more "energy", like "Push it to the Limit" from Scarface.

For me, I try to go to bad no later than midnight, since I usually have to get up at 6am and I try for at least 6 hours since my work schedule makes it hard to get a full eight.

I also wear an eye mask. As you all might know I used to work a third-shift job (grocery stocker) and had a second job right after, so I'd be sleeping between 1 and 9pm. It also works if you've got lights in your room you can't turn off (i.e. surge protectors, my electric blanket's remote).

But that's me and my advice has no guarantee to work for others.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

MrPopo wrote:
REPO Man wrote:Well, if not keto then what? Paleo? Atkins? Please don't say veganism. Most vegan options are way beyond my budget.

The "eat less food" diet. Take in less calories than you currently do.

I hope I am not perpetuating an argument (I got bored reading and stopped here, sorry), but reading this thread straight away made me think that my resolution is to continue to maintain a healthy diet and not put any weight back on. And yeah, *this* right here is what I was thinking reading the discussions on diets and it is also what worked for me.

For the last 10 years or so, I had been steadily adding on the pounds. This had resulted in my stomach in particular becoming fairly large and unattractive.

Last year I was holding my baby daughter and I looked in the mirror and I saw my fat belly staring back at me and I didn't like what was staring back at me. But even moreso, I realised I want to remain fit and healthy for my children and want to be here for a long time for them.

So one day, I decided I wanted to lose weight. I didn't know how to do it, what I was going to do, I asked advice on another forum and people basically said the same thing, that it isn't rocket science, you don't even necessarily need to start working out and doing a ton of exercise, so I thought ok, I will do this. Someone pointed out how so many snacks and treats are FULL of calories and so I looked and I realised how crazy it is. They were right. Chocolates, sweets, crisps and biscuits were potentially adding hundreds of calories to my diet.

I lost around 13kg in weight. I did it by simply reducing the amount I eat and filling up more on fruit and vegetables. For breakfast, I eat fruit. For lunch, I eat bread, tomatoes, cucumber, salad, sometimes a small number of crisps, sometimes cheese and then fruit. For dinner, I reduced my portions. If I have something that can contain a lot of calories, like pizza, I will save some for another day. I enjoy cooking and make a lot of my own meals anyways, so I can make sure they're healthy and nutritional and I can easily control my portion sizes.

I still have unhealthy treats, but I try to not over indulge in them and try to not eat them every day. If I feel I need to snack, I usually have raspberries, blueberries, grapes or a satsuma.

I noticed the difference pretty quickly. I started around May or June I think and could see and feel the difference after a few weeks.

Christmas has been tough. That's my first real challenge, with so many unhealthy foods and being surrounded by chocolate, cakes and tons of food. So I reckon I might have put on a bit of weight again. So my resolution is to get back into a healthier diet again and transition away from the Christmas cakes, chocolate biscuits and so on.

Anyways, it sounds cliched, and it is tough, but my advice if anyone wants to lose weight or just feel a bit healthier, is to just do it. Start by looking at the calories on the back of packets, identify the unhealthy foods and reduce them. Try to eat more fruits and vegetables when you need quick snacks or lunch/meals. And reduce your portion sizes for dinner if you are the kind of person who has large meals.

Anyways, sorry to butt in :lol:
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Also, I make so much of my own meals from scratch.

I make curry from scratch, literally to point of making my own base sauces and spice mixes, all from proper standard ingredients. I make Chinese dishes from scratch. I make pizza from scratch. I make spaghetti Bolognese from scratch, lasagne from scratch, chicken wraps, roast dinners from scratch and so on.

It helps me know what I am putting in each meal and also helps me make sure I am not getting excessive processed foods or too much salt, sugar, fats or whatever else.

You can be smart to make it quick and efficient too. For example, I bulk make a base curry sauce, I bulk make marinated cooked chicken tikka, bulk make garlic ginger puree etc and also various spice mixes. And then I freeze portions of everything and I have everything I need to hand to make an amazing curry dish in like 15 minutes.

Making stuff in bulk and freezing portions, once you get into it, can help you basically put together your own healthy 'ready meals' or at least give you components to make quick meals later on and it's cheap and you can make sure what you produce is healthy.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

You know that story I said I was thinking about writing? About the Midjourney knockoff from the Deep Web? Well... here it is.