Your emergency food supply / preparedness

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Your emergency food supply / preparedness

Post by Anapan »

I watched that 90's movie about the plane crash and saw the government advisories. Don't go too weird; Eat the ass.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Sounds like I need to up my game :lol:
Gotta get more non-perishables. UHT milk seems interesting; I'll have to look for some.

RE Texas: Man, y'all have had a rough hand dealt to you over the past few years (at least from what I've seen on the news). That one ice storm a couple(?) years ago looked rough.

RE Camp Stoves: I'm not completely opposed to getting a little propane range set-up. I just don't like that you're venturing into non-renewables... I'm not a total eco-nut but I try to reduce my carbon footprint if I can. I have an old wood stove in one of the barns that I never use (just needs a new chimney pipe). I may get off my lazy butt this summer and actually get some wood stored up and use that stove.
I also need to plant more trees this year. I've been kinda lazy on my outdoor tasks these past couple of years.:lol:

RE supplies: I do keep a supply of matches / candles on hand. Actually, the best candles I've found for the price come from Dollar Tree. They're only one-wick so you're not getting a lot of light but they burn for forever. I've used them in every power outage that extends into the night. Additionally, I have found some of those portable battery chargers real handy for cell phones. I haven't really looked into generators yet... Maybe down the line.

I do want to get into learning how to can. Especially since I'm doing a bigger garden this year.

Best to be prepared - Never know when the zombie apocalypse will happen.

Have you considered joining the zombie hordes? You don't have to worry about food, shelter, clothing.... they've got it figured out!

I have discovered that the best cuts of meat on a human being come from the inner thigh territory. In case of emergency, I intend to share this information with my neighbors.

Meat's back on the menu, boys!
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Anapan wrote:Eat the ass.

Giardia has entered the chat.

But seriously, fatty meat has to be smoked otherwise it's just greasy slop.

And before you ask... a meme about Hansel and Gretal.

As for me, where I live hurricanes happen at most once every 1-3 years. Granted there hasn't been a hurricane where I live since 2019.

Aside from the obvious I'd throw in a means of recharging my phone, head lamps and other devices (tablet, Switch, etc). Aside from my phone, tablet and Switch I also have my Retroid Pocket 3+, softmodded 3DS and Vita.

Now, my place is far from hurricane-safe. Naturally I'll have to leave for either a relative's house or a motel.

Of course where I live most people throw hurricane parties. Basically just an excuse to tie one on and ride out the storm pickled AF.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

My camper with my generator, Blackstone, and got can goods stored away. Best I can do lol
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I live in a hurricane prone place, but the areas I have lived in don't usually get hit as hard by them as other areas do. So I usually just hunker down and hope for the best.

I do have like a two week emergency food supply that is non perishable, and I always keep plenty of water on hand regardless of whether or not I'm in the middle of an emergency. So I don't worry too much about food and water.

Beyond that, I don't worry too much. Too much paranoia is a strain on your mental health and God knows I have enough other things to worry about.

I probably should buy a shotgun and machete in case that zombie apocalypse ever comes though. Fortunately, thanks to covid most of us probably already have face masks to keep us safe from all that infected zombie blood flying around :lol:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Don't most Americans already own multiple shotguns??
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

REPO Man wrote:Of course where I live most people throw hurricane parties. Basically just an excuse to tie one on and ride out the storm pickled AF.

Actually, past REPO, that's not how hurricane parties typically work. In my research for a play set during a hurricane party, I discovered it's more than just getting drunk and waiting for the storm to stop. While social drinking IS a possibility it's also heavily discouraged. It's more like a house party but also doubles as a way to pool finite resources for the greater good.

But like I've said before my place is barely adequate to ride out a storm in. Realistically I'd have to either stay at a relative's house or a motel, assuming I don't have to get off the island.

Thankfully knowing what to pack in terms of essentials is idiot-proof. Ideally I'd bring a good number of board games for my family and I to play, but realistically most of my board games might be of no interest to them. While Catan and Ticket to Ride (I have the New York and San Francisco versions) and possibly Santorini (I have the New York version and I bought my niblings the original version for Christmas two years ago) might be a possibility, many of my other games will get a flat-out "nope".