Vinyl in 2023... worth it?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Re: Vinyl in 2023... worth it?

Post by SamuraiMegas »

@Ziggy
I might have to hit you up for that perfect blue soundtrack at one point. Recently watched it and it's one of my favorites now.
I've been seeing a lot more anime soundtracks on vinyl lately and it's really cool. I picked up a vinyl copy of the cowboy bebop soundtrack a while back and it sounds great. I also have some random "Real Folk Blues" 7 inch I got somewhere during COVID.

Speaking of limited print runs, that type of stuff happens in the hip hop scene a lot too. It's been getting popular with some backpacker rappers to drop expensive physical releases (usually vinyl) and not release stuff on streaming. I think it's partially so they don't have to worry about clearing samples.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I keep thinking I can enjoy records, and keep buying them, but I've never had an okay turn table that I'd put a new-bought record in.
Also I only want a sound burger.

Keep your eyes open on the annual racketboy charity auctions because I can't bring myself to actually enjoy it.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Done some shopping on ebay/amazon. Didn't make it out to a physical store yet. I'll post my "finds" when they arrive.

Anapan wrote:I keep thinking I can enjoy records, and keep buying them, but I've never had an okay turn table that I'd put a new-bought record in.
Also I only want a sound burger.

Keep your eyes open on the annual racketboy charity auctions because I can't bring myself to actually enjoy it.

Cool.
Why do you want a sound burger, btw?
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

IMO vinyl being "worth it" really varies from person to person. But if you have the money and space, it can sound great and be a lot of fun to collect. The world of vinyl is expansive and you can find anything from the newest, most popular artists, to forgotten gems from decades past that have never been re-released on CD. I also think 45s are a lot of fun and they're usually cheap enough to blind-buy and potentially discover some interesting sounds.
That said, I don't really have the space for more vinyl in my life these days, so I tend to focus on CDs for physical media music. I think we're going to start seeing a CD revival in the next couple of years but right now you can get almost anything for dirt cheap.

Oh and the Audio Technica Sound Burger is slated to make a return this spring! I want to get one because I think they look SUPER COOL and the fact that they're tiny makes it easy for me to keep one in my apartment and hook up to a boom box when I want to play something.