Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
opa
128-bit

Re: Racketboy Month of Horror 13

by opa Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:45 pm

Ack wrote:The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and The Phantom Carriage are two to consider. Also, if you want a very different take on werewolves, I recommend Wolf's Blood.

I've heard of Caligari but not The Phantom Carriage or Wolf's Blood. I'll look into them. I'm watching Haxan now to get into the spooky mood.

I love October!
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:08 pm

For some silent films:

Le spectre rouge [The Red Spectre]
L' inferno [Dante's Inferno] (Highly recommended)
Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari [The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari]
Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam [The Golem]
Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens [Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror]
Häxan [The Witch]
The Unknown
La chute de la maison Usher [The Fall of the House of Usher]
Ack

by Ack Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:04 am

I actually dislike La chute de la maison Usher because of the changes made for the ending from the original story. The movie is generally excellent, but the ending ruins it for me. There is also an American film that released the same year which I haven't seen.

Admittedly I also much prefer the Roger Corman adaptation with Vincent Price, so I was always going to be skewed on my opinion.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:01 am

So throughout September I was preparing for horror in October. I saved a bunch of movies to my list on various streaming services. But there was one movie, The Night Walker (1964, directed and produced by William Castle), that I couldn't find on any streaming service (of the ones I have access to) nor does NetFlix have it on DVD. But I was able to find the movie on VHS for just a few bucks. I haven't purchased a movie in VHS format in quite a while now. Normally I like to watch movies on my HDTV, and of course I prefer widescreen over pan and scan, but I decided to make an exception in this case.

I don't know, something about an old horror movie on VHS felt right. So I decided to pick up a few more VHS horror movies LOL. I know, I'm crazy. But I specifically hunted for movies that are NOT widescreen so I don't have to deal with pan and scan (I hate the feeling that I'm missing something). And pre-recorded VHS can actually look pretty sharp on a CRT. I have a nice VCR that has Hi-Fi and HQ (don't know if HQ makes a difference on pre-recorded VHS or not, but whatever), and I added Hi-Fi to my criteria of what movies to pick up. A VHS that's Hi-Fi, when played back on a Hi-Fi enabled VCR, apparently can sound almost as good as CD audio (otherwise it's a muffled mono track).

Long story short... One of the things I'm planning to do this October is watch some old horror movies on VHS.

I mentioned in the book thread, there's a few horror books that I've been wanting to read. Realistically, I wont be able to read them all in October. I'm hoping to read at least one novel though, but I'd like to read both Dracula and Frankenstein. I should be able to sneak in a few Goosebumps books too, since they take very little time to read. And I should definitely be able to read a few Poe stories too.

Ideally, I'd like to also have some games lined up to play. But again, if I'm being realistic, I know I don't have the time to get to everything between books, movies and video games. I might try and get to something, perhaps later in the month.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:55 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Long story short... One of the things I'm planning to do this October is watch some old horror movies on VHS.

I mentioned in the book thread, there's a few horror books that I've been wanting to read. Realistically, I wont be able to read them all in October. I'm hoping to read at least one novel though, but I'd like to read both Dracula and Frankenstein. I should be able to sneak in a few Goosebumps books too, since they take very little time to read. And I should definitely be able to read a few Poe stories too.

It’s so cool that you’re watching VHS tapes this month. They’re so much creepier than streaming or discs. There’s just something about that analog technology!

Also, between Frankenstein and Dracula, you should read Dracula. Frankenstein is the better book by far, and you can read it any time of year. Dracula is best in October.

…..

My wife and I watched our first two movies of the month:

The Slit-Mouthed Woman (2007) is a Japanese horror film based on the legend of the Kuchisake-onna (which, I’m pretty sure, just means “slit-mouthed woman” in Japanese). The legend is cool, but the movie is bad. Low production values; terrible acting; and a complete lack of suspense. Skip it!

The War of the Worlds (1953) is a stone-cold classic, winning the first Academy Award for special effects, and it is based on one of my favorite science fiction novels. Parts of the film are really appealing, and the special effects actually hold up pretty well. (Also, the main character is named Dr. Clayton Forrester. :lol: ). The story goes off in this weird religious direction at the end, though, which is odd since HG Wells was pretty vocally opposed to organized religion, especially in The War of the Worlds. That aspect brought the movie down a bit, IMO, but I enjoyed it otherwise.

@Pretentious Hipster…I noticed the other day that Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning is available for streaming. Does that count as a horror film?
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:26 pm

I've started out the build-up to the month re-watching some movies I've already seen, including The Witch (Yay). But also we somehow ended up with Paramount+, so I watched some newer ones that I won't go into depth about, because they're so new and I don't want to ruin the experience for anyone who wants to watch them for themselves. But they included Scream (5) (It's alright) and Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin (meh).

But this is the one I'm posting:

Filmgore (1983) and Reel Exposure (1982)

Yes. Trailer videos. I watched two movies of trailer videos. And they had hosts! Elvira and John Carradine. Sweet. Why did I do this?..... Uh, because I could, I guess. And also it gave me an idea for my (main) theme for the month. Which is to watch some of the films featured in Filmgore. Or at least the ones I haven't already seen. Sadly, most of the ones from Reel Exposure aren't online (though it easily has the more entertaining group of films to watch. Some of those trailer were a damn hoot). But I'm pretty sure everything shown in Filmgore is available for free on one service or another. So (mostly) Filmgore marathon month it is! Onward!
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:14 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:@Pretentious Hipster…I noticed the other day that Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning is available for streaming. Does that count as a horror film?

I use 3 movie websites. Imdb does call it one, RYM says it has horror influences, and letterboxd doesn't. Personally I'd say yes, just in an odd way. I think it deconstructs action tropes by emphasizing how truly brutal and intense action scenes can be to the point that they become horror. It is incredibly violent to the point that you could call it body horror, and I think because of that it makes the stakes super high to horror, if not thriller levels. As a bonus some of the action sequences alone are up there with the greats.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:02 am

Last night I watched Alone by John Hyams. Watched it immediately after seeing that it was directed by, oddly enough, the guy who did Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning. This did not disappoint. A very straightforward and predictable plot, but he manages to make it incredibly suspenseful. He's a filmmaker that doesn't beat around the bush, and is very blunt and straight to the point. It was perfect for a genre film like this. Not to mention how amazing he is at filming violence. Even just a punch looks and feels so brutal. It's almost TOO brutal. I'll definitely have to check out more of his work.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:11 am

Thanks for the recommendation, PH! I’ll have to check out that one too.

Last night, my wife and I watched the Lucio Fulci “classic” The Beyond (1981). It’s basically a non-sensical plot and huge continuity issues anchored to extended close ups of pretty awesome gore effects. Lucio Fulci may have a cult following, but I have yet to be impressed by any of his films. Maybe City of the Living Dead or Zombi 2 will do it for me…
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:40 pm

Double Post!

For ours show this month, my wife and I are watching Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin. It’s like a mashup of Mean Girls and Friday the 13th, with a ton of fun references to classic horror films. We’re only a couple episodes in, but we’re enjoying it so far.

Any good horror series the rest of you are watching this month?
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever