Keyboards - what do you use? +suggestions

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Gucci
64-bit

Re: Keyboards - what do you use? +suggestions

Post by Gucci »

I have four setups and have Logitech at each one. At the home office for when I work from home, I have the MX Keys. In the office I have the K780.

At home I have two gaming rigs: my first ever built that I refurbed after building a new totally new one in 2018. Both are now collecting dust. Anyway, the older one has the G613 and the newer one has the G915 with clicky switches.

Are there better brands? Yeah probably. But I have brand loyalty to a fault. Never had an issue with their mouse and keyboards.

Edit: right, suggestions too.
MX Keys: backlit keyboard with membrane switches like a laptop. The light is motion activated and is charged via USB-C. Has a built-in angle thing that can't be adjusted. Full keyboard and comes in a ten-keyless. Can be paired with dongle or bluetooth up three devices. Keys feel fine. caps are concaved and are double shot.

K780: not backlit. Full keyboard but in a smaller package. Heavy and has a lip to put an iPad or phone into to propped it up. Connects to three devices. Circular keycaps and is membrane as well. Letters are stickers. The key strikes are the quietest I've ever experienced: good for office setting unless you're a monster who uses clicky switches in the office. Battery operated.

G613: first wireless mechanical keyboard from Logitech. No RGB. G-Romer tactile switches. Big boy with wrist rest that can't be removed. Sticker letters. Macros support.

G915: Fully RGB with double shot keycaps. Low latency. Low profile with metal front. Rechargeable via micro USB. Multiple profiles and Macros support. Mine is their GL Clicky model. Love the noise. Comes in ten-keyless and the G815 is the wired version.

I am no typists. But all feel pretty good to type on.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I got a Lenovo tiny Thinkcentre recently. It came with a new no-name, generic membrane keyboard. It's actually really comfortable to type on! I'm using it in my current setup for now. It's really quiet. I do miss my backlit keys though.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Unicomps...

I'm looking at the "New Model M". I like the look of black okay but I'd prefer one of the classic models for the beige-ish color. On their website it literally says to buy the new one over the classic.... why? I don't know; it doesn't say. So I emailed them! I await a response.
I understand saying "buy the new product" but it's weird to not have a justification to do so.

Edit. Got a response!
The only common things between the two keyboards are the buttons and electronics. The Classic is a much larger keyboard with a bigger footprint. It looks and feels more like the original IBM Model M of the past. The New Model M is manufactured with the newer tooling so the texture on the cover is much more pronounced and sleek. This keyboard is of a smaller footprint and the meeting lines between the top and bottom cover fit together much better than the Classic. The Classic is not made with the newer tooling.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yes, that's exactly what I've heard and seen from video reviews. They're making them from old, worn molds so they have imperfections and gaps. I didn't realize that before watching a review, so I'm kind of on the fence about it. But from I've heard in reviews, they still FEEL great when you type on them, which is what really matters. They're just less than perfect visually, if you can live with it.

Personally, I'm not willing to pay eBay prices for a used IBM Model M. Especially since most of them look like they need a really good cleaning and/or de-yellowing. Don't get me wrong, if I ever find one in a thrift store, and they don't know what they have so it's priced similarly to other run-of-the-mill keyboards, then I'm definitely grabbing it. I'll do whatever cleaning or de-yellowing is needed. But for those eBay prices, I expect that thing to be cleaned and de-yellowed FOR me! So on that note, buying a new albeit slightly imperfect one is more appealing to me.

The black one at least has grey keys. You could spray the black shell a nice grey color and get the best of both worlds!

But I don't know, isn't part of the Model M legend that they're big and heavy? So the new black ones are smaller. I wish they gave size specs for each model on their website. Or for that matter, ANY description at all! Now I'm also wondering about the weight difference between both models.

That's good to know that they responded to your inquiry. I was actually thinking about emailing them with some questions after you mentioned them in the other thread. Like, will the USB versions work with a standard passive PS/2 adapter?
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

A lot of the videos I've seen show people literally flexing the classic models but the new ones seem okay. I'm honestly leaning towards the new one now.

I'm not really looking for a used model M as A) I've never used one but would like to and B) don't care to buy something that may need work. I don't want a project and, from what I've seen, if you buy a used one that's exactly what you're getting.

Yeah, it sucks they only list specs for the new one. Here they are for anyone interested:
Connection : USB or PS/2
Cable length : 6 ft.
Number of keys/buttons : 104
Length : 17.9 in (455 mm)
Depth : 7.5 in (180 mm)
Height : 1.96 in (50 mm)
Weight : 3 lb 11 oz
Compatible : PC
Gross Weight : 6 lbs
Manufactured in Kentucky

Zig, I'd shoot them an email. They responded to me the same day. I'm sure they'll be quick to get to you.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Got a NOS set of a ps/2 Compaq mouse and keyboard. They're nothing special (other than being new); just standard equipment. But it really does remind me of the old days!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Nice!

I have that same Compaq mouse, although it needs a little cleaning and possibly de-yellowing. And that other auction for the Compaq keyboard we were talking about, I ended up getting!

My family's first PC was a Compaq Presario, so I'm definitely nostalgic for them! Also, that damn orange PS/2 connector! Is Compaq the only one to use orange? The standard became teal and purple.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Cool. I hope the keyboard works out!

It felt wrong plugging an orange plug into the purple port. LOL. What the heck, Compaq?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Looks like you need to get a period correct Compaq to plug it into then... Those will have orange keyboard ports. :lol:
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

The situation is actually a little more dire. It's not even plugged into a Compaq... they're plugged into an HP! lol