Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

What is your favorite team sport to watch?

by RCBH928 Tue May 24, 2022 6:25 pm

I am not much of a sports buff, I like to watch football(soccer) like the rest of planet earth but not a dedicated fan. I was looking into team sports, and here is what I gathered. Other than football I have only seen some clips:-

Football: can be a huge snooze fest with 90min of nothing going on and 7-8 months of competition is expected. Where football wins is the huge playground gives it a battlefield like feeling. There is a lot of drama, comedy, comebacks, surprises , and neck to neck action even to the last seconds and a lot of complex tactics and actions that can be taken. Its like a battle but in football.

Basketball : The extremely quick gameplay is not for me. You really can't tell whats going on until literally the last single digit seconds where you might be losing the title turned into winning the championship as the referee blows his whistle. Its too fast am not sure how would a coach set a plan for his team to follow.

Hockey : only popular in Canada and US for the most part. I never watched it but I think it might be a mix between football gameplay and Basketball speed. Football on fast forward if you may.

American Football: I do not get what is exciting about this one. Looks like someone is playing a turn based RPG. Team takes ball moves a little forward, gameplay stops, wait for next action. My only guess that its exciting on the technical/strategical gameplay of the coach on how he got to win a game. I am guessing its like chess where you pay attention to the strategy but not the in field action. All I see is someone picking the ball and running as far as possible before getting tackled.

Baseball: I tried to watch a game and its one of the most boring sports. you just sit there and watch someone try throwing a ball and the other hopefully hitting it with the bat. I know it has its exciting seconds but there is a lot of boring filler, actually most of it. Feels like its something that would be happening on the side while you would enjoy a social gathering or a picnic instead of watching closely.

Cricket : Never watched, going to guess similar to baseball

Rugby: Feels more exciting than American Football since the gameplay seems to more continuous but looks like total chaos. Feels like soccer but with hands.

Handball and Volleyball: Handball does not seem to excite anyone , feels like a game I like to play but not watch. As for volleyball I do not think many people enjoy watching a ball bouncing around. I never heard of much attention given to volleyball or handball games like Football World Cup or NFL SuperBowl.

This is my uneducated non-researched opinion just what I gathered. Whats your favorite team sport and why you like to watch it?
marurun

Re: What is your favorite team sport to watch?

by marurun Tue May 24, 2022 10:10 pm

Once you learn what’s going on and how to track the puck hockey is a blast to watch, and I normally hate sports. Volleyball can be fun, but only the womens teams from countries with shorter women. Then it’s not a spike-fest and they have to do a lot more positioning and strategy. Sumo is also awesome: lots of ritual and posturing and intimidation and then the match goes down and is over in a second.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Wed May 25, 2022 8:43 am

I don't want watch as many as I used to. American pro and College football, college basketball, UFC, and boxing are what I keep up with these days.

Soccer and Hockey has always been boring to me. I gave hockey a shot but I just don't care. I used to watch a ton of baseball and pro basketball but just lost the time to follow it and all the games in a season. Once the players I followed forever retired, I just lost interest.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed May 25, 2022 11:35 am

marurun wrote:Once you learn what’s going on and how to track the puck hockey is a blast to watch, and I normally hate sports. Volleyball can be fun, but only the womens teams from countries with shorter women. Then it’s not a spike-fest and they have to do a lot more positioning and strategy. Sumo is also awesome: lots of ritual and posturing and intimidation and then the match goes down and is over in a second.

I tried to see clips from a hockey game and I was completely lost, the players and the referees are circling the whole field and I can't see where the puck is. Saw some footage from volleyball game USA vs Japan in world cup final, spikes are closer to rockets being fired.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Sat May 28, 2022 4:25 am

I mostly watch football with a bit of America Football and twenty/twenty cricket mixed in or one day if the world cup is on.

Liked playing rugby at school and I like how it's refereed but both codes I find pretty impenetrable to watch. The fans suck too.

Basketball I find really tedious. It might be high scoring but that's meaningless when you can't properly defend. Comical emphasis on height as physical factor as well than other sports.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat May 28, 2022 4:14 pm

Which British club do you cheer for? EPL finale was neck-to-neck
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Sun May 29, 2022 8:58 am

I'm a Man City fan so the season ended well for me, especially with Liverpool losing last night.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun May 29, 2022 6:14 pm

Sload Soap wrote:I'm a Man City fan so the season ended well for me, especially with Liverpool losing last night.

congratulations . This is off topic, but I always wondered since there are 2 clubs representing Manchester on what basis do Manchester residents choose to cheer for United or City?
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sun May 29, 2022 11:59 pm

RCBH928 wrote:
Sload Soap wrote:I'm a Man City fan so the season ended well for me, especially with Liverpool losing last night.

congratulations . This is off topic, but I always wondered since there are 2 clubs representing Manchester on what basis do Manchester residents choose to cheer for United or City?

Not sure about Manchester, but Chicago chooses Cubs or White Sox based on location. Same pretty much with Yankees and Mets, and certainly true for Rangers and Islanders as well, partly true for Knicks and Nets. No idea about LA teams.

Not a team sport, but the only sport I really enjoy watching is boxing, though it pales in comparison to the heavyweight bouts of 25+ years ago. UFC for me lacks the sophisticated charm that the boxing has, and wrestling of course is for children. American football is probably second for its strategic manoeuvering. The rest is fun, but not overly engaging to me.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Mon May 30, 2022 4:59 pm

Location and family. My dad went to City as a kid and then took me. He lived a mile or so from the ground. Before the money poured in from the UAE most City fans would have been from in or just about around Manchester. Now it's a bit different.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever