Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: What is your favorite team sport to watch?

by RCBH928 Mon May 30, 2022 6:00 pm

So basically you pick the club closest to your living area?

I would assume someone would pick a more specific region of a city if that club represents that region (Lets assume Los Angeles and San Fransisco but both in California) but in Manchester's case both are named Manchester so it was confusing at least for me.

@o.pwuaioc

thanks ! I kind of like boxing and see UFC as a street fight not a sport. In both cases I refuse them as sports simply because I think a sport where the main goal of the game is to inflect damage on the opponent should not be considered sport. Yes I like boxing but I have to refuse it because of what I believe is correct. Honestly, it should be illegal.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:29 am

I'm a big baseball and basketball fan. I like NFL football as well, but overall I don't like the sport as much as the other two mentioned. I grew up watching the NY Yankees, Knicks, and Giants with my father. Luckily, the Yankees were very good in the mid to late 90s, because it'd be tough to watch poorly played baseball.

My father became a Yankees season ticket holder at the beginning of 1996, so we got a chance to go to a lot of great and memorable games. We even went to Game 6 of the 1996 World Series, and saw the Yankees win their first championship since 1978! Which ended up being the beginning of a dynasty. Great times! I really miss going to ball games with my father.

The Knicks were also good in the 90s, but have mostly stunk with the exception of a few seasons the past 20 years. Hoping they can get it together! They did make the playoffs in 2021, and my partner and I had a chance to go to a playoff game, which was amazing. The energy at Madison Square Garden was electric, we had a blast.

Regarding NFL football, I prefer to watch it on TV. It's just too cold here for me in the winter time to sit outside for hours and watch the game. But I enjoy using Super Bowl Sunday as an excuse to make wings or chili.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:46 pm

Weird how not many members like American football when it's clearly, and it's not even close, the most popular sport. I mean the NFL draft draws more viewers than other sports playoff games lol.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:48 am

My only guess most members are not Americans, or retro-gamers and sport fans do not crossover too much?!

I never understood the appeal of American Football to Americans specifically. I mean the rest of the world is soccer crazy.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:51 pm

RCBH928 wrote:My only guess most members are not Americans, or retro-gamers and sport fans do not crossover too much?!

I've seen more crossover between gamers and pro wrestling fans than I have gamers and REAL sports. I'm not big into sports myself, but I think American football is FAR better than soccer and if I was forced to watch a sport I'd pick football over soccer. American football is a real man's sport IMO. Maybe watching the series Friday Night Lights has something to do with me appreciating football.

I think the only real sport to ever generate any real interest from me is UFC. As a fan of pro wrestling and old school, martial arts movies there's a certain appeal that UFC has for me. I've only dipped my feet in though and am not exactly a hardcore fan just yet, but I'm trying to catch some of the pay per views when they happen
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:02 am

What you mean NFL is a real man sport? Although I am willing to do more research I just do not see the attraction to it. BTW, if you are an American, in the outside world its soccer...and soccer only. Every other sport fan base is minute compared to soccer fans. Not the best measurement but Dallas Cowboys followers Twitter are 4.5M meanwhile Manchester United (British Soccer club) followers are 30M+ . Surprisingly, I heard cricket is the second biggest fan base around the world!

---

a bit out of topic, but I heard American sport clubs are basically a private business, meanwhile this applies to some soccer clubs (others are publicly owned) , most all soccer clubs represent a geographical region. Cheering for an American sports club feels like cheering for Microsoft or Comcast?! I hear they can even switch states so Chicago Bulls can turn into LA Bulls. Tell me if I am wrong.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:20 am

Dallas cowboys revenue was over 800 million last year. Manchester united was 192 million. Just another comparison. None 9f those soccer teams come close to what any NFL teams pull in.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:30 am

RCBH928 wrote:What you mean NFL is a real man sport? Although I am willing to do more research I just do not see the attraction to it. BTW, if you are an American, in the outside world its soccer...and soccer only. Every other sport fan base is minute compared to soccer fans. Not the best measurement but Dallas Cowboys followers Twitter are 4.5M meanwhile Manchester United (British Soccer club) followers are 30M+ . Surprisingly, I heard cricket is the second biggest fan base around the world!

---

a bit out of topic, but I heard American sport clubs are basically a private business, meanwhile this applies to some soccer clubs (others are publicly owned) , most all soccer clubs represent a geographical region. Cheering for an American sports club feels like cheering for Microsoft or Comcast?! I hear they can even switch states so Chicago Bulls can turn into LA Bulls. Tell me if I am wrong.

There are very few football clubs remaining that are publicly owned if any. The German teams have a rule where fan groups own a majority of the clubs stock (50+1) to avoid a company or private company from taking complete control although this hasn't always been the case as some clubs, Bayer Leverkuesen and Volkswagen Fussball Club Wolfburg, were factory teams who got good.

American sports teams individually will probably always be worth more than European football clubs but there are 32(?) NFL teams and then the NBA and MLB. Collectively though there are nearly 4000 professional football teams across the globe so the viewing numbers are always higher if spread out.

Cricket sneaks in purely because it's so popular in India and Pakistan. Some mad crowds turn out for those IPL games.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:09 am

@stickem

I am not sure if you are referring to revenue or pure profit as pure profit might be affected by high spending by the club. According to this Forbes article Real Madrid pulls in about $761 in revenue (Manchester seems similar.)

Something is out of the picture though. I know for a fact that Euro teams are followed by people (at least) in all of Europe, Africa, and Asia. No way Only USA clubs are generating similar revenue. Think of all the broadcasting rights, merchandise, etc etc.

My only explanation is what Sload Soap says. In USA there are only 32 NFL teams (less than 1 per state) meanwhile in England there are 8 divisions assuming 15 per division that would be 120 clubs for England alone. (numbers rough estimations). If we apply this to USA then we should have 120 clubs per state equaling 6,000 NFL teams!

(Why some states do not have NFL teams?)

@sload soap

Maybe in Europe but world wide there are still many public clubs even Real Madrid are public. I would consider German is public since majority is owned by the fans. Even if the clubs are private, they represent a specific region like Barcelona FC and AC Milan. I am not sure if this is the case with American teams which can change states and do not necessary represent any region or group of people. Its just a business corporation playing sports, why would I cheer for that. To make it see it from my perspective, I am not cheering for ATT basketball team vs McDonalds. I would cheer for New York Yankees if I was from New York (assuming they do not change state).

Cricket is popular in Pakistan and India, but facts are facts, they still draw second most number of viewers as a sport. Very surprising to me since its mostly concentrated in that region of the world.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever