Cobra Kai is one of the best shows available right now

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Cobra Kai is one of the best shows available right now

Post by Raging Justice »

I just finished season 4 and they did it again

AWESOME season of television. This show is so consistent. Does anybody here watch it? It's so full of 80s, retro goodness, but also feels very modern. It's got lots of action, great characters, great story arcs, and plenty of surprises. Plus, it's damn funny sometimes too

Anybody who is into the 80s, the Karate Kid movies, or just good TV needs to check it out. Mr Miyagi would approve

Ziggy

Re: Cobra Kai is one of the best shows available right now

Post by Ziggy »

LOL, I just finished watching season 4 as well. I couldn't agree more with you. This show has some great writing. The drama that they inject into it never makes me roll my eyes, I only want more. And I love how they constantly tie the plot to the original 3 movies, with flashbacks and everything. It's done in a way that doesn't at all feel forced. And I love that they have the original actors. The story and character arcs are amazing. And it's damn funny as well.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19828&p=1161119&hilit=cobra+kai#p1161119

How does seasons 3 and 4 shape up against 1? I will say that I found much of the teen drama in season 1 to be eye-rolling, something that I never did with the original Karate Kid. Perhaps it's the difference between being a movie and being a mini-series, where they need that extra content and ham it up.

This could also probably fit nicely in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18819&p=1173469#p1173469
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I need to get back into it. I liked the first couple seasons and kind of lost interest as it got to corny for me and the cheese factor went way up. are ya'll kids or power rangers lol?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

LOL, yes, the fighting gets a little outlandish. But it's a TV show, so you gotta give it suspension of disbelief. The fighting is pretty well choreographed, so even if it gets unrealistic in it's frequency and epicness, it's still awesome to watch. You also gotta figure it's a TV show about Karate. If too much time go by without any fighting then what's left? 90210. Is it realistic? Absolutely not. But it's so damn entertaining.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I think everything the show does is keeping with the spirit of the movies. I mean, if you want to talk about corny and cheesy few things in the history of cinema are more corny and cheesy than the crane kick and yet I never heard karate kid fans complain about that.

Plus, Cobra Kai is pretty self aware and occasionally pokes fun at its own silliness. And yet, there are times when the show gets amazing real, like when exploring the personal issues some characters have and where they stem from. Post traumatic stress from war, people with deep seated anger issues, daddy issues, mid life crises, teens having to take on adult responsibilities, or even just seeing characters try to come to grips with how much the world has actually changed since the 80s. That last part is actually one of my favorite parts of the show. There are very funny scenes involving characters coming to grips with how different culture is these days. Seeing Johhny Lawrence get confused when a girl talks about her pronouns or seeing the frustrated look on LaRusso's face when someone accuses him of cultural appropriation is funny stuff.

Some of the fights are actually really well choreographed, particularly from people in the show who know actual martial arts

As for the teen drama, it's always going to be part of the show, but I feel like there was more focus on it in season 1 than there is now. Some of the kids have evolved and grown up a bit

I personally like all four seasons. I've seen some people say though that they think the quality dropped off slightly after season 1, but I'm seeing those same people say season 4 was a return to form. To me, they've all been great, but this last season in particular impressed me (season 4). The way that all of the different relationships and rivalries built up over the first three seasons are playing out now is fantastic. Lots of payoffs.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

If the show wasn't somewhat cheesy it wouldn't be true to the source material. :lol:

I'm not up to date on any show, so I've only watched the first two seasons. I wouldn't say it's great, but it is a very entertaining show, and that's plenty. I'll be glad to catch up with the later seasons in time.

I usually just watch an hour of tv when I'm on my exercise bike, and I will say Cobra Kai is just about the perfect show for that. Entertaining and compulsively watchable, but not too complicated.

I have a weird sort of rating system based on how many active calories my watch says I burned in a hourlong workout. Cobra Kai's near the top with about 360, while Apple TV's Invasion moves like molasses and comes in at around 260. What a slog!
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

So...apparently we just got an AEW crossover LOL. Dr Britt Baker has a new "sensei". They actually played this straight, with Kreese completely in character throughout the show