Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Labour prices

by RCBH928 Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:52 pm

Gucci wrote:I’m a commercial credit underwriter. I see a bunch of tax returns for contractors such as electricians and plumbers. If it’s a decently large outfit, there’s quite a lot of expenses involved. Insurance, material, labor costs, equipment expenses, staffing people for the offices? etc.

Definitely not taking that $280/hr home. They'd be lucky for $40 of that $280.

I am not talking about a multi-million contractor to re-wire the empire state building that will have 20 engineers on site, 3 cranes, 6 stair towers, and 5 trucks. I am talking about a guy with a toolbox.

stickem wrote:I think you're confusing what an electrician company charges per hour vs what an individual electrician makes per hour.

If you are talking about me you might be correct, maybe my research showed what an electrical contractor chargers not individual.

Limewater wrote:
stickem wrote:I think you're confusing what an electrician company charges per hour vs what an individual electrician makes per hour.

On top of that, I think he might be confusing average service call price with hourly rate. My searches on electrician hourly rates shows something more like $80-$100 per hour, but getting a skilled tradesman to your house generally costs more than just the hourly rate.
But yes, a tradesman actually makes way less than his hourly rate.

Yea if $80-100 thats a more reasonable price so a 2 day work of 5 hours will be a more reasonable $1000 compared to $2800. If my numbers were wrong I apologies. I just accepted the numbers because I knew labour is very expensive.
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:07 pm

RCBH928 wrote:Do corporates pay their employees for traveling to and back from work?! Either way, most of them will be traveling 30-40min to job site so its not even a full hour and how much would that cost?

The electrician doesn't get paid to travel between home and work. That's his morning commute. But travel between his supplier and dispatch station is absolutely fair game to consider in placing a bid for a job.

Your second question is solvable using math. You multiply his round-trip travel time by the hourly billing rate.

If you have a specific instance where you believe that the price quoted to you by an electrician for a specific job is too high there are other possibilities. A small job has almost as much overhead as a large job, so the quote may be unusually high because the electrician just doesn't want to do the job and deal with the headache. They tend to like bigger jobs. And most right now would much rather be wiring new construction than going out for tiny jobs.

You may have better luck looking for a general handy-man. The jobs you have mentioned are pretty basic.

Anther thing to consider is if you live in a high cost-of-living area. Hourly rates will be higher. Also, if you live in a really nice neighborhood your quotes will be higher.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
marurun

by marurun Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:02 pm

Residential electricians also do charge different rates than commercial ones. And many local companies often do have an employee or sub-contractor or two in addition to the owner.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:54 pm

Okay maybe I went overboard with some nonsense :lol:

Just ignore me haha
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever