Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Month of Horror 12: 80 Weeks Later

by PretentiousHipster Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:57 pm

Starting off with some mediocrity unfortunately. Black Death was interesting with its bleakness, but I can see it being a turn off because of its misanthropy. I would have liked seeing a more in-depth religious crisis with the main character, and the twist near the end felt completely unnecessary to me.

I wanted to see Vampire Journals because I was really into Bloodstone: Subspecies 2, and it was a spinoff of that film series. It's pretty much a teenage vampire fanfic coming to life. Entertaining but garbage at the same time. It's made partially better by the director's fantastic style, which reminds me of some Italian horrors. The worst part is that it's missing Radu, who is the most pathetic and overdramatic vampire in the best way possible.

Note
Next-Gen

by Note Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:45 pm

Over the weekend my partner and I watched the new Candyman movie. She saw it in theaters with a friend and enjoyed it, but I wanted to see it as well so we watched it on Amazon Prime for a fee, since the movie is still currently in theaters.

I heard the movie was getting mixed reviews, but I liked it. I think if you're a fan of the original movie, you'll enjoy it. I don't want to give away anything so I'm not going to go into detail about the plot or main characters, but it's an entertaining slasher flick with some funny moments.

I'm also looking forward to marathoning through other horror movies this month, so I appreciate all the reviews in the thread. There's been a few mentioned that I'm interested in watching too!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:54 pm

<singing>It’s the hap-happiest season of all!<singing>

The month of horror is upon us, and I started it out right! Tonight’s movie was Lucio Fulci’s Murder to the Tune of Seven Black Notes (a/k/a The Psychic). It is a glorious giallo film about a clairvoyant woman, played by the beautiful Jennifer O’Neill, who has visions of a murder. The Poe-inspired story (which ends up being pretty good, actually) is somewhat beside the point, and the real reason to watch this movie is for the garish gore, stylish film-making, wonderful interior design, and stupendous fashion. Jennifer O’Neill’s clothes in this movie are just fantastic, and she looks great in every possible shade of mauve and taupe. The electronic soundtrack (which featured prominently in Quentin Tarantino’s Kill Bill Vol. 1) has aged wonderfully, and while the film is not particularly scary, it is really, really cool. Highly recommended. (Murder to the Tune of Seven Black Notes is available for streaming on Kanopy.)

prfsnl_gmr’s Spook-tacular Horror Month Movie List
Murder to the Tune of Seven Black Notes - :D

prfsnl_gmr’s Horror Movie Month Pre-Gaming…of Death!
The Fly (1958) - :|
Cam (2018) - :D
Werewolves Within (2021) - :D
When a Stranger Calls (1979) - :|
Uzumaki (2000) - :)
Malignant (2021) - :)
Triangle (2009) - :)
Lair of the White Worm (1988) - :(
Nightbooks (2021) - :)
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:55 pm

Watched a bad film called Terrorvision, but, I could recommend to a certain niche of people.

It's 80s at its most cheesiest, to the point that it's a parody. The characters are not characters, they are stereotypical caricatures. Everything about each character is exaggerated to an absurdist extent. It also uses the alien and horror tropes to their fullest extent. It seems to be both a parody, and a celebration of everything 80s. So, why don't I like it? It falls into TOO stupid territory at times. I think that 80s horror needs to be in a fine line if they choose to go the self-aware route, and this went way too much into it.

Still, this has a 0% score on rotten tomatoes, and even if I don't like it I find that incredibly low score to be undeserved. Basically, I'd think you'd like it if you were an 80s kid and wanna see the type of film you would snuck in at midnight in a sleepover when you were like 11.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:13 pm

First write up of October! So exciting!

Sorority House Massacre

A shockingly well put-together B-tiered slasher produced by non other than Roger Corman and written and directed by someone involved with Slumber Party Massacre. Unsurprisingly, it shares a lot of similarities with that particular movie, but it also has pieces of Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street mixed in as well, so it manages to at least have some uniqueness to it. Because of it's low budget it's filled with a lot of predictable oddities, but the story and direction are actually very solid and clearly well thought out, which is highly unusual for cheep-y little productions like this, but also much appreciated. It does end up being very predictable, but it's a fun, quick romp for slasher fans.

Hopefully I'll have the next one up by Wednesday. If you want a hint, I'm thinking I'm going to unofficially be calling this "Massacre" week.
Ack

by Ack Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:18 pm

Right, so you're watching Psycho Cop, got it.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:24 pm

What? Oh god, no. I've already seen Psycho Cop. I don’t need to subject myself to that again.

Though now that I've now watched my movie, I'm fairly confident in saying that it's actually worse than that movie. Good times :lol:

But other than my questionable movie watching, I've also finally started watching Stranger Things. I was planning on spreading it out over the whole month, but I can already tell that it’s not going to last that long, so I'll have to find some other creepy-themed show to watch when I'm done (other than my occasional episodes of Tales from the Crypt).
Ack

by Ack Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:54 pm

Meanwhile, I completely avoided the "classic" type of horror and instead moved directly to "crap" with Sabretooth.

Sabretooth

In which a motley crew of actors with varying levels of talent take on both a terrible script and a horrible CG saber-tooth tiger. There are references to much better movies throughout too, such as Predator, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Jurassic Park. And every time they do it, I'm reminded of just how much better those movies are compared to this one. Yet there are also some surprising levels of blood and gore for a made-for-TV movie from the Sci Fi Channel.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:25 pm

The first horror film written entirely by bots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZzbxNoMjGM
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:05 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:The first horror film written entirely by bots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZzbxNoMjGM

“He failed the whale puzzle. All do.” :lol:

…..

My wife and I watched Death Laid an Egg (1968) the other night, which we thought was a horror movie. Despite featuring surreal imagery, a sadist, multiple stabbings, and a man falling to his death into a machine that grinds chicken feed, it was not, in fact, a horror film. Just a deeply weird movie. I will get some more horror film reviews up soon, though.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever