Racketboy Month of Horror 12: 80 Weeks Later

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Month of Horror 12: 80 Weeks Later

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

A double dose of French cannibal films!

First up was The Living Dead Girl (a/k/a La Morte Vivante) (1982). Directed by Jean Rollin, a director with a remarkably long Wikipedia page for someone who made mostly low-budget erotic vampire films, The Living Dead Girl is about a young woman, Catherine, who dies at a young age, but is revived when some grave robbers spill toxic chemicals in her family crypt. She immediately kills them, of course, and then proceeds to devour them. Confused (and, probably, brain-damaged from her time being, you know, dead), Catherine wanders back to her family home and, somehow, telephones her best friend and blood-sister, Helene. Her blood-sister, who didn’t seem that broken up the first time her friend died, is suddenly very invested in keeping her revived friend alive by finding her fresh meat. Eventually, the titular living dead girl, by slowly regaining her humanity, realizes this is wrong, and tries very desperately to be dead again. Helene is so committed to keeping her alive, however, that she not only prevents Catherine from re-killing herself, but allows the living dead girl to eat her alive. The film mostly features terrible acting, bare-chested young women, and blood that looks suspiciously like paint, but it also features a few scenes of remarkable beauty. Better, it is consistently entertaining, and we both really enjoyed it. (The Living Dead Girl is available for streaming on Kanopy.)

Tonight’s film was Raw (2016), a French coming-of-age body horror film about a young vegetarian woman who, after eating meat for the first time, develops an insatiable desire for human flesh. The impeccably-constructed movie, from recent Palm D’Ore winner Julia Ducournau, is infused with strong feminist themes, and the young women’s burgeoning desire for raw meat is largely symbolic. Don’t worry, though! The film isn’t so committed to its art that it shies away from exceptionally bloody thrills, and the film (which, allegedly, caused some screeners at a Toronto film festival to faint), has enough gore for even the most seasoned horror fans. (Raw is available for streaming on Netflix.)

prfsnl_gmr’s Spook-tacular Horror Month Movie List
Murder to the Tune of Seven Black Notes (a/k/a The Psychic) (1977) - :D
Death Laid an Egg (1968) - :|
Brain Damage (1988) - :)
Creep (2014) - :)
Creep 2 (2017) - :D
Midsommar (2019) - :)
The Turn of the Screw (2009) - :(
The Living Dead Girl (a/k/a La Morte Vivante) (1982) - :)
Raw (2016) - :D

prfsnl_gmr’s Horror Movie Month Pre-Gaming…of Death!
The Fly (1958) - :|
Cam (2018) - :D
Werewolves Within (2021) - :D
When a Stranger Calls (1979) - :|
Uzumaki (2000) - :)
Malignant (2021) - :)
Triangle (2009) - :)
Lair of the White Worm (1988) - :(
Nightbooks (2021) - :)
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Rollin is worth watching just for the aesthetic.

I did see Possessor which is a masterpiece and the director might actually live up to his dad's name (Cronenberg), but alas, I wouldn't call it horror. I assume it has horror tags in websites because there are a few scenes of extreme gore, but imo that doesn't necessarily make it a horror film.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Hack-O-Lantern

I think this might be a perfect, stupid Halloween slasher movie. You've got a stupid plot with Satanists, pumpkins, and crazy people, and then you've got lots of nudity and gore on top of that. They even threw in a cheesy music video with lasers and snakes. It's so bizarre, but yet seems to fit so perfectly with the holiday. Basically stupid slasher fun filled with stupid people and stupid puns. How oddly delightful.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Never stop, Michi. Your reviews are amazing, and you watch the most fascinating films! :lol:
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Never stop, Michi. Your reviews are amazing, and you watch the most fascinating films! :lol:

Glad you approve.... I think :lol:

Last movie of October!

Dark Nightof the Scarecrow

I really liked this one. It's probably the best made for TV horror movie I think I've seen. Good acting, good imagry, nice steady build-up, just an all together well made film. And perfect for Halloween. Two thumbs up.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Happy Day After Halloween!

On Saturday, my wife and I watched Freaky (2020), which is a horror-comedy remake of Freaky Friday. In it, a young woman (played by Kathryn Newton) trades bodies with a slasher film villain (played by Vince Vaughn) when she stabs her with a magical dagger. She has 24 hours to stab herself with the dagger again, or she’ll be stuck in an old, creepy body forever. The slasher villain using his new teenage girl body to continue his murder spree is a complicating factor. Kathryn Newton is great as a murderous slasher villain trapped in a fragile final girl body, and Vince Vaughn is both genuinely terrifying as a hulking slasher villain and genuinely hilarious an an up shallow, athletic teenage girl trapped in the body of a hulking slasher villain. The body count is high, and the film is packed with over-the-top kills. It is way, way better than a horror-comedy remake of Freaky Friday has any right to be, and my wife and I really enjoyed it. (Available for streaming on HBO Max.)

On Halloween, my wife and I watched The Dude Bro Party Massacre III (2015) based on a recommendation from Polygon:

https://www.polygon.com/22746950/dude-b ... edy-tropes

It is a modern horror-comedy satire that presents itself as a banned slasher movie recorded off public access TV in 1990. It pokes fun at a lot of slasher movie tropes, and some parts are laugh-out-loud funny. Moreover, the movie is full of creative kills, and features a pretty great villain. A lot of the movie is just bizarre, however, and much of it consists of people either screaming or screaming at each other. It is t nearly as good as the article makes it out to be, and a lot of the gags fell flat. I can’t say we hated it, certainly, but sadly, I can’t really recommend it either. (The Dude Bro Party Massacre III is available for streaming on Tubi.)

See you next year!

…..

prfsnl_gmr’s Spook-tacular Horror Month Movie List
Murder to the Tune of Seven Black Notes (a/k/a The Psychic) (1977) - :D
Death Laid an Egg (1968) - :|
Brain Damage (1988) - :)
Creep (2014) - :)
Creep 2 (2017) - :D
Midsommar (2019) - :)
The Turn of the Screw (2009) - :(
The Living Dead Girl (a/k/a La Morte Vivante) (1982) - :)
Raw (2016) - :D
Freaky (2020) - :D
The Dude Bro Party Massacre III (2015) - :|

prfsnl_gmr’s Horror Movie Month Pre-Gaming…of Death!
The Fly (1958) - :|
Cam (2018) - :D
Werewolves Within (2021) - :D
When a Stranger Calls (1979) - :|
Uzumaki (2000) - :)
Malignant (2021) - :)
Triangle (2009) - :)
Lair of the White Worm (1988) - :(
Nightbooks (2021) - :)
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

My partner and I still plan to watch tons of horror. It being November won't stop us. It's ok if I say some minor reviews of anything in this thread despite the month ending? Or am I better off just posting in the last movie I saw thread.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

PretentiousHipster wrote:My partner and I still plan to watch tons of horror. It being November won't stop us. It's ok if I say some minor reviews of anything in this thread despite the month ending? Or am I better off just posting in the last movie I saw thread.

That’s is 100% fine. A few of us kept this thread rolling until almost the end of November one year.

Also, of all the horror films I watched this year, PH, the one I’d oat like your opinion on is Death Laid an Egg (1968). I’m not even sure it’s a horror film. It is, however, very bizarre.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

My partner and I binge watched a few horror movies and shows over the weekend and I just want to share some quick reviews of each. I don't want to give away much of the plot just in case anyone else is interested in checking them out. Here we go!

Creepshow (1982)

Creepshow is a campy horror movie consisting of five vignettes, all with totally different plots. However, I don't think Stephen King and his staff did a great job of explaining the plots of each scenario in the limited time provided. There were some funny and bizarre moments though, especially in the skit that Stephen King is acting in. One of the episodes was based on a short story by King, but the others were written specifically for the movie. I wouldn't recommend this one, unless you loved the second movie or the TV show and want to see how it all started.

Creepshow 2 (1987)

The sequel is much better IMO. This movie is in the same style as the original, but there are only three episodes, which are much more fleshed out. The characters and settings here are quite memorable, and I feel like overall this is a more polished movie, in a good way. Again, Stephen King makes an appearance as an actor, however his cameo is brief but it's hilarious. I would definitely recommend this to horror fans looking for something fun and not too serious!

Trick 'r Treat (2007)

I wasn't aware of this movie earlier, but it came up in a "Best Horror Movies on HBO Max" list that I came across, so we checked it out. The movie is actually not linear, and presents the same night from the perspective of four different characters in the same town. This approach kinda reminded me of the scenario setup in the early Resident Evil games. The movie revolves around a kid named Sam, dressed in an orange pajama suit and a burlap sack over his head, who is out to enforce the rules and traditions of Halloween. The movie definitely has some gory, bizarre, and fun moments.

Poltergeist (1982)

I've heard a bit about Poltergeist over the years but never got around to viewing it, so I'm glad we did. This movie was pretty different than the others we watched, as it's more of a ghost story than something funny and campy or a slasher. It focuses around a suburban family whose home ends up being affected by some type of super natural force. Strange things begin to happen around the home and affect the family. Overall, I thought this movie was really well done and totally nailed what I was in the mood for.

Jacob's Ladder (1990)

This is another movie I heard about years and years ago but never came across the VHS or DVD back in the day. I'm also glad we finally watched this movie, as I thought it to be a pretty unique premises. I believe I read that it was one of the inspirations for the Silent Hill series as well. The plot is centered around a man who was a soldier in Vietnam. Now that he's back home in NY, he seems to be having strange episodes. Sometimes he's living the good life in the suburbs with a wife and kids and at other times he is in a totally different situation in Brooklyn with a girlfriend. It's tough to tell what's real and what's imagined. The movie's quite a psychological trip, an awesome one IMO. Definitely worth a watch!

The Brood (1979)

The Brood was totally off my radar, as I had never heard of it until I saw it in the same list of movies that featured Trick 'r Treat mentioned earlier. But the plot seemed out of the ordinary, which peaked my interest. The Brood is a psychological body horror film directed by David Cronenberg. It's about a couple who recently divorced, and the woman who's had some mental health issues, and is sequestered by a shady psychologist known for some experimental practices and techniques. The couple is in a custody battle over their daughter Candice, who is allowed to visit her mom on certain days at the institute where she's placed. However, there are some very strange things happening at the institute. This movie was great, and is another high recommendation!