Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Michi
Next-Gen

Racketboy Month of Horror 12: 80 Weeks Later

by Michi Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:38 pm

I know it's early again this year, but I also know that people are already preparing, so I figured, "what the hell." So, without further ado, it's almost that time of year again!

Welcome to the Racketboy Month of Horror 12: 80 Weeks Later

As per tradition, this thread will act as a catch-all place for horror movie watching and horror-game playing (as long as it's not directly related to this months Together Retro. Seriously, if it's related to that, go post in that thread instead) and anything else horror related that you wish to talk about during the month of October 2021.

Here's a list of past threads for reference:

dsheinem's MONTH OF HORROR! What horror games will you play? (games)
dsheinem's MONTH OF HORROR 2011! What games are you playing? (games)
noiseredux' month of horror (movies) (movies)
The MONTH OF HORROR 3: Season of the Dream Warriors (games)
noiseredux October horror film spooktacular 2012 (movies)
The Month of Horror PART IV: dsheinem vs. noiseredux (combined games and movies)
Month of Horror V: the Seed of dsheinem & noiseredux (combined games and movies)
noiseredux Presents THE MONTH OF HORROR VI (2015) (remake) (movies)
The 2016 October Horror Marathon (movies)
Spooky time games for spooky times (games)
Month of Horror 8: The Hellworld Gospel Resurrection Legacy
Racketyboy Month of Horror 9: The Axis of Sorta Evil Legacy
Racketboy Month of Horror 10: The Rebootening
Racketboy Month of Horror 11: The Pandemic Edition

What are you planning to watch, play, read and listen to?
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Month of Horror 12: 80 Weeks Later

by Michi Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:40 pm

As for me personally, I shall be curating a list of free-movie-watching found on Tubi TV.

I do not exactly have high hopes for my month, but I hope a couple of them at least turn out to be fun.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:45 pm

I'd highly recommend seeing Science Crazed. This is perhaps the most insane scene in any horror film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF8uPvK7nqk
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:15 pm

Thanks for the thread Michi!

Have you checked out Pluto TV? They have some offerings as well for the fall season.

We recently got a Disney+ subscription, so Hocus Pocus is definitely on the menu. That and some of my favorites from way back, like DuckTales, Frankenweenie, some others.

I just beat Circle of the Moon, so I will likely fire up the Castlevania Double Pack and play Harmony of Dissonance or Aria of Sorrow to keep the spookiness going.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:36 pm

I’ve got to start somewhere…so…Here are short reviews of all the horror films I’ve watched this month!

Only Lovers Left Alive (2014) - Super cool Jim Jarmusch movie about two vampires, played by Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston, who hang out in Detroit talking about music, scoring blood, and being in love. It’s not very scary, but I still thought it was great. (Available for streaming on Amazon Prime.)

The Fly (1958) - More mid-century sci-fi than horror, but still solid. Shockingly, Vincent Price isn’t the villain!

Cam (2018) - Stupendous horror film about a cam girl who loses her digital identity to a doppelgänger. This is probably the best horro film I’ve watched this year, and I can’t recommend it highly enough. (Available for streaming on Netflix.)

Werewolves Within (2021) - Uproariously funny horror comedy - based on a Ubisoft video game! - about a town where one resident is a werewolf and the others keep dying or killing each other. Despite some dodgy monster effects at the end, everything else in the movie works really, really well, and I can’t recommend it highly enough. (Available to rent on Amazon Prime.)

When a Stranger Calls (1979) - A film based on classic “the call is coming from inside the house” stories. A mediocre horror film with a stupendous opening sequence that clearly inspired Wes Craven’s Scream. (Available for streaming on Amazon Prime.)

Uzumaki (2000) - A low-budget, surreal adaptation of Junji Ito’s manga. Plays a bit like a David Lynch film. Consistently entertaining with some gruesome images. The upcoming animated adaptation will be better, but the live action movie is pretty good too. (Available for streaming on Amazon Prime.)

Malignant (2021) - Your mileage may vary with this one. My wife thought it was just OK. With terrible acting, a wild plot, and garish, giallo-inspired visuals, I thought it was one of the most insane big-budget films I’ve seen in years. Director James Wan gets to make whatever he wants, apparently, because otherwise, I don’t see anything like this becomes reality. (Available for streaming on HBOMax.)

Triangle (2009) - A woman and her friends are capsized while sailing and board an abandoned cruise ship. There, they are hunted by a masked killer. The generic set-up masks a remarkably deep, fun, and original movie that I also very heartily recommend. (Available for streaming on Kanopy.)

Lair of the White Worm (1988) - A British horror-comedy based on Bram Stoker’s worst novel, but starring a young Peter Capaldi and Hugh Grant. Occasionally funny, and occasionally surreal. Never really that great, though. (Available for streaming on Amazon Prime.)

…..

prfsnl_gmr’s Horror Movie Month Pre-Gaming…of Death!
The Fly (1958) - :|
Cam (2018) - :D
Werewolves Within (2021) - :D
When a Stranger Calls (1979) - :|
Uzumaki (2000) - :)
Malignant (2021) - :)
Triangle (2009) - :)
Lair of the White Worm (1988) - :(
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:05 am

Blu wrote:Have you checked out Pluto TV? They have some offerings as well for the fall season.

I like to have Pluto on in the background a lot to watch Rifftrax and MST3K, but I do check out their horror movie offerings from time to time. I'll have to see what they've put up since last I checked.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I’ve got to start somewhere…so…Here are short reviews of all the horror films I’ve watched this month!

Ah! So much good stuff! I'll have to add a couple of those to my watchlist. I didn't realize Uzumaki was on Prime.

And I agree with you about When A Stranger Calls. I love the first few minutes, but then all the sweet tension takes a nosedive and implodes upon itself and never recovers. Still worth it for that first scene though.

Have you seen the remake? It's a really solid little thriller that extends that first scene into a full film. It's not perfect, but I really enjoyed it. I think it might still be available on Pluto.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:41 am

I haven’t! If you say it’s good, then I’ll give it a shot. (I remember people hating it when it was released, but I think it’s been redeemed a bit since then.) It’s also available for streaming on Amazon, I think; so, accessing it shouldn’t be a problem.

Also…do you have Kanopy? We get it for free with our library cards, and it has a ton of great movies. The horror selection is particularly impressive, with some offerings not available anywhere else (e.g., Lucio Fulci’s The Psychic). It only permits you to watch six videos a month, but that’s not too bad for a free (and ad-free) service!
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:57 am

Annual reminder to watch the legendary horror film Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning :P
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:18 pm

Here's a list of what I consider essential horror films. I'll put them in tiers by rating but other than that in no order. I didn't include the horror films I've given 7/10 to (find them great) because the list would be too long, unless someone wants it of course.

5/5

The Lighthouse (2019)
Phase IV (1974)
Psycho (1960)
The Thing (1982)
The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (2012)

4.5/5

Alien (1979)
La chute de la maison Usher [The Fall of the House of Usher] (1928)
Eraserhead (1977)
Ganja & Hess (1973)
Messiah of Evil (1973)
Outer Space (1999)
Panna a netvor [Beauty and the Beast] (1978)
Schalcken the Painter (1979)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
Tras el cristal [In a Glass Cage] (1987)
The Unknown (1927)
Les yeux sans visage [Eyes Without a Face] (1960)
Вий [Viy] (1967)
Господин оформитель [Mister Designer] (1988)
怪談 [Kwaidan] (1964)
魔 [The Boxer's Omen] (1983)

4/5

ハウス [House] (1977)
The Beast of Yucca Flats (1961)
Bloodstone: Subspecies II (1993)
Bone Tomahawk (2015)
Braindead [Dead Alive] (1992)
The Carrier (1988)
Il caso Valdemar (1936)
Dellamorte Dellamore [Cemetery Man] (1994)
Dementia (1955)
Il demonio [The Demon] (1963)
Docteur Jekyll et les femmes [Dr. Jekyll and His Women] (1981)
Dracula (1958)
Evil Dead II (1987)
The Exorcist (1973)
Fatal Exposure (1989)
Frankenstein (1931)
La frusta e il corpo [The Whip and the Body] (1963)
The Happening (2008)
Hereditary (2018)
The Hidden (1987)
House on Haunted Hill (1959)
L' inferno [Dante's Inferno] (1911)
Inland Empire (2006)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
The Invisible Man (1933)
Island of Lost Souls (1932)
I Walked With a Zombie (1943)
The Love Witch (2016)
Mad Love [The Hands of Orlac] (1935)
Maniac (1980)
Mutilations (1986)
Necronomicon - Geträumte Sünden [Succubus] (1968)
Night of the Demon (1957)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Ogroff (1983)
Operazione paura [Kill, Baby, Kill] (1966)
Parents (1989)
Poslední lup [The Last Theft] (1987)
Psycho II (1983)
Queen of the Damned (2002)
Les raisins de la mort [The Grapes of Death] (1978)
Ravenous (1999)
Repulsion (1965)
Requiem pour un vampire [Requiem for a Vampire] (1972)
Scanners III: The Takeover (1992)
Science Crazed (1989)
The Seventh Victim (1943)
The Shining (1980)
Strait-Jacket (1964)
The Tingler (1959)
Un tranquillo posto di campagna [A Quiet Place in the Country] (1968)
Trouble Every Day (2001)
Valkoinen peura [The White Reindeer] (1952)
Videodrome (1983)
La vie nouvelle [A New Life] (2002)
Whistle and I'll Come to You (1968)
Winterbeast (1991)
Witchfinder General (1968)
Паук [The Spider] (1991)
愛殺 [Love Massacre] (1981)

EDIT: I'm planning on watching the rest of the Subspecies series. The second part is phenomenal. The acting is terrible but I've seen worse acting in Italian horror films and no one complains about those.

I'm going to make 4 videos on horror games, beaten 3 of them already. I'll probably link them in my thread. It's going to be: Alien Invasion, Vampire Diaries, Creature Crunch, and Gothos (this will be a very special video).
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:52 pm

I’m glad to see you also enjoyed The Love Witch, PH! Michi and I are also fans.

…..

Tonight’s film was Nightbooks (2021). In it, a young man obsessed with horror is captured by a witch. She keeps him alive on the condition that he write her a new horror story every night. Along with a fellow captive, a young woman kidnapped three years earlier, he attempts to escape the witch’s apartment. Krysten Ritter is delightful as the witch, and her outfits are FABULOUS. Moreover, Sam Raimi produced the film, and his influence on it are obvious, with a few scenes calling back to The Evil Dead and Drag Me to Hell. (Look out, Ack! One scene even calls back to the eye trauma scene from the 2013 Evil Dead remake!) Rated PG, the film is certainly aimed at a younger audience, but unlike some children’s horror films, it isn’t pandering. Moreover, it isn’t afraid to be scary, and some scenes (including the threatened eye-trauma mentioned earlier) might be too much for some younger viewers. I found it refreshing, though, and my children also enjoyed it, ven if they weren’t quite as enthusiastic as me! (Available for streaming on Netflix.)

prfsnl_gmr’s Horror Movie Month Pre-Gaming…of Death!
The Fly (1958) - :|
Cam (2018) - :D
Werewolves Within (2021) - :D
When a Stranger Calls (1979) - :|
Uzumaki (2000) - :)
Malignant (2021) - :)
Triangle (2009) - :)
Lair of the White Worm (1988) - :(
Nightbooks (2021) - :)
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever