Anyone know the used manga scene well?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Anyone know the used manga scene well?

Post by marurun »

I’m trying to figure out why one particular volume of US-released manga is so expensive. It’s an out-of-print title, but so is the volume before and the volume after, but the one I need is comparatively quite expensive and I have no clue why. Anyone know the manga scene well enough to help me figure this out? It’s Oh My Goddess 37, from Dark Horse. I have all the volumes before it but I can’t advance in the series. I’m stalled as a collector.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Re: Anyone know the used manga scene well?

Post by CFFJR »

Other than the used manga market being out of control in general right now (with no sign of slowing down), there probably isn't a hard reason for that volume specifically being expensive. Like american comics, sometimes key story moments can make put a volume in higher demand, but the most likely scenario is that this particular volume just had a low print run.

My understanding is that print runs for individual volumes can change as a series progresses based on the sales of the previous release. Speculating here, but maybe 36 didn't sell so hot originally, so Dark Horse just produced fewer copies for 37.

For the sake of example I have every volume of Bokurano, except number 5. The series was published several years ago, but 5 is the only one that has gone out of print, and people charge 150-200 bucks for it, which is freaking outrageous. I sucked it up and bought that one digitally just so I could read the story, and that's that.

It sucks, I know. I don't know if you've been looking outside of ebay, but if you haven't already you might check out some manga sales groups on Facebook or Reddit.

I would recommend picking up the subsequent volumes in the meantime though, in case another one gets pricey.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Anyone know the used manga scene well?

Post by Nemoide »

The manga scene is in a bit of chaos these days even with still in-print titles. Reprints now take several months which means that certain newly released titles can be really hard to find. I feel like some of the ridiculous pricing comes from stores that are run more by AI than humans and sellers who are happy to hold onto something for a few years at an increased profit rather than sell it quickly. Frankly there's just a lot of unpredictable wackiness.

I recently spent a good amount of time trying to track down a quasi-affordable copy of a volume of the manga Path of the Assassin: I ended up getting it by setting an ebay saved search and eventually it turned up for a price I was willing to pay but it was still really expensive (around $70 with two other volumes I needed and one I didn't). You might have luck by looking up any comic shops within an area you might be willing to drive to and calling them to see if they happen to have it. Other than that, it'll mostly be luck!