Daft Punk is splitsville

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Daft Punk is splitsville

Post by marurun »

Welp, after 28 years Daft Punk is done. They've hung up their helmets.

https://pitchfork.com/news/daft-punk-call-it-quits/

I wonder if Thomas Bangalter's tinnitus returned in force.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Daft Punk is splitsville

Post by Anapan »

That's too bad. They're one of my favorite bands.
Here's a remade version of Technologic I found the other day made from footage from one of their art installations in Paris in 2019.
https://youtu.be/iqmTWg0z9v0
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Dam I would have never guessed 28 years but the older I get, I'm getting more clueless on pop culture lol.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

While it is horrible news, it was expected after Bangalter kept having hearing issues. Luckily we just got a downfeed of their 07 concert in Chicago.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I can understand, but disappointing.
I was hoping they would be involved in the TRON 3 soundtrack -- maybe they have some work into already?
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

racketboy wrote:I can understand, but disappointing.
I was hoping they would be involved in the TRON 3 soundtrack -- maybe they have some work into already?

That was the first thing I thought about too. If they can't do it, my vote is going to Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. Their HBO Watchmen soundtrack was great.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

I think there is still a chance of one more album- coming very soon, if at all. Something about the farewell video feels off for Daft Punk.

That being said, completely devastated by the news- I've been a huge fan since I was in like 3rd grade. I remember excitedly sneaking a headphone in my ear in 8th grade science class to listen to the RAM early on itunes. I've never been so excited for an album since then, and I doubt I will be again, unless they reunite.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
marurun

Post by marurun »

SamuraiMegas wrote:I think there is still a chance of one more album- coming very soon, if at all. Something about the farewell video feels off for Daft Punk.

Now that I know Bangalter has wrestled with severe tinnitus and hearing problems, it makes a great deal of sense for them to split. It's not that they don't get along, it's that one of them simply cannot do this any longer. I suspect Homem-Christo will continue making music, and I wouldn't rule out Bangalter periodically making more music as well, but with them not being equally able to participate ending Daft Punk is probably appropriate. The video actually seems to represent that situation pretty well.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

marurun wrote:
SamuraiMegas wrote:I think there is still a chance of one more album- coming very soon, if at all. Something about the farewell video feels off for Daft Punk.

Now that I know Bangalter has wrestled with severe tinnitus and hearing problems, it makes a great deal of sense for them to split. It's not that they don't get along, it's that one of them simply cannot do this any longer. I suspect Homem-Christo will continue making music, and I wouldn't rule out Bangalter periodically making more music as well, but with them not being equally able to participate ending Daft Punk is probably appropriate. The video actually seems to represent that situation pretty well.

Yeah, the video was cut from their film Electroma- it actually ends with both of the robots killing themselves, not just Thomas exploding. Guy-Man sets himself on fire after Thomas explodes- so I think the way they cut the movie lends credence to the fact that Thomas is done, but Guy is not.

I actually think if they release a new album it would be something closer to Musique Vol 1- but with old, unreleased tracks or alternate versions or something. If I remember correctly, there was supposed to be a RAM remix album and that never happened. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a ton of RAM stuff they are still sitting on- they gave Kanye the drums for Black Skinhead, which came from RAM sessions, for example. There's some other stuff like that Jay Z track, or Aerodynamic Beats that never actually released, and it would be amazing to get a compilation of stuff that never got put onto an album but still sounded good.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

bmoc wrote:
racketboy wrote:I can understand, but disappointing.

That was the first thing I thought about too. If they can't do it, my vote is going to Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. Their HBO Watchmen soundtrack was great.

Excellent option -- it would be interesting to see if they could match the TRON vibe. I was also impressed with their work on Soul. Nice to see some extra diversity from them.