Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: Making a movie collection catalog in Excel

by PretentiousHipster Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:09 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:How's the RateYourMusic movie database looking these days? I'm not a big movie guy so I've only used the site to catalog music.

I find it to be just as good as the music tbh.

They are starting to do an open beta soon of glitchwave, the video game version, but the database and so damn empty now.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:14 pm

marurun wrote:Have you thought of using an existing solution like Eric’s Movie Database?

https://www.emdb.eu/index.html

I have, but I'm really hesitant to. The main reason being that if the system I invest in one day goes away then I'd have to rebuilt my catalog elsewhere. Online services can disappear just like that. I mentioned Filmogs in my first post, a sister site of Discogs that focused on films. Good thing I didn't start building my collection there because it's gone now. Even an app that you download isn't guaranteed to last forever. Perhaps it will be abandoned and not work on a future OS. In the case of Eric's Movie Database, it relies on Internet Explorer to grab the info from online databases. I know MS is keeping IE in Win10 for compatibility, but how much longer do we expect that to last? So if IE disappears from the OS and Eric no longer updates his app, then you're screwed.

In contrast to that, I'll always be able to use an Excel spreadsheet. And there's a number of things I can do with it. I can upload it to my Office 365 cloud and access it anywhere, or Google docs and check it on my phone. I can export to CSV or TXT and then import it to any number of things in the future. It's pretty much future-proof. And Excel is powerful enough that I can get what I want out of it, feature-wise.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
tuf_ryda

by tuf_ryda Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:21 pm

Hello, great thread. I'm also looking to do this. I downloaded the dataset file "title.basics.tsv.gz" which was in gz format. I unzipped it to get the tsv file. Then opened it in Excel. But I get a notification that it exceeds Excels grid (over 1 million rows). I read that you removed the shorts and tv shows. But when I do that it just leaves blank cells at the bottom, ie. the missing data doesn't populate. How did you manage to remove the shorts and tv shows to get the FULL list of movies?
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:11 pm

Hey! This was a year and a half ago, but if I recall correctly I was able to load the TSV in notepad and delete the unneeded rows that way. After that, I was able to load it in Excel without the error message.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever