What you think of large displays on phones?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: What you think of large displays on phones?

Post by RCBH928 »

Anapan wrote:The damage is done, I prefer a larger screen. I am already used to carrying tons of crap and have larger pockets than most. That's a good topic, I request permission to bump it :)
fixed picture link for those interested in what was in my jacket pockets in 2012.

Whats that small keyboard with touchpad, seems interesting.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Ask me for a roundup of every one I own. I have nearly all if them.
That is a 2.4 Ghz keyboard - touchpad combo from Ipazzport - very early model without branding - one of their originals. It has a laser button on the side and the touchpad is very responsive but only single touch in that one. No scroll zone or multitouch scrolling. All keys are tactile click - even the directional rockers. All very satisfying to thumb-type on.
Link to the latest model
It has been cloned by Rii and multiple off-brands and comes in laser enabled off the side or nerfed variety. Build quality seems the same over any supplier - the weak point is the power switch - it can pop out and require a toothpick or tweezer to power it on or off. Love it's portability and battery life. I still include one as the emergency keyboard on my custom arcade cabs in the cubby box because of the price and quality while still being so small.
My brother still has that one and its battery is still fine for weeks without a charge.
If you want that same one for price or the model number I'd be happy to hook you up when I'm home next week. My experience with the clones has been good, but there's so many clones that I'd be cautious when buying similar looking hardware.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Is it bluetooth? Whats the laser pointer for? I could use something like this. Currently I am using a full keyboard.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

RCBH928 wrote:@Note

I don't even get people who opt for iPad Pros for work. If they get something like the Macbook Air or Surface, its just as portable and is a full fledged computer. I can only see it for people who actually use a stylus.

I highly encourage you to get the SE2 if you are looking to keep the same design. I got it over iphone 7 and it feels like the same phone with a supercharger installed. You also save at least $300 over the 12 mini.

Appreciate the tip on the SE 2. I purchased my SE refurbished about three years ago and it's still working fine. Eventually I'll need to upgrade though, so I'll have to check if I can track down an SE2 model for my carrier (Sprint). I've never been up to date with my phones, so I don't mind a model that's a few years older.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

It is not Bluetooth enabled. It has a 2.4 ghz wireless dongle that slides out. You could use a HID Bluetooth relay to make it (or any usb keyboard or mouse) into Bluetooth. I have the Handheld Scientific BT-500, tho it's cheaper to make your own.
The laser pointer is for presentations I think, tho I have only used it to entertain cats.

Rii makes a clone that is Bluetooth instead of 2.4 ghz, tho I haven't tried it. The keys look like they might be mushy rather than clicky. A very similar one that I have purchased is the Fosmon Mini keyboard and I can vouch for its quality and compatability.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Whatever happen to that phone with the folding screen? I know it was crazy expensive because it was new tech, but is that going to gain any traction?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

My cell phone is shut off for 50% of each day and I make most of my calls from my landline. I prefer a tiny cellphone I can transport easily and I prefer to do internet surfing, gaming, etc. on other devices.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Linus from Linus Tech Tips did a pretty thorough review of the Galaxy Folds. He seemed to really like the new $2k one, but it looked crap to me. They fixed a lot about it since the first model that had a bad screen contrast in sunlight, delaminated easily and had a weak hinge but there is still a definite crease down the center and most apps aren't made for a square screen.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:Whatever happen to that phone with the folding screen? I know it was crazy expensive because it was new tech, but is that going to gain any traction?

I hate products sold on novelty. When I was younger I thought that stuff was amazing, now I learned this stuff is released just to be sold but in reality its not functional. I am not sure if companies even make money on it or they just make it to create publicity for themselves.

There was a better implementation that had dual screen phone, its akin to having a computer with dual display.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

You would be surprised how many people out there just use a phone instead of a computer. Last year I setup a couple thousand folks for work for home and I would say about 1 in 10 did not have another device other than a phone. Atleast half did not have a computer at all and just a phone and a tablet.

Personally I would be ok with a flipphone since I use my phone for internet browsing so rarely it is mostly a waste, but a flipphone with a good camera does not exist. I am a special use case though, I work for multiple carriers so I am rarely far away from the internet or my work iphone. That said, I will still likely upgrade to an S10e this year due to Dex.