Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Bluetooth speakers for podcasts

by RCBH928 Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:47 am

Any body understands sound? I bought JBL 4 bluetooth speaker but I use it to listen to podcasts more than music and I believe it has what it is called "bass" which should give better music(!?) sound but makes speech not as legible as I would like. It is also STEREO would mono speaker work better? any suggestions?
marurun

Re: Bluetooth speakers for podcasts

by marurun Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:57 pm

Most sound systems that put emphasis on bass hurt spoken audio works. If the speaker system has any sound options, try turning up the mid- and upper mid-range a bit, or adjust the tone more to the treble side. Your phone may also have some equalization settings on audio output. Get properties on the podcast episode or audio file and try checking to see if you can adjust the audio. There may be a Spoken Word or Podcast option.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:23 pm

I will check for that, any idea of any bluetooth speakers that don't put emphasis on bass?
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:09 pm

You have an iphone, right? under settings -> music ->EQ you may be able to find one that drops mid and bass tones. I think you can install equalizer apps on an iphone, too, or install an alternate audio plyer with equalizer adjustments built-in.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:42 pm

Anapan wrote:You have an iphone, right? under settings -> music ->EQ you may be able to find one that drops mid and bass tones. I think you can install equalizer apps on an iphone, too, or install an alternate audio plyer with equalizer adjustments built-in.

Yes Indeed, I just checked it and it has only presets and was set on Bass Reducer already. There are others which I have no idea what they do like "Treble Booster" but there is "Vocal Booster" and "Spoken Words" and maybe OFF works better?!

Does this work system wide or just the Apple Music app? Thanks for this!!
marurun

by marurun Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:49 pm

I don’t think the equalizer settings work for things that aren’t headphones, but I could be wrong.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:56 pm

I don't know if the EQ is systemwide or only for certain apps and audio devices, but switching through the presets while playing something should produce an audible difference.
Playing audio through a different app with it's own equalizer will definitely affect the output of everything. Unfortunately, I don't know of a good free one.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:16 pm

Anapan wrote:I don't know if the EQ is systemwide or only for certain apps and audio devices, but switching through the presets while playing something should produce an audible difference.
Playing audio through a different app with it's own equalizer will definitely affect the output of everything. Unfortunately, I don't know of a good free one.

I just tried it on my phone using Audible(Amazon) app and it has no effect sadly, but that was a really good attempt I appreciate it. Maybe it has an effect if I use the bluetooth speaker as the output, it might be treated as an "earpod" as @Marurun mentioned.

thanks guys!
marurun

by marurun Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:53 pm

RCBH928 wrote:
Anapan wrote:I don't know if the EQ is systemwide or only for certain apps and audio devices, but switching through the presets while playing something should produce an audible difference.

I just tried it on my phone using Audible(Amazon) app and it has no effect sadly, but that was a really good attempt I appreciate it. Maybe it has an effect if I use the bluetooth speaker as the output, it might be treated as an "earpod" as @Marurun mentioned.

thanks guys!

It also, I think, only affects audio output from Apple's audio apps, so Music and Podcasts. Apple's equalizer does not affect audio output from other apps.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever