Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: Opinions on South Park

by Ack Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:11 am

RCBH928 wrote:I just saw the one about China recently, and they had so many Disney characters in this show that I just don't know how they are not getting sued. There was a guy on YT that had his video pulled because he created a satire of Bugs Bunny meanwhile these are airing on cable.

To address this for a moment, that's because both of these situations are protected by Fair Use, which allows for satire and parody of copyrighted material. The difference here is that YouTube offers next to no protection for creators and will generally pull anything if asked regardless of legal justification. I've even seen copyright claims on music in Star Wars video games.

But to go after South Park would mean going after Comedy Central, which means going after Viacom. Viacom has the money and lawyers to take a copyright case to court and drag it out for the long haul. It's not worth trying to sue South Park as a result, even for major media companies like Disney, because odds are you just end up with a situation where everybody loses over a long period of time.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:43 pm

Hmmm...sounds a bit dystopian where only the one with money can get his legal rights, and the poor man gets stepped over but this is not a topic for this discussion. I am usually ok with parodies but if I was Disney I would be upset to see Mickey Mouse portrayed as smoking weed on tv...
Golgo 14
64-bit

by Golgo 14 Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:37 pm

You think you're gonna age like Tom Cruise? glwts
Inazuma wrote:Nah, I never found any good velcro shoes.
NotLuke
16-bit

by NotLuke Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:29 am

Tom Cruise wears Tom Cruise brand magical de-aging varnish, so he doesn't count. Matt and Trey have aged just fine.

The history of South Park is amazing, the show can be spectacular, and holy crap does it make me feel old.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever