Looking for Documentary recommendations

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Looking for Documentary recommendations

Post by stickem »

Anybody watching the docuseries, high score, on netflix (probably a stupid question lol). Some is just rehashing to me, but alot I never knew. Some good stories. It's really well done and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm on the sega genesis episode now.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

stickem wrote:Anybody watching the docuseries, high score, on netflix (probably a stupid question lol). Some is just rehashing to me, but alot I never knew. Some good stories. It's really well done and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm on the sega genesis episode now.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to check it out. I might have stumbled across it and added it to my list already, but if I did I have no memory of it and thanks for reminding me! :lol:
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I always like hearing how fun it must have been to work at atari but I wouldn't have gotten any work done, at all.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I know the guys (Power Glove) who did the intro soundtrack to High Score. If you dig the music be sure to look them up.
Ack

Post by Ack »

emwearz wrote:I know the guys (Power Glove) who did the intro soundtrack to High Score. If you dig the music be sure to look them up.

Didn't they also do the soundtrack for Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon? I really enjoy their work.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Ken Burns is the king of 90s documentaries. The style has changed, but he keeps putting things out in the same format. If you like it it is awesome. I actually took some time after watching his Civil War series to travel to all the points near where I live that were mentioned.

But for Documentaries I dont think anyone will recommend:
- Ansel Adams: A documentary film - about one of the best landscape photographers to ever live
- The Camera that Changed the World - about the Eclair camera, which changed film making worldwide.
- Microcosmos - documentary about the lifestyles of insects.
- Spielberg - about his early years
- Visions of Light - About Cinematography and how it has evolved.
- Film Worker - About Leon Vitali who stopped being an actor to help Stanley Kubrick.

And if you want more of a narrative documentaries:
Qatsi series, Samasara/Bakara, and Chronos - about the balance of the world
Russian Ark - Abbreviated history of Russian Royalty through the Winter Palace, in one shot, with 3000 actors. It is incredible.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Ack wrote:
emwearz wrote:I know the guys (Power Glove) who did the intro soundtrack to High Score. If you dig the music be sure to look them up.

Didn't they also do the soundtrack for Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon? I really enjoy their work.

That's right! They also did the Trials Blood Dragon (bad game, good soundtrack).
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

AT&T: The Unix System
https://youtu.be/tc4ROCJYbm0

I am a sucker for this kind of thing. I love how they explain things simply as if the computer is an appliance for the average man like an oven or a VCR. I am not sure if these people realize how much of geniuses they are including the guy who casually mentions he created the C language.

Its amazing that this very OS is the one now running the internet, near all smartphones, iPads, SBCs, MacOS, and I don’t know what else! Not sure if its because Unix was such a magnificent design that it was hard to outperform or because it was whats available and to maintain compatibility instead of starting from scratch.

I know Linux and OpenBSD are not UNIX, but my understanding they are created to mimic the Unix system workflow/design. Basically Unix without using the Unix source code.