New Active Users Record for Forum?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
racketboy
Site Admin

New Active Users Record for Forum?

Post by racketboy »

I just saw this in the footer:
Most users ever online was 598 on 15 Jan 2020 10:46 am

I'm curious what happened then.... I always remember the records being from years ago...
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: New Active Users Record for Forum?

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I noticed this happening on the other forums I go on. I think they might be search engine bots.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I know we routinely have search bots as they identify themselves, but it seems weird that there would be multiple hundreds of bots that identify themselves differently....
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I can’t come up with anything significant in the world of retro gaming that happened on Jan 15, 2020.

I’m going to speculate that there’s a glitch. Like maybe your software is calculating the most active users the wrong way after some software update or another.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

samsonlonghair wrote:I can’t come up with anything significant in the world of retro gaming that happened on Jan 15, 2020.

I’m going to speculate that there’s a glitch. Like maybe your software is calculating the most active users the wrong way after some software update or another.

While there may be some aspect of your theory that is true, but haven't had a forum software update in quite a while
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Did the site / forum get link on a big site that day? That’d be enough to bring over 500 or so
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

retrosportsgamer wrote:Did the site / forum get link on a big site that day? That’d be enough to bring over 500 or so

Good idea, but January 15th was actually a bit on the slower end of average according to Google Analytics with only 2251 page views under the /forum directory.
Maybe it was some kinda bug.