Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

by Jagosaurus Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:17 pm

Feel better Ziggy! Rest brother! I know a guy who was almost out of the weeds but pushed it too hard, too early & he relapsed hard. Take it easy.

Yeah... I'm not anti-vaccine at all... typically get a flu shot, but won't be touching a vaccine rushed through trials... on a highly likely lab-made virus now with multiple strains... count me out there. Not political... serious question... will you all get it?

Maybe my view is skewed bc I'm certain I've been exposed... Likely multiple times.
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:15 am

Yes. I will get the vaccine, and I will continue isolating and mask-wearing until the virus is largely eradicated.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:48 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Yes. I will get the vaccine, and I will continue isolating and mask-wearing until the virus is largely eradicated.

Same, and I'm wearing a mask to work until they tell me to stop ^^;
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:43 am

opa wrote:Hope you get to feeling better!

Jagosaurus wrote:Feel better Ziggy! Rest brother! I know a guy who was almost out of the weeds but pushed it too hard, too early & he relapsed hard. Take it easy.

Thanks. I actually have been feel a lot better each day. My 10 days of isolation was over yesterday. Still, I'm going to take it easy for a while just in case of a relapse.

My Sale Thread - PRICES REDUCED! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
marurun

by marurun Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:38 am

I will absolutely be getting the vaccine. They were developed quickly but the testing has been, by all accounts, quite thorough. In fact, based on the data so far many are suggesting this may be how we develop new vaccines from now on.

Honestly, there’s nothing particularly new about this coronavirus. Viruses mutate and jump species all the time. We were overdue for a big pandemic like this. That’s why the previous administration had a detailed plan for dealing with such an event. The Ebola outbreaks in parts of Africa were pretty scary and nobody wanted the US to have to face a situation like that. However...

“The best-laid schemes of mice and men
Go oft awry.”

And here we are. The world is a lot smaller than it used to be and people get around: a lot, and quite fast.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:43 am

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:Yes. I will get the vaccine, and I will continue isolating and mask-wearing until the virus is largely eradicated.

Same, and I'm wearing a mask to work until they tell me to stop ^^;

Honestly, it's nice to not worry about getting sick because besides coronavirus, all the other viruses are kept at bay, too.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:58 am

The worst reported side effects (to my knowledge) of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are soreness at the injection site, fatigue, headache, and fever. Typical flu shot stuff really. I'll gladly take that over potential complications and long term effects from COVID-19.
marurun

by marurun Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:21 am

bmoc wrote:I'll gladly take that over potential complications and long term effects from COVID-19.

Yeah, a lot of folks are talking about the now somewhat lower death rate as if the permanent cardiovascular damage many experience or the folks who now seem to be living with something like chronic fatigue syndrome don't count as serious consequences of COVID.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:04 am

marurun wrote:
bmoc wrote:I'll gladly take that over potential complications and long term effects from COVID-19.

Yeah, a lot of folks are talking about the now somewhat lower death rate as if the permanent cardiovascular damage many experience or the folks who now seem to be living with something like chronic fatigue syndrome don't count as serious consequences of COVID.

Right. This happens a lot, apparently, but we are (rightfully) focused on deaths at the moment. Once the pandemic subsides, I suspect we’ll here more about this.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:30 pm

So repeating from my Epidemiology classes 10+ years ago. Not an expert at all, but part of the reason vaccine trials are long is because fertility and In Utero effects take a long time to determine. That piece alone is usually years. This includes study of impacts on both male and female haploid reproductive cells. Most people on this forum are in child baring years so like anything else in life, research up and make informed decisions whatever you decide.

Above not to be confused with general anti-vax statements around disabilities. Google Dr. Andrew Wakefield losing his medical license due to false claims there if interested. He was the initial medical champion of those claims. Interesting read...

I need to refresh myself on the details of the Small Pox vaccine all of our parents took in the 70s... but in short they had been experimenting since the 1700s with cowpox strains giving humans less severe cases. A form of vaccine was also released in WW1. Pretty cool story if you don't know it.

I think think as far as a worldwide vaccine... SmallPox was essentially eradicated & they were developing it for 60+ years. Medicine has come a long way of course, but reducing years to 9 months scares me a bit...

Effectiveness of multiple strains or mutations over time will be interesting.
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever