Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

by Jagosaurus Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:05 pm

Safe travels Anapan.

emz, appreciate the grocery work. All the store workers I've interfaced with have been extremely polite but exhausted.

Nemoide wrote:I got my test results already and it's negative! I'm going to continue practicing social distancing, but will go do laundry and buy more food later.

Be careful brother. Your immune system is already going to be down. That makes your more susceptible. Keep in mind the Type B flu is also still circulating in this mess. My son had strep throat last week too.

My Retro Achievements Profile - RetroArch
My RB Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:07 pm

Nemoide wrote:I got my test results already and it's negative! I'm going to continue practicing social distancing, but will go do laundry and buy more food later.

Glad to hear it. Rest up and get better!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:23 pm

I just got the news. My ex was rushed to the ER Tuesday night. She's an asthmatic cancer survivor with only one lung, so a respiratory virus is life-threatening to her. A chest x-ray showed that her single lung was full of fluid. Things are looking grim. The test results still haven't come back, so she's not counted as a "confirmed case" yet.
Ack

by Ack Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:16 pm

Damn, Samson.

I was supposed to be moving to LA in a week or so, but now my movie is on indefinite hold. I have been told I am to relocate a month after we are allowed back in the office...but no word when that will be. Even senior leadership doesn't know how long we'll all be working from home.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

by PretentiousHipster Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:10 pm

Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:15 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pkew4g/gamestop-instructs-employees-ignore-law-enforcement-not-shut-down-coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR29-r11BMnvPXkC0ZCYx8ZIIiVK77_QQ-p3u5zQNxcCa5GKgICosYUx5YI

I know people who work in CEX, which looks like a pawn shop but smells like a Smash Bros tournament, and not only are they still doing massive buy-ins of DVDs/Blu-rays/games with no time to clean or quarantine the items (literally in some cases hundreds of items at a time) but they have jacked up the prices of PS4s and Switches three times this week by as much as 25% a time to very suspiciously coincide with the schools closing from tomorrow. They have passed it off as current demand, like when an iPhone releases, but my mates say it hasn't been that busy, quiet even, so it's pretty scummy.
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

by PretentiousHipster Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:51 pm

SuperDerpBro
128-bit

by SuperDerpBro Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:53 am

Haha
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:32 am

Made it home without much contact with anyone, hands covered in alcohol gel, and playing SotN on android (this port is very buggy). The first flight was packed, but it was almost all my co-workers, none of which have any contact with anyone - symptom wise we seem to be OK.
The connecting flight was eerily empty and delayed by 1/2 an hour for disinfection. One thing I noticed was that every crevice of the plastic of the planes I was on were actually clean! Like the indents and textures of the surfaces usually filled with black greasy garbage were grey and squeaky clean. I'm gonna give it a few days of heavy drinking for antiviral reasons (back from a high security dry camp) before I visit grandma and all, but the cleanliness makes me think I made it okay.

@ samsonlonghair: that's so sad to hear. I just found out one of my union brothers lost a loved one to this as-well. Many of my co-workers are all afraid to rejoin their family right away after being discharged from work with no way to know if they might infect someone they love.
[●_●][●_●][●_●] NO REFUGE ■
[●_●][●_●][ᗒᗜᗕ] BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...
marurun

by marurun Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:14 am

Hey all. Time for a status update with some predictive data. Slashdot has a piece with some useful links. Here's the Slashdot article link.

And here's a bit of info from one Jeremy C. Young, linked in the Slashdot piece, on what the report from the UK's Imperial College says would happen in the US if we basically do nothing and treat this just like the flu (for those of you so-inclined to think this is just like the flu).

80% of Americans would get the disease. 0.9% of them would die. Between 4 and 8 percent of all Americans over the age of 70 would die. 2.2 million Americans would die from the virus itself. It gets worse. People with severe COVID-19 need to be put on ventilators. 50% of those on ventilators still die, but the other 50% live. But in an unmitigated epidemic, the need for ventilators would be 30 times the number available in the US. Nearly 100% of these patients die.

So the actual death toll from the virus would be closer to 4 million Americans -- in a span of 3 months. 8-15% of all Americans over 70 would die. How many is 4 million people? It's more Americans than have died all at once from anything, ever. It's the population of Los Angeles. It's 4 times the number of Americans who died in the Civil War...on both sides combined. It's two-thirds as many people as died in the Holocaust. Americans make up 4.4% of the world's population. If we extrapolate these numbers to the rest of the world (warning: MOE is high here), this gives us 90 million deaths globally from COVID-19, in 3-6 months. 15 Holocausts. 1.5 times as many people as died in all of World War II.

Now, thankfully, many states ARE doing something, but that means our national response isn't remotely uniform, creating situations where some areas will do better and some will do much worse, and that also means there will be great risk as people move around between parts of the country.

So if you can at all do so, please stay home and self-isolate, for everyone.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever