Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

by SamuraiMegas Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:16 pm

I work at a vapeshop 6 days a week in the DFW area (well, a small town near Dallas). Currently the public schools in my town have shut down, as a HS teacher's son was found positive for the virus, and the teacher was teaching for several days while her kid was sick...she didn't know he had the virus at the time but fuck.
I'm still working a shit load, and I'm pretty anxious about the shop closing. It's a local business and if we lose customers because of this and still have to pay rent, I might temporarily be out of a job, or the shop might end up full on closing. I have bills to pay now, and I DO NOT want to get a low paying retail job in this current environment. My girlfriend is currently jobless and I think I might push for her to stay that way as she's been working at her dad's computer shop doing small tasks and doordashing for extra cash. Long as she can make around 500$ a month doing odd jobs she'll be fine.

My community college extended spring break for a week and moved classes online. So far that's the biggest impact the virus has had on me. I've been so busy trying to move into the apartment and I worked every day for 2 weeks straight, on top of finals (8wk course) it's been one of the most stressful times in my life besides when actual traumatic stuff was happening. Yesterday was the first time I spent all day at the apartment and we've been there over a week. Also completely stopped spending money on things not directly needed on the apartment and food.
and maybe bought a little weed to make being quarantined more enjoyable

We have a shelf for our projector coming in Saturday and animal crossing comes out Friday. Long as I can get both of those things in, we'll be set for quarantine.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

by PretentiousHipster Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:28 pm

Taking public transpo is nerve-wracking for me even if it's a lot emptier. The front 1/3rd of the bus is cut off too except for people with baby carriages or wheelchairs to protect the bus drivers. Since I take the most common routes it's probably only a matter of time before I get it. I did have some cold symptoms but still went to work because it will be unpaid sick leave. I do work in a retirement home so it is a huge risk, and I'm sure every other employee there is lying too.

Fortunately Canada is implementing something starting in April. If you gotta take time off due to self-isolation, quarantine, or taking care of someone who has the virus, then you will get $450 a week. It is a bit lower than minimum wage here, but it is not a huge loss for minimum wage workers. It's funny. That's actually more than I make so I could cheat, make up that I'm too sick and then get paid for this, but I am way too honest to do that.
Golgo 14
64-bit

by Golgo 14 Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:46 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:I wanted to share this well done visual dashboard on live COVID19 stats by John Hopkins:

COVID19 Dashboard by The Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at JHU

I recommend taking a look on a PC or tablet. They did a great job. There's a mobile view option, via right "menu lines" of top banner. Hard to find accurate information. Hope that helps.

Great resource. Thanks!
prfsnl_gmr wrote:THIS IS A BAD IDEA AND A WASTE OF MONEY.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:37 pm

So I was actually able to get tested today!
I had called the NY Coronavirus hotline on Monday before calling my local doctor's office and getting the runaround at the hospital. Today I got a call back and WAS ABLE TO GET TESTED!

The state has set up drive-through testing locations (with military assistance from the looks of things) and I got an appointment for just a couple hours after I was called. I drove over there and was heading back home after about 30 minutes. I'll supposedly receive my results within 3 days. In the meantime, I'll continue isolating myself. Apparently my girlfriend's roommate has a fever and a cough, which does not bode well since I was over there last week...

I'll be relieved to know one way or the other. If I have it, I just need to isolate myself for a while longer and then be able to go back to life as usual (or something like that) and if I don't, it will be nice to be able to at least briefly go out, do my laundry, and visit my girlfriend. Also if I test positive, it gives those around me a priority reason to get themselves tested.

Still coughing, still have a fever, but still don't really feel so bad. I'm extremely lucky to be in the position I'm in where my library will still be there when this is over, I feel awful for all the businesses that are suffering and the folks who are finding themselves without work.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

by SuperDerpBro Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:40 pm

Well, i just had my first visitor to my place since before this all started. Dad randomly showed up to drop of some TP he found in stock LOL. So my first guest came straight from a crowded grocery store. Yay! lol
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:13 am

My jobsite just layed nearly everyone off indefinitely with a promise of re-hire. IMO this camp would be the best place to lay low and keep working until this all blows over. No cases reported here yet. Oh well. Soon as I get home I'll drink a case of Corona beer.
[●_●][●_●][●_●] NO REFUGE ■
[●_●][●_●][ᗒᗜᗕ] BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

by SuperDerpBro Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:43 am

Do you have to fly back? My brother is doing some Ice Road truckin up north and has to fly back soon. I'd hate to be stuck in a tin can full off a few hundred people right now. He might try to rent a car and drive home.
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:14 am

I was meant to start my new job next week (Trust accountant at a law firm) but it has been delayed until the 14th of next month, because of old mate virus. Another month at the supermarket.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:30 am

Sorry to hear that emwearz.
Yeah I'm flying. I'm not too concerned. I'll do my best to avoid direct contact with people for a few days after I get home.
[●_●][●_●][●_●] NO REFUGE ■
[●_●][●_●][ᗒᗜᗕ] BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:59 am

I got my test results already and it's negative! I'm going to continue practicing social distancing, but will go do laundry and buy more food later.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever