Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Post by Gunstar Green »

Golgo 14 wrote:
marurun wrote:Onward is flopping? The reviews have been great. But also now is a shitty time to go see a movie, so there is that.

Reviews and audience reaction have been good, but just not enough people showed up. The virus probably knocked off only a few million opening weekend, as it was tracking to underperform regardless. I get it. It looks like a phoned-in DreamWorks POS at first blush. It's actually very good, but I guess Marketing couldn't get that across.

And yeah, now with the virus situation really kicking in, people aren't wanting to take their kids to the movies. This weekend's box office for the film was down 73% from last weekend, which is just brutal. :shock:

I'm surprised studios aren't delaying releases, I guess their hands are tied by contractual agreements with the theater chains.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

[quote="Gunstar Green"

I'm surprised studios aren't delaying releases, I guess their hands are tied by contractual agreements with the theater chains.[/quote]

The latest James Bond was delayed although there was some confusion whether it was due to it not being finished or coronavirus interfering with the premiere.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

A lot of films are being pushed back. But given when Onward launched I'm guessing it had already been distributed to theaters by the time it went from 'Hey, China is sick" to "I guess everyone is sick".
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

MrPopo wrote:A lot of films are being pushed back. But given when Onward launched I'm guessing it had already been distributed to theaters by the time it went from 'Hey, China is sick" to "I guess everyone is sick".

Yep. Disney had Mulan scheduled for the last weekend in March, but they pulled it a couple days ago. Onward fell into that decidedly unsweet spot. :(
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ohio's governor has closed all restaurants and bars to in-person eating. Only delivery and takeout may be offered in the immediate future. Supposedly a day care mandate will be issued today. I'm not a huge fan of governor DeWine any other day of the week, but this crisis he's following the science. I'm hoping it pays off for Ohioans' health.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

The head doctor here has recommended an informal quarantine. Stay in your house unless it's essential. I guess going to work tomorrow might actually be better now because no one will be there.

This and the housing crisis my partner and their roommate are going through are proving to be too much for me. I had very strong hallucinations last night and an acute psychotic episode.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

My company is putting together a work-from-home plan. Like any good bureaucracy, they're killing us with meetings.

On Thursday, my company had a pre-meeting to discuss the upcoming meeting on Friday.

On Friday, we had a big ol' meeting about the technology we need to work from home. We had to come to this meeting in person. They gathered the whole office into one room, and told us all to avoid gatherings.

This morning we had a followup meeting. At the end of this followup meeting I was told that we would have the pleasure of yet another meeting today at noon.
:roll:

C'mon y'all. I could pick up my work and go home at the drop of a hat. I already have the VPN software installed and ready to roll. We don't need a fourth meeting about all this. It seems to me that the corporate bean counters are doing the math on whether they would potentially lose money or save money by closing down a few of the regional offices permanently and letting the most productive employees work from home.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

samsonlonghair wrote:My company is putting together a work-from-home plan.......They gathered the whole office into one room, and told us all to avoid gatherings...

Bureaucracy. Gotta love it :lol:
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Public transpo here is getting more and more isolated and restrictive. It may actually reach the point where it shuts down. If that happens I am fucked in regards to getting to work.

I sifted through my movie/game/music collection. I found a few vinyls that I don't really like anymore so I can trade them in. I have a few movies that I enjoy but don't go crazy over, and there's one xbox game that's rare that I find to be only be decent. I might sell these.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

NotLuke wrote:If you have elderly or disabled neighbors and plan on shopping, slip them a letter asking them if they need anything.

Thanks for posting this as this is really important. I've asked my grandparents to let me know if they need anything.
Thankfully, more and more grocery stores are offering grocery pick-up/delivery from online orders so the elderly or at-risk can make a grocery trip without having to put themselves at risk.