Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

by ElkinFencer10 Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:38 pm

I usually get the flu every other year (positive flu test, not man-cold), but I work in a public high school, and they're pretty much right up there with prisons and cruise ships for "If anyone's sick, everyone's sick." It's why I'm glad I always get my flu shot; I may still get the flu, but it's not as bad as it otherwise would be.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:47 pm

I think it was 3 years ago when they predicted the wrong stain. I got the flu shot, then got strep and flu at the same time! I didn't even know that was a thing, but doc said it's relatively common because your immune system is already down and strep is extremely contagious on surfaces. Test popped positive for both.

Yeah, my mom also worked in healthcare and brought home the shots :lol:..she'd break them out at dinner.

So you guys are doing well there. Had me curious on general population. Just quickly checked and flu vaccines were at 45% in US adults. I would've guessed ~33%. Per CDC for 2018-19 flu season:

" Flu vaccination coverage among adults ≥18 years was 45.3%, an increase of 8.2 percentage points from the 2017–18 flu season and 2.0 percentage points higher than the 2016–17 season."

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:25 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:I had the flu once. Not a bad cold, the actual flu. It's so rough. I couldn't do anything for a week. That's what blew my mind about the whole "just a flu" selfish pricks. The flu is no joke yo! People die all the time from it, especially kids and the elderly.

Had the flu for the first time in December 2019. Ugh, it was pretty rough, I missed like three to four days of work and was pretty much in bed that whole time. Even when I was feeling better enough to be up and about, I still had chest congestion and had to take antibiotics for like two weeks.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:59 pm

Note wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:I had the flu once. Not a bad cold, the actual flu. It's so rough. I couldn't do anything for a week. That's what blew my mind about the whole "just a flu" selfish pricks. The flu is no joke yo! People die all the time from it, especially kids and the elderly.

Had the flu for the first time in December 2019. Ugh, it was pretty rough, I missed like three to four days of work and was pretty much in bed that whole time. Even when I was feeling better enough to be up and about, I still had chest congestion and had to take antibiotics for like two weeks.

Are you sure that wasn't an early COVID case? I'm no conspiracy theory nut, but I often wonder if it was here just a bit earlier and just missed. Of course, if you were tested you'd know pretty much for sure.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:21 am

Markies wrote:I work at a Hospital, so I have to get the Flu Shot.
I have gotten it every year I've worked there, so almost 5 times now.

Before I worked there, I never got the Flu Shot.
I hate needles and I didn't think the Shot did anything for me.

Every year since I can remember, I would always get sick around the beginning part of January.
It normally is just the flu, would last a week or two and then that would be it.
Every single year.
Except January 2021. :D

does the flu shot really work? you seem to imply you still get sick
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:27 am

RCBH928 wrote:does the flu shot really work? you seem to imply you still get sick

There are four main types of influenza virus and hundreds of different variations, and immunologists have the guess which strains will be prevalent each year. They don't always get it right. 2019 was a year that the strains they thought would be prevalent weren't. That said, even if you're vaccinated against the wrong strains, it will still mitigate how bad the disease will be. The flu vaccine won't always keep you from getting the flu, but it will always make sure it's not as bad as it otherwise would have been. If you get the flu shot, then get the flu and spend five days in bed, you'd have otherwise spent close to two weeks in bed assuming you didn't end up in the hospital (contrary to popular belief, people are hospitalized by and die from the flu every year).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:22 pm

Is it worth fighting against the idiots in the youtube comments, or will I just waste my time and stress myself out.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:58 pm

Yes, and yes
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:25 pm

Michi wrote:Yes, and yes

To elaborate, it's not to change their minds, it's to sway the neutral reader. I often question if those exist anymore, but they do.
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:34 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:Are you sure that wasn't an early COVID case? I'm no conspiracy theory nut, but I often wonder if it was here just a bit earlier and just missed. Of course, if you were tested you'd know pretty much for sure.

You know, I'm not totally sure -- the thought crossed my mind too. But I was in close contact with coworkers at the office and family around that time, and nobody else around me got sick, so I'm thinking it was the flu.

However, I was sick again with mild like COVID symptoms in late March 2020 for about four weeks, so I think I had it then -- one of my doctors thinks so as well. But I wasn't able to get tested around that time and luckily was alone and didn't have contact with anyone else for about three months, so I couldn't get anyone else sick. Weird thing is, the antibody tests I took later came back negative, and so did any other tests for the infection.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever