Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Re: Coronavirus pandemic - how are you affected?

Post by Raging Justice »

RCBH928 wrote:You didn't even get the vaccines as a kid like Hepatitis, Tetanus, Measles?

Well, it's possible I have gotten those. I wasn't old enough to make those decisions myself. I never actually had things like measles, chicken pox, etc. as a kid. Whether that's natural immunity or vaccines I can't say. As an adult though, I don't get flu shots and things like that. I don't really trust vaccines. Many of my friends and family have gotten the covid vaccine though. Though some of my friends were forced too by their place of employment, even though they personally didn't want to take it. Florida doesn't force anyone to take it, but some private companies still can
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Raging Justice wrote:I don't really trust vaccines.

Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Raging Justice wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:You didn't even get the vaccines as a kid like Hepatitis, Tetanus, Measles?

Well, it's possible I have gotten those. I wasn't old enough to make those decisions myself. I never actually had things like measles, chicken pox, etc. as a kid. Whether that's natural immunity or vaccines I can't say. As an adult though, I don't get flu shots and things like that. I don't really trust vaccines. Many of my friends and family have gotten the covid vaccine though. Though some of my friends were forced too by their place of employment, even though they personally didn't want to take it. Florida doesn't force anyone to take it, but some private companies still can

Never had a flu shot either. Really, never get anything over a common cold maybe once a year. I guess to each their own though.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Vaccines are crazy safe. They undergo VERY strict testing and trials. My wife was in one of the Pfizer trials and was vaccinated October of last year. Their protocols were very thorough and my wife had to log regularly and go in for blood tests. I literally cannot think of any aspect of modern medicine, from OTC medicines to prescription drugs to surgical interventions, that is more carefully monitored and trialed. I mean, look how much research attention was given to that rare blood clotting issue with the AstraZenica and Johnson and Johnson vaccines, despite the incredibly low rate at which they occur and the fact that birth control pills have a much higher rate of clots and fatal incidents. My teenage niece got COVID and it was far worse than the vaccine would have been, and she had a pretty easy case, though I guess only time will tell if she came away with any potential longer term fallout from COVID. And she’s stupid fit and active.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

marurun wrote:Vaccines are crazy safe. They undergo VERY strict testing and trials. My wife was in one of the Pfizer trials and was vaccinated October of last year. Their protocols were very thorough and my wife had to log regularly and go in for blood tests. I literally cannot think of any aspect of modern medicine, from OTC medicines to prescription drugs to surgical interventions, that is more carefully monitored and trialed. I mean, look how much research attention was given to that rare blood clotting issue with the AstraZenica and Johnson and Johnson vaccines, despite the incredibly low rate at which they occur and the fact that birth control pills have a much higher rate of clots and fatal incidents. My teenage niece got COVID and it was far worse than the vaccine would have been, and she had a pretty easy case, though I guess only time will tell if she came away with any potential longer term fallout from COVID. And she’s stupid fit and active.

That's good to hear that they are instituting thorough protocols. The clotting thing with the AstraZenica and Johnson and Johnson vaccines was definitely something that raised alarm bells for me as blood clots are very dangerous. I'm happy that your family's experience with the vaccines have been positive.

I try to keep an open mind, so while vaccines make me nervous, I do like hearing first hand accounts like this that are positive.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

When I got the vaccine a few weeks ago my arm was hella sore for the next two days.

At Food Lion once I'm fully vaccinated, which will be on July 21st iirc, then I can stop wearing my face mask.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Aren't the blood clots like an astronomically low number anyways?

My only beef with the vaccine movement is that it turned into a competition, especially against vaccines from the "enemy" countries like Russia, China, and Cuba, but in the end they seemed to be fine? The cuban vaccine seems to be especially effective too. 3 doses and it's already 62% effective when the second is administered.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

Things are slowly getting back to normal. I've been working from home since March of last year. What was supposed to be a two to three week affair turned into 16 months. Still crazy to think about but I should very much count myself very fortunate. I head back into the office on July 6 for three days a week: Tuesday to Thursday, with Monday and Friday working from home.

I got my vaccine. I love the microchip! It feels good that the government cares so much about me that they need to know every movement I make.
(this is a lighthearted jab -- no pun intended)
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Gucci wrote:Things are slowly getting back to normal. I've been working from home since March of last year. What was supposed to be a two to three week affair turned into 16 months. Still crazy to think about but I should very much count myself very fortunate. I head back into the office on July 6 for three days a week: Tuesday to Thursday, with Monday and Friday working from home.

I got my vaccine. I love the microchip! It feels good that the government cares so much about me that they need to know every movement I make.
(this is a lighthearted jab -- no pun intended)

Man, you gotta own those puns!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Hope to see the tide turning in Maine. Homeschooled the kids this year (just wrapped up Friday) as I refuse to put masks on them. Summer camps are open as normal, which is good.