Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by RCBH928 Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:38 pm

what is the best movie adaptation of Phantom of The Opera?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:06 pm

RCBH928 wrote:what is the best movie adaptation of Phantom of The Opera?

For better or worse, the silent version remains the best adaptation in my opinion.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:08 pm

Lon Chaney is awesome, but I have a hard time watching silent films. The 1943 version gets my vote, although I haven't seen them all so there might be one that I end up liking better.

There's TOO many versions of The Phantom of the Opera! You pretty much need a guide lol. Do you want the musical version, or non-musical version?

Speaking of the musical, I had the pleasure of seeing the Andrew Lloyd Webber play on Broadway and it was fantastic! I wasn't far from the stage either.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:19 pm

I really like the silent movie version of Phantom of the Opera, but there's one true correct answer for this: Phantom of the Paradise!
It's not exactly accurate to the novel, but it IS extremely awesome and I'd highly recommend it.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:30 pm

Ha, I grew up in the silent version. In fact, that was the first silent film I ever saw, and I even prefer it to the 1943 version with Claude Rains despite how much I love seeing Claude Rains' performance. In fact, I'd rank the Lon Chaney version first, the Claude Rains version second, and everything else after that is unimportant...except Phantom of the Paradise.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:37 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Lon Chaney is awesome, but I have a hard time watching silent films. The 1943 version gets my vote, although I haven't seen them all so there might be one that I end up liking better.

There's TOO many versions of The Phantom of the Opera! You pretty much need a guide lol. Do you want the musical version, or non-musical version?

Speaking of the musical, I had the pleasure of seeing the Andrew Lloyd Webber play on Broadway and it was fantastic! I wasn't far from the stage either.

I am definitely going with non musical, I don't like when they turn something into musical. I believe it usually is subpar. I like ones that contain songs like Sound of Music. I define a musical as something that is just made out songs, dialogue and everything.

That 1943 one is very interesting its almost 80 years old, near a century. Its interesting to look back at people and see how things were, we are the first generation in human history who get to do this. Ironically, people seem very similar to today(life wise). Another interesting point is that they went from silent B&W version in 1925 to sound and full color in 1943 only 18 years later. I bet people in the early 40s were like "The future is now..."

Nemoide wrote:I really like the silent movie version of Phantom of the Opera, but there's one true correct answer for this: Phantom of the Paradise!
It's not exactly accurate to the novel, but it IS extremely awesome and I'd highly recommend it.

I still can't wrap my head around mockery films, imagine going to investors and convince them to use their money for all the expensive equipment and expensive film to make a silly movie. Due to my ignorance I thought that kind of stuff started with Scary Movie, then I learned about Monty Python and there probably others or earlier ones. Not exactly a film historian.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:11 pm

Comedy and parody in film are almost as old as film itself.

Do you know the classic gag of a man standing on a hose so another man looks in it and gets a face full of water? That was a short film released in 1895, The Sprinkler Sprinkled. It's considered one of the first comedy films. By the 1910s, comedies were major draws in movie theaters, though humor has an ancient tradition in theater, oration, and literature.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:43 pm

I don't think he meant comedies as a whole, just that sub genre of dumb slap stick spoof movies.

Spoof movies have been a thing long before Scary Movie, but Scary Movie was a sort of revival and we saw a ton of spoof movies come out after it. Scary Movie mostly follows Scream. Did you know that the original title from Scream was Scary Movie? Scream is a self-aware almost parody of the genre.

But yeah, there's tons of spoof movies before Scary Movie. Mel Brooks did some of the best. Young Frankenstein, Robin Hood Men in Tights, Dracula Dead and Loving it, Space Balls, History of the World Part 1. Leslie Nielson was in a lot of spoof movies. Airplane, the Naked Gun movies, Wrongfully Accused, Spy Hard. Mafia! is a spoof on Italian Mob movies, and the Austin Powers movies are spoofing James Bond.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:26 am

Yeah am not against comedies, born in the 80s, comedy was one of the biggest genres if not the biggest I grew up with. As an investor, I would be happy to put money in something Coming to America or The Mask.

Films that are supposed to be "spoof" I guess like Austin Powers and Robin Hood Men in Tights are ok in my book as I consider them comedies. I differentiate between a comedy adaptation and mockery of another work. its the ones that sole purpose to mimic and make fun of other works and do not take themselves seriously like the actor would break the 4th wall and start talking to the viewers, those feel like actors are acting silly behind the scenes footage.

Of course, Its more acceptable now given how easy it is to make a movie and sell it compared to say the 70s where you had to shoot on film, edit on some multi-100 thousand device, make prints, distribute world wide to theaters, print and ship VHS tapes, advertisement...

I didn't know Airplane was spoof, what was it supposed to make fun of? I thought its a funny movie within itself.
Last edited by RCBH928 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:38 am

RCBH928 wrote:Films that are supposed to be "spoof" I guess like Austin Powers and Robin Hood Men in Tights are ok in my book as I consider them comedies. I differentiate between a comedy adaptation and mockery of another work. its the ones that sole purpose to mimic and make fun of other works and do not take themselves seriously like the actor would break the 3rd wall and start talking to the viewers, those feel like actors are acting silly behind the scenes footage.

Actually, my favorite part in Men in Tights is when Cary Elwes breaks the fourth wall. He slowly turns and looks into the camera as he says, "Because, unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent. " Which references Kevin Costner's Robin Hood, he was heavily criticized for not speaking with an English accent.

RCBH928 wrote:I didn't know Airplane was spoof, what was it supposed to make fun of? I thought its a funny movie within itself.

To quote Wikipedia: The film is a parody of the disaster film genre, particularly the 1957 Paramount film Zero Hour!, from which it borrows the plot and the central characters, as well as many elements from Airport 1975 and other films in the Airport film series.

Return to Off-Topic / Whatever