Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:46 pm

Personally, I’d take The Big Lebowski over all other Coen Brother’s films, but that’s just a matter of taste.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:33 pm

The Pelican Brief turned to be a huge disappointment for me...really slow and hard watch. Cant get myself to complete it. Maybe others are into this kind of films but not me
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:46 am

RCBH928 wrote:The Pelican Brief turned to be a huge disappointment for me...really slow and hard watch. Cant get myself to complete it. Maybe others are into this kind of films but not me

That one is a little slow but I tend to live movies in this genre.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:35 pm

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEtOEoyqj6k

I just watched the above linked video on how there was something like 1.5 - 2 hours of cut footage. There's one deleted scene on the DVD, which I've seen before, and it's a great scene. The above video talks about a few cut scenes from the script that you can still find bits of in the final film. I would totally love to see a 3 hour cut of this movie! Movies that are written, directed and produces by Hughes are awesome. And John Candy is awesome. And the Martin/Candy chemistry in the movie was amazing. I could only imagine how great the missing scenes were. I understand that there is little if any financial incentive for a movie studio to restore/master deleted scenes (if they even still exist) and make a director's cut, but it's a shame knowing that most of these scenes are probably amazing and will never see the light of day.

My Sale Thread - PRICES REDUCED! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:24 pm

Any one has recommendation for an alternative to IMDB? The site feels heavy a bit and I don't like to rely on big corp. for everything (Amazon). I found TheMovieDB but the problem is searching has to be exact, for example I typed in "Thehaunting" it said no results.

Also is there an app/site that I can scan bar code of dvd/bluray and it auto register it in my library? Even if producing an excel sheet that is fine.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:59 pm

RCBH928 wrote:Any one has recommendation for an alternative to IMDB? The site feels heavy a bit and I don't like to rely on big corp. for everything (Amazon). I found TheMovieDB but the problem is searching has to be exact, for example I typed in "Thehaunting" it said no results.

Depends on what you're looking for. For quick look ups like top billed cast, director, producers, release year and runtime, I sometimes use Wikipedia. You can set Wikipedia as a search engine option (just like you can with IMDB) from the search bar in a browser, so it's very fast to get to a movie's page. If the movie title is just a regular word, like Anaconda for example, then just type "(movie)" after the title and you should jump right to the correct page. This also helps if it's also a book or video game title.

RCBH928 wrote:Also is there an app/site that I can scan bar code of dvd/bluray and it auto register it in my library? Even if producing an excel sheet that is fine.

So there was Filmogs, which was for films as Discogs is for music, but it was shut down in August 2020.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discogs#Filmogs

My Sale Thread - PRICES REDUCED! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:21 pm

any one saw the movie Bugsy? Is it slow or action based? Recommend or not?

@Ziggy

Thanks, the problem with Wikipedia it doesn't have scoring/rating which I depend on.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:38 pm

I largely ignore ratings.

But Wikipedia almost always has a "reception" section (and you can jump right to it from the top of the page). There's usually some blurbs from various critics, and often there is a rotten tomato score.

Still taking Anaconda as an example...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaconda_(film)#Reception

RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:26 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:I largely ignore ratings.

But Wikipedia almost always has a "reception" section (and you can jump right to it from the top of the page). There's usually some blurbs from various critics, and often there is a rotten tomato score.

Still taking Anaconda as an example...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaconda_(film)#Reception

thanks. I now learned that when you add a hash at the end of the URL it takes you to specific part of the site.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:15 am

HOT TAKE...American Kaiju movies are, on average, better than Japanese Kaiju movies.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever