Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:41 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:It just absolutely blows my mind that people will look at the director of Robocop and Starship Troopers and think that he didn't do intentional satire.

I respect the movie as a criticism/satire, but the performances are so, so deliciously bad. Accordingly, I view it as both of the things you described above: a so-bad-it’s-good movie that, if you think critically about it, as also a pretty biting satire of capitalism.
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

by PretentiousHipster Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:04 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:It just absolutely blows my mind that people will look at the director of Robocop and Starship Troopers and think that he didn't do intentional satire.

I respect the movie as a criticism/satire, but the performances are so, so deliciously bad. Accordingly, I view it as both of the things you described above: a so-bad-it’s-good movie that, if you think critically about it, as also a pretty biting satire of capitalism.

I honestly think he hired bad actors on purpose since it seems consistent with what he did in Starship Troopers. Each film maybe had 1 or 2 that looked like they were in on the joke too.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:22 am

I think I saw Starship Troopers but I don't remember it, from what I remember it was an obvious satire kind of like Scary Movie. Robocop on the other hand fits right in the 80s blockbluster category. Tech+Action was a major seller in the 80s and what were people into. I wouldn't call it satire unless I am missing something. Its an 80s film icon.

This reminds me that pre-2000 action movies were huge, I guess CGI killed it after people noticed everything is done with computers now.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:56 pm

Found another forgotten gem, Frequency(2000) . 7+/10 on IMDB and premise sounds interesting. I think I saw it in the past, I must have I used to watch a ton of movies, but 20 years ago I must have forgotten it too.

Any body think he knows a great title that usually people forget/skip from 80s and 90s...ok 70s too but usually that decade is not my cup of tea but it has some good ones like Rocky and Exorcist.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:55 pm

I saw the movie The Big Lebowski and I don't remember much of it now but I didn't notice why people praise this movie so much and Jeff Bridges in "The Dude" role. My only guess it has to do with a culture thing, so if someone is willing to explain to me I am willing to listen.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:05 pm

I just love the plot, all the goofy characters and all the shit dude gets into. I couldn't try and explain the appeal though. You didnt laugh your ass off throughout the movie?
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

by PretentiousHipster Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:39 pm

Maybe a meme? It was quite quotable. It's not nearly their best though. I prefer Barton Fink, Fargo, No Country for Old Men, A Serious Man, and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:19 pm

stickem wrote:I just love the plot, all the goofy characters and all the shit dude gets into. I couldn't try and explain the appeal though. You didnt laugh your ass off throughout the movie?

I don't remember its been some time. I didn't take it for what it is, as it seems a simple light comedy. I started watching with big expectation due to this movie's reputation, I really thought there is more to it.

@PretentiousHipster

Just how much about movies do you know? You sound like someone who studied this academically
Who are you referring to when you say "It's not nearly their best though."
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:52 pm

PretentiousHipster wrote:Maybe a meme? It was quite quotable. It's not nearly their best though. I prefer Barton Fink, Fargo, No Country for Old Men, A Serious Man, and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

I'd take Fargo over it, just my opinion. Probably a little nostalgia tossed in.
PretentiousHipster
128-bit

by PretentiousHipster Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:03 pm

RCBH928 wrote:@PretentiousHipster

Just how much about movies do you know? You sound like someone who studied this academically
Who are you referring to when you say "It's not nearly their best though."

I've seen 8,117 films so far. Focusing on video games now though I think I'm "done" with movies.

Sometimes Joel Coen is the only director of the films like in Big Lebowski, but they're always considered the work of the "Coen Brothers"
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever