Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Post by PretentiousHipster »

If you don't like childish stuff you better get used to films that have a lot of talking, since that's what more "adult" films have :P

That or just go for trash cinema. Cheesy action films and horrors can be fantastic.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

PretentiousHipster wrote:If you don't like childish stuff you better get used to films that have a lot of talking, since that's what more "adult" films have :P

That or just go for trash cinema. Cheesy action films and horrors can be fantastic.

Depends on what you mean by childish. Adults films that have a lot of talking may as well be a written novel. I don't think most people enjoy watching a 20 min conversation between 2 characters on screen.
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:Depends on what you mean by childish. Adults films that have a lot of talking may as well be a written novel. I don't think most people enjoy watching a 20 min conversation between 2 characters on screen.

If the writing is really good and the actors are good at delivering their lines I don't mind 20 minutes of characters talking. In fact, some of my favorite parts of movies are extended exchanges between interesting characters with snappy or interesting dialogue.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Like Quintin Tarantino movies.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, sometimes the most profound moments can be the conversation, or simply sitting in silence, the expression, the body, and the frame expressing raw emotion and giving everything the audience needs.

But who cares? Go watch Street Trash!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryg9KYXXq0U
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

Speaking of trash, do you guys know the 80s USA Network show Night Flight has come back as a streaming service? Apparently it's been around for almost five years, but this is the first I've heard of it. I don't think it's something I need all the time, but I could see picking it up for a month or two around Halloween.

https://www.nightflightplus.com/

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 11.49.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 11.49.59 PM.png (217.57 KiB) Viewed 8215 times
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:If the writing is really good and the actors are good at delivering their lines I don't mind 20 minutes of characters talking. In fact, some of my favorite parts of movies are extended exchanges between interesting characters with snappy or interesting dialogue.

It depends on the delivery. If they do it in the right way it would be more like sitting down and listening to a story teller that engages you in his stories. I think the movie 12 Angry Men was just a bunch of people in a room talking back and forth, but IIRC that was a good film and kept me engaged. I was talking more about scenes where the dialogue is mundane. I have seen movies with extended boring dialogue that was as exciting as listening to the table next to you in a restaurant or less.

None the less, I believe film is a visual medium and hence there should be more things to see than to listen. If its going to be all talk just turn it into a radio series.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Any one watches the end credits? Sometimes there is some nice trivia at the end.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I liked the first Taken with Liam Neeson. I haven't seen it since it first came out, but I've been wanting to rewatch it. I know there were a couple of sequels but I haven't seen any of them. I just assumed they were typical sequels that only exist to cash in on the success of the first movie but probably weren't as good. But, did I assume wrong? Are they worth watching?
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Ziggy587 wrote:I liked the first Taken with Liam Neeson. I haven't seen it since it first came out, but I've been wanting to rewatch it. I know there were a couple of sequels but I haven't seen any of them. I just assumed they were typical sequels that only exist to cash in on the success of the first movie but probably weren't as good. But, did I assume wrong? Are they worth watching?

not bad if you like the first, more of the same, different locations lol. The Commuter is also worth watching. same type of movie.