Next-Gen

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Post by Raging Justice »

I thought they were done with this series, but this new one looks fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N56EVgi7bJ4
marurun

Post by marurun »

John Carter was a perfectly fine movie. It wasn't great, though. Just fine. I think given the budget and what it was up against at that budget it was definitely comparatively lackluster. Of course, now almost everything out of the House of Mouse costs that much to make. I honestly think the real problem with the Marvel VFX is that they try to rely too heavily on them even when unnecessary. Artists are likely having to make compromises to keep up with the deadlines due to volume of work. I really think they could strike a better balance.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Raging Justice wrote:CGI and green screen have their place, but it's always more impressive when people work hard to make things look real and authentic without the use of computers. Whether that's set design, props, people in costume for monsters and aliens, old school Jim Henson puppetry, animatronics, actors doing their own stunts, practical effects, or shooting big set pieces on location like I think they did with that train sequence in that last Mission Impossible movie.

You can just feel it when you're watching something that people worked hard to make look real with using the easy out of computers or tons of smoke and mirrors or stunt doubles. Authenticity goes a long way onscreen.

Thats what I am saying. Previously movie makers worked to maximum to make their film look as realistic as possible and this might have been achieved with a lot of mixing of multiple artistic tricks. There used to be a tv series called "movie magic" to show you some of their tricks. Today they want to get by with PS2 3D Models. This looks like a mid-90s tv Sci-Fi series :lol:

The head scratchers is that CGI is supposed to be cheaper than recreating a set but the budgets are off the roof.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

who else enjoy reading movie reviews to make a decision to watch a movie or not?

Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

RCBH928 wrote:who else enjoy reading movie reviews to make a decision to watch a movie or not?

User reviews are usually pretty useless. They mostly consist of "GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!!! 10 out of 10!!!" or "WORST MOVIE IN CINEMATIC HISTORY!!! 1 out of 10!!!!"

Doesn't help that with the culture war, a lot of reviews with have a political slant to them too. "I hate this movie because it's woke!" or "I hate this movie because it's not woke enough!"

However, if you're patient enough to scroll past all of the crap from the Neanderthals of our world, you'll sometimes find something posted by someone that is very thoughtful and informative...and probably better than 90% of the reviews from the professional critics as well. Those are the ones I look for. For every 50 idiots in any given place whether it's real life or the internet, there's always at least a handful of smart, thoughtful people there as well.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I started aiming for 6/10 reviews, they seem to be the more correct ones but this doesn't really work if the movie is actually really good and is easily 9/10.

In past times I would skip any movie below 7/10
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

The trailer for the upcoming Harmony Korine came out. Looks like a visual onslaught. Can't wait to see it

https://youtu.be/NNJe3EI8ShU?si=LO4y5YHEQjBNb9On

Its premiere is in a strip club lol
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I had a movie on my imdb watch list that somehow I lost. Please help me find it.

genre: action, thriller, crime, drama

release: somewhere between 2005-2017

it had a higher rating on imdb (6+) but it kind of went under the radar, a little obscure. IIRC the title was a bit long. The main actor is well known should be on the level of Dustin Hoffman, Alec Baldwin. I think its about some guy whose brother got into trouble with the police. The poster was mostly blue/dark blue and IIRC had a bridge on it from new york. Poster should look something like a mix between those 3. Any one can I identify it?

Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

You are probably thinking of Blood Ties (2013) starring Clive Owen and Billy Crudup.

I think it checks all of your boxes, except that the title is not very long.

Honestly, I didn't think it was very good.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Most sincere apologies. After long and careful searching on IMDB I figured it out. It was "Most violent Year". What was more annoying was that it was on my watchlist all along except somehow my eyes skipped it no matter how much I scrolled up and down the list. Any one ever get that?

---

@Limtewater

I must say you did a great job! Based on my description, you hit the nail on the head. Thanks I appreciate it.