Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

It definitely helps! The horror side will be interesting, and the other stuff I'm looking at is mostly Kaiju and Kamen Rider type stuff. And whatever the hell the Cutie Honey movie falls under.

Late edit- I do wish there was a streaming service that specializes in live action stuff from Asia. There’s tons of Korean and Japanese stuff I’d like to see, and I’d be interested to see what other countries had.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Did a look on the movie The Fountain reading comments from users and reviews I stumbled upon 2 movies that are highly rated titled Moon and Sunshine. I really hate this when I find hidden gems. Sometimes I really spend a long time browsing trying to find a movie that is worthwhile.

That being said, I don't like over the top artsy films. I have my limits. Movies that makes you think and figure out what is it that you are seeing more than enjoying the show is not my cup of tea. The Godfather has the right balance for me between a very well done movie and enjoyability. I really had a difficult-and disturbing time- watching A Clockwork Orange I regret it honestly.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Both Moon and Sunshine are very, very OK.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I really liked Moon. Sunshine just ends up...mediocre. It wants to be Event Horizon but doesn't make it.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Sunshine is more one of those that I would have liked more if it didn't try to mix in horror as much. Same as Pandorum or maybe Prometheus. Flipping genres is sort of Danny Boyle's thing though.

Moon maybe falls a touch short of the buzz it got, but it's still pretty solid.

Either are much more straightfoward than The Fountain though. That one probably skews more towards something like Cloud Atlas.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Here we go again, Pandorum , I never heard of this one before.

From reader's comments, Moon was indie and made on $5M budget so that might make you appreciate the movie a little bit more. Flipping genres seems like a cool idea and refreshing, I haven't noticed it but if I ever encountered it I would theme it with the last genre it got into. If it starts romance and ends in action, i would call it action movie.

Prometheus was unbearable to me, just too boring. I quit on it. Cloud Atlas I could go through but didn't have much fun or enjoyment, the idea seemed to big to grasp and understand via film medium.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I recently discovered Lindsay Ellis, and I love her analysis of films. She's both analytical and entertaining. And she hates RENT as much as I do. Her critique of it is spot on and really sums up why I don't get along with it. I really wish I'd discovered her videos a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/q0qfFbtIj5w
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

She used to be Nostalgia Chick. I just hope she changed her mind with the film Showgirls. It's far from a so bad it's good film and is actually one of the most brilliant and cynical satire on feminism, capitalism, and the Hollywood system.
marurun

Post by marurun »

PretentiousHipster wrote:She used to be Nostalgia Chick. I just hope she changed her mind with the film Showgirls. It's far from a so bad it's good film and is actually one of the most brilliant and cynical satire on feminism, capitalism, and the Hollywood system.

Not everyone has to agree in their interpretation of film. While I like that she agrees with me about RENT for what I consider to be the right reasons, I also see why lots of people love it, even if I think it's for the wrong reasons.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

It just absolutely blows my mind that people will look at the director of Robocop and Starship Troopers and think that he didn't do intentional satire.