Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Post by Ziggy »

Hmm, I'll put them on my list and see what happens.
PavellabIND

Post by PavellabIND »

Recently watched the movie 2067 Time Loop
Everyone who likes films about travel in time and with a very confusing plot will please
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

The new Mortal Kombat movie looks like going to be extremely popular with a current 10M views for the trailer on YouTube. Real head scratcher since the original releases is considered a forgotten B movie joke. Personally I really like the Mortal Kombat universe and like the original movie for what it is, it was a Mortal Kombat movie and I believe they delivered. I am just surprised there is still hype and following to it since it seemed to be the "lesser" Street Fighter.

The new CG capabilities really improves on the movie quality. I wonder how they will make up their money with the COVID situation, we all know the big bucks is from cinema tickets. I am also surprised someone considered making a Mortal Kombat movie now near 24 years later of the original, then again they made a Sonic movie 20 years after the death of Sega's final console.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The original Mortal Kombat film has quite a following, actually, and was quite popular. Imperfect, yes, but in interesting ways. Not so sure about this new one. Something like Mortal Kombat shouldn’t be taken too seriously.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

marurun wrote:The original Mortal Kombat film has quite a following, actually, and was quite popular. Imperfect, yes, but in interesting ways. Not so sure about this new one. Something like Mortal Kombat shouldn’t be taken too seriously.

+1

I still love the original Mortal Kombat. It is so much fun, and as you noted, doesn’t take itself seriously at all. The fight scenes are pretty great; the soundtrack is awesome; and its casting is remarkably progressive for an American action movie released in 1995.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is a silly masterpiece.

Movie twitter is a sad place and I saw them talking shit about the new Mortal Kombat movie for only being like 115 minutes long. They said that is not enough time to establish and develop characters, and to give them a reason to fight and for us relate to them. Pretty much all of my huge pet peeves of movie opinions all at once.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:The original Mortal Kombat film has quite a following, actually, and was quite popular. Imperfect, yes, but in interesting ways. Not so sure about this new one. Something like Mortal Kombat shouldn’t be taken too seriously.

I am not sure what you mean by taking it too seriously. Its a movie about a guy that shoots freezing ice from his palms and a four armed monster. I would say its as serious as any superhero film.

PretentiousHipster wrote:Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is a silly masterpiece.

Movie twitter is a sad place and I saw them talking shit about the new Mortal Kombat movie for only being like 115 minutes long. They said that is not enough time to establish and develop characters, and to give them a reason to fight and for us relate to them. Pretty much all of my huge pet peeves of movie opinions all at once.

isn't the average movie 110-115 minutes? Maybe the compared it tot he Marvel movies that are quiet long. They can always go the sequels route, Hollywood loves sequels now days.
Ack

Post by Ack »

PretentiousHipster wrote:Mortal Kombat: Annihilation is a silly masterpiece.

Movie Twitter is one of the greatest cesspits of the Twitter cesspit. The hot takes are always amazing. But no one wanted to engage in my A*P*E vs. Pulgasari debate in the wake of Godzilla Vs. Kong.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

I think my favourite type of film is one that deconstructs a genre. Tbh a film forum might be better to post this, but I thought of 3 examples and am wondering if people could think of more.

Shura [Demons]: Deconstruction of the Jidaigeki genre. Takes the samurai revenge kind of plot, and emphasize on multiple aspects to show just how dangerous, and even scary, it could be. Emphasis is mostly placed on the horror/gore aspect.

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning: Does the same stuff as Shura, but make it a deconstruction of hammy 80s action movies. Having Dolph Lundgren act in a hammy villain way and a film where its style is reminiscent of Noe and Refn (who unfortunately I'm not too into), but in a horror/gore tone makes it so surreal.

Showgirls: Deconstruction of not only the journey into Hollywood life, but one of Hollywood films itself. Takes many of the tropes, and increases them to such an extreme to show how absurd those concepts are in the first place. The mostly unintentional bad acting (I think Kyle MacLachlan and Gina Gershon knew what they were doing) helped with some of those tropes. I noticed on rateyourmusic that the rating for it increased by almost 1/5 in the past few years. It seems that finally people are starting to realize that this film is actually genius.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I just learned that binaural audio has been around since like the 50s but not been implemented or forgotten somehow in for home viewing movies. To me this is more immersive than 3D , 4K , or even the usual surround sound system which I thought was supposed to create and immersive sound environment.There is also something else called quadraphonic sound which is supposed to do the same from 4 speakers, but that also seems to have been neglected or failed.

Both technologies seem to be adding much more effect especially in horror movies!