Demonik - Canceled 360 Game Featured in Grandmas Boy Movie

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Demonik - Canceled 360 Game Featured in Grandmas Boy Movie

Post by Jagosaurus »

Let’s talk about Grandma’s Boy and the canceled xbox 360 game Demonik …. Yeah, that’s a real game… with trailers and gameplay footage.

This will thread obviously contain some spoilers to a 2006 stoner comedy. This is likely news to most who watched the movie and thought this was a fictional movie plot point.

Demonik Game Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWG6sNRJSxU

Demonik Gameplay Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b5TI_Z6eRg

The main protagonist is developing this game within the movie. The original xbox is featured throughout the movie as the console the main team is developing for. That’s right… you have a stoner comedy centered around video game development. You’ll be hit with many video game references from Halo multiplayer to DDR, to Frogger, to Intellivision Lives. Demonik lies at the center of it all. They eventually show Demonik being released, in an original xbox game cover, but it was really planned for the 360.

The developer was Terminal Reality. I don’t think it’s a coincidence you see Blood Rayne 2 posters during movie, which they also developed. Unfortunately, Majesco went bankrupt before publishing this. Reportedly due to Psychonauts not performing well although I didn't fact check that.

As you can read here… wait Clive Barker…yup from Candyman and Hellraiser… was involved & there were even Demonik movie talks… this just gets weirder:
Featured in the 2006 comedy Grandma’s Boy, Demonik wasn’t a fake game made for the film. Rather, it was a real title developed by Terminal Reality that was supposed to come out for the Xbox 360. Wanna hear the most interesting (and relevant) part about the game? It was written by none other than Clive Barker!

The story followed people who felt like they had been wronged by some circumstance. Instead of being normal human beings and getting over it, they summon a demon to do their dark bidding. Therefore, you, the player, would control the “bad guy” of the game. An interesting premise that is almost certainly inspired by Pumpkinhead, it seemed like it would be a great horror/action game.

After the majesty of Undying and before the disappointing Jericho, Demonik was supposed to be Barker’s second entry in the video game world. Alas, the game was dismissed by publisher Majesco and Alex’s grandmother probably never got to beat the story while JP is almost certainly still fired and speaking like a glitchy robot.

Another sad bit of news that comes from CliveBarker.info states, “Clive has confirmed that the movie and other options are unlikely now to be fulfilled…” It seems that Barker, as he likes to set up, arranged for Demonik to live outside of the video game world and enter into movies and other mediums.
Source: https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-gam ... wish-made/
This movie is an odd mix of…. Adam Sandler crew meets Seth Rogan crew meets geek culture movie. I have some weird college time nostalgia for it, but it just works. As a video game fan, you’ll have fun with it.

Thoughts on the movie? Did you know Demonik was a real game? Would you have liked to see it based on footage? Hopefully this was a fun bit of video game history.

100% no shame... I have circa ~2008 college, nostalgia glasses for this one. I was drinking beer, playing Halo, & watching the Grandma's Boy DVD on my 50" HD projection TV on a 360... with my GF now wife, Mrs Jago. I'm classy like that. Good times. 8)

Shameless RB plug:
I bet if you enjoyed this thread… you’ll also enjoy my Video Games in Veronica Mars TV Series – List thread as well:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=48243
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Demonik - Canceled 360 Game Featured in Grandmas Boy Mov

Post by stickem »

Loved the movie. Just thought the game was some 3rd person spawn beaten up clone. I didnt pay attention to the game much or know it was real. It was on the oxbox in the movie though, not the 360. What part was seth rogans crew?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

stickem wrote:Loved the movie. Just thought the game was some 3rd person spawn beaten up clone. I didnt pay attention to the game much or know it was real. It was on the oxbox in the movie though, not the 360. What part was seth rogans crew?

Yeah, they even show the game in an original xbox case but it was planned for the 360.

I was referring more to the Judd Apatow style of stoner humor, but Jonah Hill is also a main character.

Ack

Post by Ack »

Huh, I've seen the film and had heard the game was supposed to be real, but I didn't know Clive Barker had worked on it. Now I'm left to wonder if it would have been as good as Undying.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ack wrote:Huh, I've seen the film and had heard the game was supposed to be real, but I didn't know Clive Barker had worked on it. Now I'm left to wonder if it would have been as good as Undying.

I never played Undying. This was right around when I got big into Halo & fire sale DC titles. Drifting away from PC. I should go back to it.

Demonik looks interesting to me. The trailer actually looks like something that would've grabbed my attention.

Gameplay, physics, graphics, & overall look reminds me of 6th gen Second Sight & Psi-Ops with horror elements. It likely would've been one of those early gen type titles on the 360 but can't fault it too much for that.

Ack

Post by Ack »

Undying is fun. It's a little rough around the edges, but I found the story and setting interesting enough to overlook its flaws.

If Demonik was supposed to be anything like Second Sight, I probably wouldn't have picked it up on release, but I'd have been happy to grab it eventually. Well worth a few bucks for a few days entertainment.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Jagosaurus wrote:
stickem wrote:Loved the movie. Just thought the game was some 3rd person spawn beaten up clone. I didnt pay attention to the game much or know it was real. It was on the oxbox in the movie though, not the 360. What part was seth rogans crew?

Yeah, they even show the game in an original xbox case but it was planned for the 360.

I was referring more to the Judd Apatow style of stoner humor, but Jonah Hill is also a main character.

Shit I had forgot about jonah hills character in that movie all together. Dante should be with Rogan's click, he's stoned in every movie lol.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I honestly didn't know that this was meant to be a real game. I love that movie, so I'm kinda sad we never saw that game.

I also pretend Seth Roget isn't in the movie.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
marurun

Post by marurun »

Seth Roget, the great stoner thesaurus author
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Jonah Hill is in it but not Rogan... or Seth Roger 8)

Do we have a canceled games we would've liked to see thread? I could easily rattle a few more off.