New AMD Ryzen 3000 series - Worth considering?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: New AMD Ryzen 3000 series - Worth considering?

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:My i7-920 could encode a 4.7 GB in about 15 minutes, and again this is important to note, the CPU utilization at this time was only 5-10%. Meaning that not only could my first gen i7 do the same task in a fraction of the time it took my first gen P4, but it only took a fraction of the CPU's total power to do it!

I am not sure if its the same or not, but I had a core2duo 2Ghz I believe that would basically melt if you encode a movie using Handbrake, or if you rip a DVD. CPU will have no problem reaching 212F and be like that for 1.5-2hrs and usage will be 100%.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

The review onslaught has started (intro to Linus's reminded me of this thread), and...more or less as anticipated. Ryzen third gen closes a lot of the gap in areas where Intel CPUs have done better, and pulls further ahead in areas Ryzen already excelled. So, yes, definitely worth considering :lol:
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

isiolia wrote:The review onslaught has started (intro to Linus's reminded me of this thread), and...more or less as anticipated. Ryzen third gen closes a lot of the gap in areas where Intel CPUs have done better, and pulls further ahead in areas Ryzen already excelled. So, yes, definitely worth considering :lol:

Does AMD's advancement in CPU mean their their GPUs are also advancing in competition with Nvidia? Since a GPU is basically a graphics dedicated CPU AFAIK.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

RCBH928 wrote:Does AMD's advancement in CPU mean their their GPUs are also advancing in competition with Nvidia? Since a GPU is basically a graphics dedicated CPU AFAIK.

I guess you could call CPUs and GPUs similar in the fact that they're both processors. But operationally they are completely different.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:Does AMD's advancement in CPU mean their their GPUs are also advancing in competition with Nvidia? Since a GPU is basically a graphics dedicated CPU AFAIK.

True as that is to an extent, I wouldn't lump their CPU and GPU arms together like that.

That being said, the GPUs that they launched at the same time - after a last-minute MSRP reduction to compete with new nVidia SKUs - are quite competitive at their price points. They don't currently have anything that'd match up to nVidia's higher end products, but if you're looking at what'd be the new mid-tier ($400ish) or lower, then you'd do well to look at what they have available and consider what features you want. IE, a 5700XT has better raw performance than a similarly priced RTX card, but lacks the fancy new ray tracing stuff those have. Picking up their older cards in the sub-$200 space would also tend to get better performance for the money than what nVidia has there.