Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Soldier Blue
128-bit

Need a job. I don't like using Craigslist. Don't delete

by Soldier Blue Sun May 19, 2019 9:12 am

Thought I would come back here and ask for help. This has been a nice community for me and we can continue to help each other out here. I'm in the central Texas area if it helps. Not too much has been going my way in my life. I think the president also plays a factor here. There seems to be quite a lot less money for poor people around. Things happen. Just let me know guys.
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

Re: Need a job. I don't like using Craigslist. Don't delete

by Ziggy587 Sun May 19, 2019 9:17 am

Did you try looking on Indeed? That seems to be the standard go-to job hunting place these days.

https://www.indeed.com/
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sun May 19, 2019 12:37 pm

I'm not from, or connected with anyone in Texas, so I can't help directly, but Ziggy's recommendation of Indeed is a good one if you have a resume, and want to get it out to recruiters and hiring managers. Linked In is also a good website for contacting people at a company you might want to work at, or getting your information out to recruiters. It might not be as effective if you don't have a bit of experience, or some skills that you want to sell to potential employers though. I'm not sure what kind of work you're looking for exactly, but it sounds like you just need a job, and aren't really worried about a career. If that's the case, then I would potentially recommend looking into temp agencies in your area. Not as a permanent solution, mind you, but they can at least get something into your pockets, and maybe give you some opportunities for slightly more stable employment at one of the locations they might send you to.

If you have a community college near you (that's accredited) I'd also recommend stopping in to talk with someone about certificate programs. They might have some financial assistance for you. In particular, if they have a certificate for coding/programming, that would be a good investment, if you can manage it. The employment landscape will continue to change dramatically in the near future, though, and there are really no plans to deal with it, especially in the US. Coding is in high demand now, but at a certain point, AI and other potential automation routines will probably put a lot of people out of work again. You really need some skill(s) to keep you going, and not all skills you might pick up will be in demand forever. If you're able bodied, and can find a tradesperson who will let you apprentice, that's another good avenue to look at. Certain trades will offer more longevity, though, in terms of physical demands.

Sorry I can't be more help, but best of luck finding something.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sun May 19, 2019 12:53 pm

There is a lot of overlap between Indeed and Glassdoor but not completely, so check both out. Where you look also depends on what kind of work you do. If you do tech stuff, you'll be looking in different places than non-profit work.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sun May 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Just an FYI for Indeed, it's not just for polished resumes applying to high level positions. There's job posting on Indeed for literally everything. You can upload your own resume, or Indeed will help you build one.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sun May 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Try a recruiter. Most folks don't realize recruiters are FREE to job applicants the vast majority of the time. They get paid a finders fee by the companies looking for good hires. They'll have standing relationships with these companies and you'll be much more likely to get a face to face versus online job boards with 1,000s of applicants.

Think of them as travel agents, which are usually free to vacationers, and compensated by hotels/resorts on the back end.

Those recruiters can also help find you a temp job while searching for your more permanent home. That temp position can also address the chicken & egg scenario of "it's easier to find a job when you have one." It sucks, but that's true.

As mentioned, dust that resume off. A recruiter will ask for this. Many local libraries have a center than can assist with resumes and cover letters.

We all wish you well bud, but blaming any1, including politicans won't get you far in this search. Keeping away from politics but sticking to straight economics:
The US unemployment rate fell to 3.6 percent in April 2019 from 3.8 percent in the previous month, below market expectations of 3.8 percent. It was the lowest jobless rate since December 1969

The S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite rallied on Tuesday to notch record closing highs. - Published 1:56 AM ET Tue, 23 April 2019

The economy is up as a whole. Texas has one of the best economies in the states, especially with oil back up from the 2014 spiral. Even within that, jobs can be competitive and frustrating at an individual level. Pull in help from recruiters and resume gurus. Lean on them and your network. Call all your past employers. Get others in your corner. Good luck. Keep your head up.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sun May 19, 2019 9:23 pm

I'm a public librarian, so my job experience is probably a little different from most folks:
I don't know if this applies to your area, but see if there's a website for your library system (the system being the regional network of libraries rather than just your local library) and see if they have a job page. In my system there are regularly postings for jobs that don't require a degree; a lot of them are part time but it's better than nothing and you might end up with a path towards something that's both decent-paying and full-time.

You might also want to see about taking local civil service tests. Clerical positions can be a good option that doesn't require specialized knowledge.

As a stopgap, it can't hurt to try to pick up a hobby that you might be able to monetize. If you can make something by hand and sell it at a craft show you might be able to make a little money, even if it's not enough to really keep your head above water.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever