Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Slingplayer help

by Tanooki Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:36 pm

About a year and a half ago we got into a long thread about streaming services, PS vue, and the rest and it was a pretty good thing. At the time I was looking to switch providers as it got dicey on the price but ended up making a slick deal having to put up with a dish.

Anyway long story short, was out doing a goodwill trolling today for a couple hours and I hit the mother of all lucky finds for many months. A nearly new in the box with most cables still sealed up Slingbox 500, these retail for $300 and it set me back all of $9!

I was thinking of the obvious margin on that, but I started to read into it and now I'm having serious second thoughts. Are any of you familiar with it or its uses? I'm trying to dig a bit on google, amazon, etc and I get some happy reviews mostly, but nothing so much as a setup for stupid type manual or guide on the thing. I was able to hook it into the TV as a bypass and confirmed it works.

The thing is it appears to somehow allow me to turn my cable/dvr box into a zombie basically of sorts that I can control through my phone, tablet, other persons PC, whatever if i use some kind of an app it appears. I can not find any real good explanation how this all works and how easy or not the setup is. I can tell as much I'd need to hook it up again the way I did, and buy some $15 app (though there is an ad dressed one for free to try it) but anyone who may have a clue i'd love to know.

I'll cross post this at another site, trying to see what I can figure out here as this is very interesting.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Slingplayer help

by Jagosaurus Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:55 am

Sling box allows you to access your TV outside of your house or on other devices. You run your OTA or services through it. I don't think it'll work with OTT IP streaming services.

Sling Media is owned by Dish (as is streaming Sling TV). The Dish Hopper DVRs have this box built into them & it's how they handle remote viewing. I never had to set one up individually as it was incorporated into my Dish Hopper. As discussed elsewhere, I have PSVue now.

Check out the LoCast app. I have it on Roku, free locals in Denver, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, and New York markets (including burbs). You're in west Houston area IIRC. I get the following streams for free:

- ABC
- CBS
- NBC
- Fox
- CW
- PBS
- My20
- Ion
- Multiple Spanish channels

Vue has locals in Houston, but LoCast might help you in your cord cutting decisions. Outside of football season, I might just be using Locast, a la carte VOD network apps, & Netflix.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:24 pm

I'm not in Houston, Louisville KY here. I'll see what I can dig up with this. If I can figure it out I may keep it, though the money is mighty tempting. The thought of being able to access my box remotely to play stuff off of it live or perhaps the DVR too would be a hell of a bonus. DirectTV has a nice app but the tools limit what channels work which gets really infuriating at times. They all work in my general town area, but if I leave the area channels start dropping like crazy which is just disgusting.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:01 pm

Sorry about that... had your locale mixed up with another user. There's a handful of us from Houston.

I loved the built in Sling functionality with Dish. Used it many times.

The standalone sling boxes were big before most providers allowed remote viewing. They're still popular among OTA cord cutters but newer devices added more features such as HD Homerun & Tablo.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever