Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: Ack's pre-gaming October thread

by Ack Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:52 pm

16. Final Exam

Well, this was bland. Imagine Halloween. Now throw in Animal House. Now completely remove any likability for most characters and any backstory or motivation for the killer. Set it during the last day of finals, and that's pretty much what you've got here. Final Exam is about as run-of-the-mill as you can get in terms of being a slasher. It doesn't really provide us with anything new, and the truth is, the psycho slasher is just some stoic dude with a kitchen knife.

What does it provide? An insight into fraternity life in the early 1980s, which apparently stuck to the opinion that college kids were just having fun, no matter whether they were cheating on tests, selling drugs, or even faking a mass shooting as a prank that everyone simply laughs at. Yeah, a handful of masked guys show up and shoot "victims" in the crowd before carrying off the bodies, which are revealed just to be more frat guys who are in on the prank. Gee, doesn't that sound like fun?

Is there a connection between the slasher and the final girl? No, there doesn't seem to be. He just drives up and starts killing folks because he can I guess. The dude kinda looks like a young Peter Boyle with hair, and...yeah, I got nothing. I think he wanted to be Michael Myers but forgot the mask.

Oh, but we get hazing! Don't you all miss the days where you could strip a pledge down to his underwear, tie him to a tree, and shove ice cubes down his tighty-whites before leaving him there all night? Because I don't. Yeah, it's just not for me. I don't really have any sympathy for most of the characters I see get killed, because there just isn't any reason to like them.

Do you know who I'm sad about seeing get killed? Radish, the nerd. He's named Radish, and he's got a weird preoccupation with mass murder. He's not in the frat, but yet the frat guys all seem to quasi-get along with him. It's a weird interaction.

If you want a good slasher...go elsewhere. If you want college antics...go elsewhere. Hell, Ghoulies III was a better college movie than this.

1. DeepStar Six
2. Harbinger Down
3. Island Claws
4. Rabid
5. Attack of the Killer Donuts
6. Demon Wind
7. The Flying Serpent
8. Pumpkinhead II: Blood Wings
9. Galaxy of Terror
10. The Dead Pit
11. It Follows
12. Don't Breathe
13. The Alien Factor
14. Howling III: The Marsupials
15. Mutant
16. Final Exam
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:27 pm

Ha, Ghoulies III is so bad. So that means something.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:22 pm

Damnit, Ack! Stop watching all the movies on my watchlist!

Aw, fuck it. I'll just watch it anyway and post about it later.
Ack

by Ack Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:14 pm

Michi wrote:Damnit, Ack! Stop watching all the movies on my watchlist!

Ha, tell you what. Send me your list, and I'll try to avoid what you're checking out so we can hit Amazon Prime's selection hard.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:55 pm

Ack wrote:
Michi wrote:Damnit, Ack! Stop watching all the movies on my watchlist!

Ha, tell you what. Send me your list, and I'll try to avoid what you're checking out so we can hit Amazon Prime's selection hard.

Haha sweet. List sent.

Also, tomorrow is Oct. 1st. I shall have a write-up ready. Prepare thyselves.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:10 pm

Quick question, are we going to use this thread as the catch-all for our October movie month? Or should I start another thread and post elsewhere? I don't wish to rain on Ack's pre-October parade.
Ack

by Ack Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:18 pm

I was thinking we should start a new thread. It seems like it'd be the right thing to do.

I hope to see you all in the 2018 horror thread. I have more movies to discuss.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever